Oh my aching Everything! Frickin' carbon...

Killman77

当有疑问时踢你的敌人在生殖器上,你可以道歉后
For those who may not be aware, the second day after a crazy workout is the worst, two days ago was push-up day at the dojo. Which means a lot of fricken' push-ups, especially for an old man ;D

So today, I got to "freshen up" the wraps I put on this kid's bike a year ago, told him I'd re-spray them for free, (a year ago). He was in a hurry when I first did them, promptly took them on a 3000+km road trip the next day, including beer-keg races through a field using the bike as a plow. Apparently he didn't ride-cure the pipes either before heading off, so the paints didn't get to set-up properly. I had offered him a re-spray touch-up, for the following week, because there were a couple of drips on the underside of one of his turn-outs.

Well he gets his buddies to drop them off a year later, and holy shit, what a mess. I can tell that he's been letting them sit soaking wet, and that he rode with them long long long after the silicone coating wore off. Would've been nice to get my hands on them when it would've done some practical good, but c'est la vie, he knew I was just going to clean and make 'em pretty-ish again. There's some spot-rusting because the paint didn't set properly, so I took care of that, and the clamps are rusted out on the front pipe, so I take those off... Holy Shit!

All those stories about pipes rotting out because of wraps? Yup, I was looking at it. Wraps had rotted out going down the upright portion of the header, they crumbled off in my hands, and underneath? Just a ton of flaking red-coloured evil! I don't have a media-blasting rig so out come the wire and nylon wheels. Did I mention the metric fuck-ton of push-ups yet? I did? Good, carrying on then.

So, after a couple of hours of grinding and swearing, I came to realize that this was the toughest rust I'd ever seen. Like bloody diamond-tough. And when it did come off, it came off in big, thick, rigid flakes, and underneath was bright, shiny, smooth, un-pitted metal. Which is when it hit me, "Fucking exhaust leak". Kid had his pipes modified a couple of years ago with welded on turn-outs, so now the collars won't come off and one of them is bent. Wasn't rust I was dealing with it was a year's worth of CARBON! Oh my aching everything... :mad:

I'd like to recommend he just get them ceramic-coated, but I'm not sure how they're going to deal with those collars. Oh well, that's tomorrow's problem.

Back
Top Bottom