1978 KZ650-C2

Wow, it's been a while since I've posted on my project thread. Between the rain and family responsibilities I haven't had much time to ride or wrench.

Today I had the opportunity to mount my mini gauges, the process was pretty painless. My dad fabbed up a bracket and soldered the connections for me. Here's some before and afters:

20130419_174022-2.jpg

IMG_2581.jpg

2891f7e7-4993-4ebb-87ca-1a14f2cba750.jpg

20130707_142414.jpg

20130707_142428.jpg

Great job with the bracket. Those mini gauges really clean up the front end, I might be biased though since I have them on mine too.

CoolerKing said:
Wow, it's been a while since I've posted on my project thread. Between the rain and family responsibilities I haven't had much time to ride or wrench.

Today I had the opportunity to mount my mini gauges, the process was pretty painless. My dad fabbed up a bracket and soldered the connections for me. Here's some before and afters:

20130419_174022-2.jpg

IMG_2581.jpg

2891f7e7-4993-4ebb-87ca-1a14f2cba750.jpg

20130707_142414.jpg

20130707_142428.jpg

Looks great! Do you have any pics of how you built it in some way?

No, sorry I didn't snap any shots while I put it together.

It's really simple though, I took a piece of thin stiff cardboard (cereal box) and made a template using the mounting points on my triple and the mounts on the new gauges while leaving space for the ignition switch. My dad took my template to work transferred it to some steel and cut it out. Then I painted and installed it. The back of the ignition switch was exposed so I used a cut down rubber boot from an old headlight to clean it up.

Here's a rough template I made.
20130723_162621.jpg

CoolerKing said:
Thanks...

Just a few more things left to do, still need to
-install mini gauges
-polish some more aluminum
-odds and ends

but as of this weekend I am registered and insured !!! :D :D :D :D :D

IMG_3448.jpg
Bike turned out great!!! Well done!!!

CoolerKing said:

It's really simple though, I took a piece of thin stiff cardboard (cereal box) and made a template using the mounting points on my triple and the mounts on the new gauges while leaving space for the ignition switch. My dad took my template to work transferred it to some steel and cut it out. Then I painted and installed it. The back of the ignition switch was exposed so I used a cut down rubber boot from an old headlight to clean it up.

20130723_162621.jpg

I see! Good idea! So the version you used (the real one) looks almost exactly as the template, only more clean?

yep, more clean and made out of metal. If you need more pictures of it on the bike I can try to get some for you this evening.

CoolerKing said:
Here you go. Hope it helps.

Perfect! Thanks a lot! It really did! Now I know how to cut it.

Another thing. My instrument indicators down at the bottom started to show red. My indicators doesn't have the text left as these, but I guess that it is oil to the left and fuel to the right? Might know what the blue light is also?

Attachments

• Speedo.jpg
    Speedo.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 972
Yellow is turn signals. Green is neutral. Blue is high beams. Red is oil. Looks like that has a fuel light as well on the bottom right.

onetruepunk87 said:
Yellow is turn signals. Green is neutral. Blue is high beams. Red is oil. Looks like that has a fuel light as well on the bottom right.

Thanks, made it quite easier and important to know when it's the oil instead of gas..

Photo-heavy update: :D :D :D

Put together a little photo shoot with my brother this afternoon. I think the bike is finished for now, thanks for the motivation along the way!

IMG_4483.jpg

IMG_4484shop.jpg

IMG_4485shop.jpg

IMG_4489.jpg

IMG_4490shop.jpg

IMG_4509shop.jpg

IMG_4510.jpg

IMG_4512.jpg

IMG_4513shop.jpg

IMG_4515.jpg

IMG_4516shop.jpg

IMG_4517shop.jpg

And just for comparison, here it is when I first brought it home.
IMG_2587.jpg

IMG_4243.jpg

IMG_4499.jpg

Outstanding job on the bike! I really like that it's a resto-mod instead of some other type custom. Great pics.

How you like them mirrors? I have super bike bars and was thinking about goin with something similar.

hc243102 said:
How you like them mirrors? I have super bike bars and was thinking about goin with something similar.

I like them, I used them on my last bike too. They work great, not too much vibration. I was thinking about switching them out but I can't find anything that looks like it would "fit" better.

CoolerKing said:

20130723_162621.jpg

Sorry to bother again. But you wouldn't have the measures, possibly in cm. for the template or the finished version? About to try to cut one out but I'm not able to measure ATM.

Back
Top Bottom