1979 CB650 Cafe Redo - update march 31

Re: 1979 CB650 Cafe Redo - Tail Section - Direction chosen

jay_kent said:
I did the hole layout in Solidworks then printed onto 2 - 8 1/2"x 11 sheets of paper. So if anyone wants a copy of this pattern or a different one let me know I'll flip you a pdf that you can print. I'll need your outer and inner dimension of the brake rotor and a rough sketch of your hole pattern.
Maybe we'll start a collection of down loadable patterns for the gang.

But cobalt bits are the stuff. Expensive, one bit is around 5 bucks for the 1/8" and around $7 for the 7/16" but I didn't sharpen once and didn't break one so in that sense really affordable. Bought mine at Canadian Tire.

HELL YA!!!! i would love some of that action!

An old timer tought me to do it by eye. Cad would have been ok but FWIW the few thou your going to be off for a pattern like that, nobody will ever see.

Basement rat said:
An old timer tought me to do it by eye. Cad would have been ok but FWIW the few thou your going to be off for a pattern like that, nobody will ever see.

For this pattern, I agree but for some really complicated patterns I like using cad. It's my job so i can rock this up no problem. And since solidworks is parametric, once a pattern is created it's very easy to change the sizes to suit other bikes. Plus I can be an anal SOB

Just throwing this out there:

I was reading an article last night about drilling rotors and the author mentioned that the holes should not be a "perfect" pattern. Something about it can create some kind of bad harmonics throughout the disc and lead to a crack. I should have bookmarked the page.....

Back on the bike after a short hiatus with a new to me Mig welder. Getting that ready at the shop so I can start welding all of the metal bits and pieces.

I've got the mold complete for the seat hump and it turned out not to bad. From another forum, one guy suggested that you cut the fiberglass patterns out then lay them in/on the mold with spray adhesive. Once a couple of layers were in place, wet them out with your favorite epoxy. Worked the charm. The only problem was the type of resin I used. I purchased mine from Canadian tire and the resin is quite thick so a couple of spots didn't get wet. When I go to do the final layers I'll spend the extra money from a professional store and purchase fiberglass epoxy that has a lower viscosity so it wets out faster and more thoroughly. On to the pics, that's the important part.

The seat hump is my female mold. It currently fits the rear of the motorcycle frame okay but is a little wider than I wanted so I'm laying out the mat fiberglass inside the mold. This is my mold after I wet it out.

DSC08178.jpg

Mold test fit on the rear of the frame.

DSC08189.jpg

I'm also going to run with a tire hugger on the rear to keep dirt and water out of my airboxes. I originally was going to use the chrome rear fender but I'm opting for something a little different that will float on the swingarm with the tire.

I first took 2 layers of foam camping pad and taped it around the rear tire. I sealed it with packing tape. This will allow the mold to come off the tire easier. Then I did the same layering with spray adhesive. One trick I found that worked well with tight curves is to tear the mat fiberglass into chunks so the strands of fiberglass over lay each other and they form around the curve better.

DSC08194.jpg

DSC08195.jpg

Layering of the fiberglass mat for the tire hugger and seat hump. That way its only one large batch of resin.

DSC08196.jpg

First round complete.

DSC08198.jpg

Before I wet out the resin in the seat hump I trimmed all of the excess strands. Better now with a pair of scissors than later with a saw.

During this time I'm also working on the guages, cutting parts off the frame. The welder will be wired at my shop this week so I'll be doing a couple of days of practicing before I get onto the frame. Engine has be completely sandblasted and is ready for paint. Just want to get a oven to bake in.

~Jay

Big R said:
Just throwing this out there:

I was reading an article last night about drilling rotors and the author mentioned that the holes should not be a "perfect" pattern. Something about it can create some kind of bad harmonics throughout the disc and lead to a crack. I should have bookmarked the page.....

Luckily no one noticed but one hole is slightly off. Harmonics be damned

Re: 1979 CB650 Cafe Redo - More Glassing

Nice work you have going jay, I noticed the one hole, but I knew what it was for ;) , hey I will PM you my brake deminsions when I get a chance, I am in no real rush for it right now, but it is killer that you offered to do it! I can't wait to see this glass finished, won't be long befor I am doing the same on Eileen, so I am watching you closely right now! Good luck man, and keep it up!

Cheers!

Twisted, No problem with the pattern man, when you're ready. I've seen what you're working on for the wedding. Gutted my brothers century home, plaster dust in the lungs sucks.

Made some head way on the custom gauges for the bike. The holes in the lids were removed. Stainless is a pain in the ass to work with. Tough as hell. Also I took apart the existing gauges to get at the glass inside them. With a glass cutter and a grinding wheel used for stained glass I got the lenses shaped to fit inside the salt shaker lids.

Glass removed between the two steel shells

DSC08146.jpg

Glass cutter used for stained glass, final shape done on a grinder

DSC08147.jpg

Fits pretty good
DSC08148.jpg

Removing the center holes. Broke two scroll saw blades before I busted out the trusted cobalt drill and drilled a round robin of holes. Finished off back on the scroll saw to cut the tabs between each hole.
DSC08164.jpg

For reference on the size. The other gauges are much larger by comparison.

DSC08165.jpg

Love the pattern on the serving tray. Might just leave it like that. Indicator LED with chrome bezels will be going on the left side if I keep the image.

I love all your use of the odd items for parts! That is one thing that makes a home built bike cool in my book! I love telling the HD chromed mustache billet teeth guys that I made this from a kids scooter deck and that from an awning frame arm, this was a serving tray.....whatever. They all laugh at me behind my back like I don't know and think that it is stupid I did that, but I even like the fact that they make fun of it! To me, it is like the joke is on them and they don't even know. I am laughing at them laughing at me. I guess it is a win for both parties, but I am laughing at thier stupidity, lack of imagination, and skill! Nice work your doing, it is good to see your thread in my notifications again! Keep it up, when you and I are done, we can have some good laughs at the HD guys on thier $50,000 sled that looks just like the guy he is riding beside!
Cheers
Brandon

BUILT NOT BOUGHT!

That tray is the shit, I love it. Awesome stuff. Loving that you picked number 1 seat too by the way. Keep up the great work.

Hey i wanna throw out a challenge to ya. I'd like to see you make use of a soup ladel on this bike....or a fork. :D

love your use of materials. glad you went for seat 1, perfect for this bike (IMHO) ;D

tWistedWheelz said:
I love all your use of the odd items for parts! That is one thing that makes a home built bike cool in my book! I love telling the HD chromed mustache billet teeth guys that I made this from a kids scooter deck and that from an awning frame arm, this was a serving tray.....whatever. They all laugh at me behind my back like I don't know and think that it is stupid I did that, but I even like the fact that they make fun of it! To me, it is like the joke is on them and they don't even know. I am laughing at them laughing at me. I guess it is a win for both parties, but I am laughing at thier stupidity, lack of imagination, and skill! Nice work your doing, it is good to see your thread in my notifications again! Keep it up, when you and I are done, we can have some good laughs at the HD guys on thier $50,000 sled that looks just like the guy he is riding beside!
Cheers
Brandon

BUILT NOT BOUGHT!

Brandon, I'm with you on that sentiment. I know some people don't have the skills to do what we do. I don't even have the skills but I'm giving it my best shot. My bike isn't going to be towards everyones taste. I'm the one that has to ride it and look at. So I better damn well enjoy it. I'm laughing at those Goldwingers, man what pretentious riders. I know not all of them are that way but a good majority of those pricks don't wave at anything but another goldwinger. I ride my wifes sr250 around and look like I'm strangling the thing. Grizzly old bikers to power ninjas always give the wave but not those guys. What ever happened to "You meet the nicest people on a honda"

Staffy said:
Hey i wanna throw out a challenge to ya. I'd like to see you make use of a soup ladel on this bike....or a fork. :D

Challenge accepted.

Thanks for the props everyone, I'm glad I went for this seat as well. Moving my welder up to my shop, so I'll be able to finally get to all of those frame bits. Plus the carb situation is starting to come along, I've got some tricks up my sleeve for that one.

Awesome. Bring on the soup ladel challenge!!

By the way, I'm a nice person and i ride a honda. It's a tourer too, not a Goldwing or a silverwing. I suppose it could be called a Bastardwing? Maybe i'm nice because i have a yammy as well? Maybe it's because it's a Builtnotboughtwing?

interesting stuff goin on here... i want to see this ladle. :D

Yeah i'm wondering what could possibly be made out of it o_O

Alright, this may not be the best idea I've had but I'm ditching the 4 bank of Kehin carbs for a dual Mikuni setup. I perfer them to work on and the parts and jetting are much easier to get.

Here are the set of the Mikuni carburetors when pulled from the Yamaha xs400
DSC08107.jpg

Freshly cleaned with soda, just a boil afterward to dissolve the rest of the soda and we're good to go.
DSC08111.jpg

Because I'm running a 1 into 2 setup the carburetors have to be spread wider so that each one sits in the middle of 2 cylinders on the Honda head. The original return springs aren't very strong and there is a concern the engine cylinders will create a vacuum strong enough to keep the carbs open, I've decided to maintain the Honda push-pull system. Luckily I had a crap pair of cb750 carbs that was missing parts. I'll be modifying the throttle link to fit in between the Mikuni carbs
I'll thank maritime biker for the image of not being able to close the throttle.
DSC08209.jpg

The throttle link bar has been cut down. I'll be using existing parts from the carbs for adjustment so the throttle linkage will be modified to fit onto one bank with the other end drilled and tapped to fit the adjustment linkage.
DSC08211.jpg

The carb bank roughly mocked up. A bolt will be inserted into the end of the original throttle linkage and modified to accept Mikuni throttle adjustment. Here's where it sits right now.
DSC08219.jpg

I've also bobbed the fender this evening.

The fender in "original" condition.
DSC08212.jpg

Taped where I'll be trimming the ends off.
DSC08214.jpg

The final sized fender
DSC08216.jpg

Unfortunately I won't be finishing the bike on its time as it's only a couple of weeks to my birthday (the date I wanted to finish) and I've got sooo much to do. I haven't even touched the electronics, nor painted and rebuilt the engine, frame needs bits welded to it, and then there's the all of the glassed parts that need finishing and painting.

until next time

~J

Re: 1979 CB650 Cafe Redo - Why would Honda put extra carbs on this thing?

a ladle? here's an idea - tailight housing. incorporate it into the fender. :D

sebatron said:
a ladle? here's an idea - tailight housing. incorporate it into the fender. :D

Hmmm, good but there's still a handle to be used...

I know this's gonna come back to bite me on the ass ::)

lol, thought about a ladle taillight but I've decided on what I'll be using there so another place the ladle will go.

Ladle: Handle=brake stay, and cup=cut in half for two air scoops over the cooling fins!

I can play this game! ;)

Back
Top Bottom