P.O.S. (Previous owner syndrome)

farmer92

Coast to Coast
You know that moment, when you just have to stop and wonder what the actual fuck someone was thinking?

I was rebuilding my tc185 and as i am putting the head back on, i just can't help feeling that the recess in the head looks awful funny... there were 3 EXTRA Head gaskets in there.
Who the hell puts 4 head gaskets on a fucking motor???
927ee6ca881633d61bb56d57d330e5ad.jpg

Anyways, just wondering what fun stuff other people had found on their bikes when they got to working on them?

I guess they were trying to lower compression. Why anyone would want to do that, especially by layering gaskets, is a mystery.

I think i figured out the chain of events that leads to stacking 4 head gaskets.

1. Individual buys bike
2.individual displeased with power of said bike.
3.person gets told that a uni filter will help the top end.
4. Uni filter is installed
5. Individual having researched extensively vaguely remembers "lower...raise...needle...??"
6. Needle is lowered in carb
7. Horrible detonation occurs
8.compression is lowered via stacked gaskets
9.bike is then run into the ground by said individual before being traded to myself.

Those rings don't look like head gaskets to me....the one that's still there doesn't even reach the mating surfaces. The gasket would most likely have holes matching the studs which would retain it......I would guess that the p.o was trying to raise compression by filling the combustion chamber....that's my guess.

All the rings are out, that is the mating surface recessed in the head.
Those are definitely the head gaskets for a suzuki ts/tc 185
The liner is raised off the top of the cylinder, and now fits perfectly into that recess.
The surface with the bolt holes does not touch with the cylinder.

He had also put a uni filter on and lowered the needle in the carb with the stock jet. It must have been horribly lean, which could be confirmed by the detonation marks on the head.

His solution to the clutch not disengaging properly?
Dropped a ball bearing in between the two pushrods.

I stand corrected Farmer.....I have never seen that arrangement before....although, I have seen a ball bearing between the clutch push rods ! Can't remember what machine though?

Back
Top Bottom