Project "walrus" Yam XS 750

Re: Project "walrus" Yam XS 750

So I ran into a problem removing the clutch side cover...all screws removed,cable of the generator of the generator has enough slack but still doesnt move more than 2MM.is the whole side cover held by more screws from the inside?how can I get that thing of :)?
Thanks in advance!

7709a8887829305a40dd07e66231924b.jpg

Gesendet von meinem SM-A310F mit Tapatalk

Its a close fit between rotor and stator thats causing this, you also need to remove the wire clips on the bottom of the crankcase to remove the stator assembly.

Finally I was able to take that thing....had to take the small with the stator of then get rid the of the stator.
How can I take off the main chain and the assembly that sits on the clutch basket?I removed a snap ring but cannot slide off the whole thing.
0b827674deb34fc4967595fb9c3ac2da.jpg
9e8655078d3a80689545eee84efe7f89.jpg

Thanks in advance!

There are two of them. ☺
At this stage you actually need a workshop manual. But take the two snaprings off, and the large shock absorber unit will come out. Then you remove the drive chain and sprocket. After that clutch outer basket can be removed. Then i think its just a matter of removing the six screws holding the pressure plate. Be sure to withdraw them evenly to avoid side loading. And on reassembly, dont torque them. Very fragile threads, just put a drop of loctite 243 on and tighten til they bottom out, no more. Good luck!

datadavid said:
There are two of them. ☺
At this stage you actually need a workshop manual. But take the two snaprings off, and the large shock absorber unit will come out. Then you remove the drive chain and sprocket. After that clutch outer basket can be removed. Then i think its just a matter of removing the six screws holding the pressure plate. Be sure to withdraw them evenly to avoid side loading. And on reassembly, dont torque them. Very fragile threads, just put a drop of loctite 243 on and tighten til they bottom out, no more. Good luck!
Hey data!happy new year :)

Thanks for your insight,last night I pretty much removed everything off the clutch (down to the inner clutch basket which is held by a giant nut).
There is some wear on that basket,so I will probably replace this.
367ec8f35feab1e64eea3e6bf77b69a7.jpg
1a84b394655935e7bf69935d9af27823.jpg
232fd6d873ce30d72bae49faa0e85aca.jpg
9fe80304683f3029ab2634b03b7b2ab4.jpg

The steel ball was in there so this could cause the problem.
I wasnt able to remove the pushrod,even when trying to push it trough from the outer side (i removed the blocking steel bar which is seen in the pic before I tried that).
Is this normal that one cannot push trough the pushrod?

But I think I found the reason for the clutch problem:
Dissassembled the clutch on my parts bike and there is a giant snapring missing on my stock bike!!!!maybe the PO forgot that ring...could this missing ring cause this?

The giant snapring inhibts the 'outer ring' of the assembly from moving in and out.

There are two different types of clutches, the later does not use the big snap ring. Which year is your parts bike and your project bike?

Basket looks fine by the way. That small wear can be filed down, but doesnt look necessary.

datadavid said:
There are two different types of clutches, the later does not use the big snap ring. Which year is your parts bike and your project bike?
I'm not sure.I think they are both 1977 1T5's....
The project bike has no snap ring but there is a groove for the ring...

You can see the difference on the parts, the drive sprocket that uses a snap ring has a deeper groove in it, the other one does not!
They also need the correct shim between sprocket and clutch basket.

datadavid said:
You can see the difference on the parts, the drive sprocket that uses a snap ring has a deeper groove in it, the other one does not!
They also need the correct shim between sprocket and clutch basket.
Thanks data!
I will check on how the clutch plate is marked.IIRC the have the same 'name' casted onto them.

The groove is there and I will take the ring out of the parts bike and check if the grooves are the same.

Is it normal that one cannot 'push out' the pushrod?

Is there a good way on how to check on the main chain?Are there specs on the slack of the chain?

Push rod should be a smooth sliding fit. Yours may be stuck and causing problems?

It slides like 3-4 cm back and forth smoothly.
My guess is that one the rod is only removable from the left side.

I never thought about it really, but i do think pushrod can be inserted from the right side. Dont remember how i did..

And about the chain - when it hits the case it starts to make bad noises. Most people change it, but tensioners kan be made to get may extra 1000kms from it.

Hey guys!

Long time no hear,didnt have lots of time to work on my project.
Life and health issues interfered with my ambitions.
I'm still stuck with the faulty clutch.
Right hands side (generator side) is sorted and should be fine.
Next step will be opening up the ignition side and check the actuation mechanism and checking the pushrod and pushrod seal (which seems to leak oil).
My last bet on that problem is either a completely dry and dirty mechanism or a worn pushrod (my parts bike had a massively worn pushrod,so I guess this isnt uncommon).
Anything more I should look out for?
1923cbecea14042875fe849bffe4387d.jpg
d46e9bb673abcaa823ce62aa9b4d8358.jpg
6cac6743efec6dabc509adc32c95822f.jpg
345da0da5ede576be69e8b6273084916.jpg

Steps will be:
-removing all case bolts on the left hand side
-turn crank till ignition mark shows 1F
-remove middle bolt thst holds ingition on the crank
-then remove the ingition plate and then the whole assembly

When I reassemble I need to be really careful cuz of the dissappearing crank pin which aligns the ign. Advancer...beware of the dissapearing crank pin :) !

Back
Top Bottom