Found OLD Honda near Algonquin Park, Ontario. Not sure what to do with it!!!

Hey guys.

I am also in Ontario.. though more towards Kingston. My father is currently in Haiti for the next month, so no commercial transactions will be possible for a while regardless.

Also, when I do decide what to do with the CA77, I will start a new thread of have this one moved.

Thanks for all the encouragement and advice!

pacomotorstuff said:
Hey Holy,
Not trying to cut into a potential bit of commerce between your Dad and Tuna, but if Pops doesn't want to part with his Cessna stuff and Tuna can use them, I have 2, Luscombe 8F cowls that I'd be willing to sell at a reasonable price.
I'm in the Toronto Ontario Canada area, but ship all over...
Pat

I like the air inlets on the those but, really want the av-metal for a project so maybe I would bite... $$??

They wont fit this: new power plant eh?
speedbir.jpg

Sorry about the total thread rob but Tuna, email me at pacomotorstuff@cogeco.ca and I can send you a bunch of photos...
And Holy... a thought about the Dream; Honda built a "production racer" CB92, 125cc bike from 1959 to 1964. It was based on the CA92, the 125cc version of the CA95, but came with big brakes, funky tank, 18" wheels, etc etc.
My thought was, maybe it would be neat to do a copycat version of the CB92, using the CA77 you have? It would look like it was on steroids...
BTW, I started on an ersatz version of the CB92 to vintage race, but could never figure out how to get the horsepower from it to keep up with the disc valve two strokes and 200cc bikes, so it's parked while I work on the BS175.
Keep in touch on your Dream project; a lot of times, I know a guy who knows and guy who knows...
Pat

Thanks for the advice Paco... I wonder where I could source a fairing like the one below.....

Attachments

• honda-cb92-sport.jpg
    honda-cb92-sport.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 811
Someone tell me this isn't a cool idea....

It would solve the problem of whether to spend the money on re-chroming everything.

I have some time before my other project is done for spring, but this looks like fun.

Attachments

• design_img_f_1443224_s.png
    design_img_f_1443224_s.png
    168.1 KB · Views: 857
well that bike has zero suspension, but i like the look, raise it up 3-4'' with some suspension and it would be perfect

The cartoon photo looks like a goofed up CB92 with 19 inch rims front and back. The wrapped pipes may be the artist's "artistic" impression of the uber-rare CS95 pipes with slash-cut mufflers and the zero suspension might be found "lacking". I wanted to run high pipes on my CA95 but not a chance I could afford CS pipes and was never certain whether I could get CL160 pipes to fit - not that cheap these days either. I've never seen left and right high pipes for a CA77 but the scrambler 305 pipes may fit your motor if you have a tremendous woody for such things.
I'm not certain what the full fairing is, but if you want your bike street legal (at least here in Ontario), among other things, no lens cover over the headlight unless it was factory installed / approved. The few full fairings on the old street bikes usually just cut a hole for a headlamp - and you don't have to use the square headlamp, so a number of solutions present themselves.
I think I must be starting to sound like a harpy or something, but a TD1 or 2 Yamaha fairing would / should fit okay and is absolutely period correct. Whether or not you stick with the 16" tires is up to you. I'd have to check the CA77 front wheel I have stashed away, but it may be possible to convert it to double leading shoe (DLS) with some welding and machine work.
But, you must be tired of listening to us relics yip, yap and opine about your project. Remember, its your ride and as long as you like what you build and the end product is safe, I'm good with it.
Pat

BTW Holy,
My brain cell isn't firing on all one cylinder. I forgot to mention that I make TD1 fairings as well as a few other fairings and bits that would fit your Dream, should you go "in that direction".
I also have a set of 14 inch apehanger handlebars that came on my CA95, should you wish to go in "the other" direction.
Pat

4 or 5 years back I saw a 305 Dream at Barber with 18" Superhawk wheels. It has a very rare early dream tank and a café styled seat. The rear fender was bobbed and no fender on the front. Also had the original headers with reverse cone megs and rearsets.
Rider

I hope you have a photo of the Dream with 18 inch wheels you could either post or send me, because I would like to see how the conversion was done.
The rear isn't a problem - I think it is pretty much a bolt-in, but the front hub backing plate has to have a bushing to allow it to rotate slightly when the suspension moves up and down, as the torque arm bolts to the main fork leg and not the pivot arm like the smaller Hondas. The bushing also allows you to torque the front axle nut to factory specs without the backing plate binding up.
I had a Super Hawk front wheel but sold it before fitting it to my CA95. I tried a CB350 front wheel when I was building the Ersatz and it didn't work due to the binding issue, so I bought a CA77 front hub - much larger diameter but still SLS. If I ever feel the need for more front brake, Victory Motors has a post on how some types of SLS brakes can be made into DLS and I think the CA77 brake is a candidate for that mod.
The CB350, CB77, CA77, CB92 and CA95 all have a 15mm front axle but hub widths vary. The CB92 front brake, CB72/77 front brake and the CB450 front brake take the same brake shoes, but the hubs are different.
Hope the above information was of some use to you.
Pat

Thanks for all the great advice. I don't mind at all.

Couple of things: I love the thick fenders on the CA77 so they will stay.
I couldn't imagine riding that drawing bike with no suspension, I don't want to build a piece of art. I want to ride it.
Unless there is a really, really advantageous reason to change them, I am fine with the 16 rims front and back and I really like whitewalls, though I am not set on using them.

But again, its all talk for the next month or so. I am in the middle of restoring one of these....

Bit of a long, tedious project actually.

I really wanted a fun daily driver without a large investment. This fit the bill.

Attachments

• imagesDKLEXV5R.jpg
    imagesDKLEXV5R.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 877
Here's a picture of the bike. It was built by Hoosier Tom on the Honda 305 board.
This is what he wrote about it:

"I had a hot rod Dream motor I built 3 years ago just crying for a frame so I used this one after I worked the rear fender like a CB92. The motor had re-indexed CB77 cams to go with the 360 crank and I also used CB77 valves. I laced 18" rims to the drums and used a CB77 transmission. I am just starting the tuning process. Used a CB77 speedo/tach unit by grafting the bucket mount ring to the Dream bucket. Also had an old C72 tank lying around and used that. Unfortunately, I did not have an early seat to use so I have that ugly gap between the tank and seat. Ditched the original shocks and went with 11" Hagons."

Attachments

• Custom Dream.jpg
    Custom Dream.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 806
I was wrong about the rear sets and mufflers, must have gotten it confused with another bike at Barber. As Tim stated earlier, Barber is full of "Dream" variations. Also mistaken about him using Superhawk wheels, he laced 18" rims to the Dream hubs.

Rider

HolyRoller said:
Thanks for the advice Paco... I wonder where I could source a fairing like the one below.....

I have a Rickman fairing somewhat like that in the rafters of my Toronto garage - not being used.

I have been doing lots of thinking about the Dream project. I am almost finished the '84 GS750, at least for now, so I will have a bike on the road for May it appears.

I would love to lace some 17 or 18" rims to the stock hub, but wonder about sourcing tires. I would like to have white walls on the bike down the road.

I expect I will begin a tear down of this bike sometime in early May but I would like to hear it run or at least fire before that. I will have some time to think about the shape of the project so no rush but I am really thinking about high exhaust even if it is custom made that way. I have a friend who welds very well and I know I can buy exhaust parts. The difficult part will be redesigned/fabbing modded side covers to allow the exhaust to pass on both sides. Sounds fun though.

The other problem with this bike is insurance. Maybe Tim can point me in the right direction... but who in Ontario would be willing to insure a bike this old AND one that will be heavily modded? The insurance industry pretty much sucks.

Back
Top Bottom