Anyone doing any sportster builds?

kayakguy

Curious if anyone has done one or is in the process. I have been thinking on one for a few reasons...they can be had cheap(ish), there is a million engine components parts and upgrades, there are a ton to choose from on the used market, and I think they are pretty good bikes.

I was looking at the Roland Sands tail sections and like what I see. I am leaning towards a newer model 08+ to take advantage of fuel injection and a rubber mounted engine both.

I am curious in my research though on two things. I think I am going to have to get a different tank as I don't know about the traditional sportster tank in a cafe configuration. I also am curious about seat height in the end as my short wife may take it over as she likes cafe bike, but many are just too tall for her.

Yeah not a traditional bike, and I don't care. I just restored a 68 TR6R last year and to be honest for a daily rider old school ain't always that great. I am looking to build a clean, good running machine that has zero issues and is ready to ride at any time.

So if you have done it, share what you have. If you have any real advice let me know.

Thanks.

Re: Anyone doing anybsportster builds?

Haven't started yet, but we picked up two Ironheads a month or two ago. Looking forward to jumping in to them as soon as we finish up the three builds we're in the middle of now.

Are you going to cafe them? If you don't mind my asking did you get a good deal on the iron heads? Seems like around here the newer bikes can be had for less. I figure I can get a good 1200 for $3500 with low miles. But it also seems the majority are the custom models which I want to avoid.

Traded a 65 Bonneville frame, and enough parts to put together two T-120 engines for two complete bikes, one with a freshly rebuilt powerplant.

Going to café them, yes.

I see them quite a bit around here, road worthy bikes in the $1,000 to $1,500 range.

I always say this, but if you're gonna be digging in pretty deep I recommend just buying an 883 on the cheap. The bike plus a 1212 or 1250 kit/cams/headwork will cost a good deal less than a stock 1200 and be a shitload faster. The 883 is geared a little differently, so even if they put the same hp to the ground it would still be quicker. There are tonnnnns of parts out there now and quite a few builds as far as cafe Sportsters are concerned. I built one a year or two ago out of an 883 and that bike was an absolute riot. A good 2-into-1 exhaust, and some good suspension upgrades go a long way.

Attachments

• IMG_4206.PNG
    IMG_4206.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 252
When you changed the suspension what did your seat height end up at? What suspension did you use? Good looking bike by the way.

Not sure what the seat height ended up at, but Sportsters sit so low already that it would probably still be suitable for shorter riders. Those are Burly Stiletto shocks, absolutely loved them. They really transformed that bike into a more usable more comfortable ride. They have dual spring rates so they can actually handle most anything you throw at them, from cruising, to corner carving, to off road. Best bang for the buck upgrade I made the whole time I had that bike (besides adding front brakes!)

While this one is a bit more extreme it shows what can happen with a thorough plan. The newer Sportsters can easily be "cafe'd" but they are still heavy and poor handling compared to other bikes. Parts for H-D's are everywhere but not real cheap. Used to be H-D stood for Hundred Dollars, nothing for an H-D is as low as a Hundred Dollars now. Look at the Norley thread here also for some Sportster based idea.

1327cc, 332lbs(dry), 100+hp, 27" seat height

It's ready to run. Just need an appropriate starter for it. My handheld wouldn't turn it over with a small motorcycle battery so I tried a large car battery and still nothing. I'm trying to "borrow" a roll starter to fire it up as there are still a few thing needing to be done before it can be push started. Right now I am seriously broke and hunting another day job to help fund this thing.

So you had it on a dyno not running and got those numbers or......your completely full of shit? Or wait Does a pull behind dyno at a fire hall truck show give you hp number if you push your bike past it?

Would you be willing to bet your RD that mine won't make 100hp? Oh wait, why would I want that, I understand you gave up on ever making that run. Just stick to what you are good at, drinking beer.

You understand hahahahaha that's a joke

You paid a "engine builder" to put a fucking Harley motor together !?!?
One of the simplest internal combustion anything on the planet and you couldn't figure it out. I'm glad they don't teach your brand of understanding in school! We would all be playing with our own shit in the corner if they did.
I sold the rd ya sister fuckin hick. I'm surprised that news didn't find it way to the fire hall bike show crowd yet. That reminds me you win anymore belt buckles lately

That sportster will never run with out head gaskets anyway ya retard

And I love that twenty dollar fairing I didn't think I would ever see one on a 45000 dollar bike haha you buy that "cafe racer combo" with that fairing, clubman and bar end mirrors and shit turn signals off ebay

Back
Top Bottom