Hub swap on GSXR750 front end for my CB360

sbelshe

Been Around the Block
I have a donor 93-95 GSXR750 front end that I have put on another bike, but I don't have a wheel for the front end. I'm not the biggest fan of the three spoke stock wheel from those years and would like to use a different wheel. Any idea the hub width and or what other wheels can potential swap in/out and still retain a speedo?

Any info would be helpful, thanks.

any sportbike wheel is going to be too wide for a 360 by far. best bet is make a custom axle to use an early 550/750 spoked front wheel and speedo drive with an offset adapter to mount the rotor.

Curious why you say it would be too wide? I have the GSXR forks, it would run the GSXR rim on the front easily, I just am not a fan of the style is all. I actually have a spoked rim on an axle in there already, but it leaves no room for a speedo drive which is a big reason why I'm looking for other options.

Undecided. I have more freedom on the rear to use pretty much anything, so I was letting whatever decision was made on the front dictate the rear.

Your best course of action imho is to find a wheel you want that you can make work and swap over to a digital speedo. No muss no fuss, plus it's more accurate than the old cable driven units. Something like a Trailtech Vapor can be had for under $90 and includes the tach and other jazz.

Have you done the rake/trail math for the fork swap yet?

That's a good idea, I'll definitely look more int it, thanks. Almost not change in the rake and trail. Forks are an inch shorter, going through the stock neck.

stu.belshe said:
Curious why you say it would be too wide? I have the GSXR forks, it would run the GSXR rim on the front easily, I just am not a fan of the style is all. I actually have a spoked rim on an axle in there already, but it leaves no room for a speedo drive which is a big reason why I'm looking for other options.

I said it because I had assumed you didn't have anything planned for the rear as well....having a 17" front rim with a 120 tire would be pretty silly with an 18" rear on a 100 tire....

When I did a spoke wheel swap on a GL1000 wheel with a modern Suzuki front end, I had the hub machined to take bearings that accept the right axles for the front end. You may get lucky and find a bearing that fits the GSXR axle and also fits into the CB360 seat. But more likely, you can just disassemble the wheel and have the hub cut.

@focusinprogress agreed, that would look a bit odd. But like I said I will let the front wheel dictate the rear.

@deviant actually I have bearings and an axle that work great, my only issue is the speedo drive. There isn't enough room on the axle for the wheel I have and the GSXR speedo drive. I would need something that's not as wide. And the research i've done searching for wheels based on hub width has not yielded many good resources. Not sure if I'm not properly searching or if that is simply not a common metric to search fro when buying wheels

Anyone have any other suggestions for moderately priced digital speedo's?

Turned out the donor front end had more problems internally than were worth fixing so I went back to stock in the meantime.

Back
Top Bottom