DEET MB5 - Fully Legal

Re: Project DEET- Mini Smoker

I have always liked those mb85s. How many layers of cloth did you do?

ffjmoore, I put on two layers of six ounce cloth and two layers of ten ounce. Once I shape the foam I'll be adding more. However, I won't need to add too much as doesn't support any weight, it just sits on the tank.

Can't really decide on what I'm going to do with the seat so I mocked up a couple of styles in Photoshop. Still not certain, I always prefer a nice round tail, but I think the boxier shape will be easier to do as I won't have to trim the end of the tank. Here are the two mockups.

mockup_roundTail_small.jpg

mockup_squareTail_small.jpg

Last edited:

Box end goes better with the tank IMHO. Could actually flatten and point the end a bit more to match the front part of the tank, just in reverse you know?

I see what you mean, good points. I'll fool around with it a bit more in Photoshop. Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it.

Re seat, it's almost as if some where it needs to reflect one of the angles within the tank shape for it to visually make sense.

The box style will work better. i like it when a seat matches a tank not only in the side profile but from the top as well. lots of bikes have round tanks so a round seat works well with them. But your tank is boxier rather then round.

I would use the front angle of the fuel tank for my rear seat line. The angle of the main frame tube starting at the steering head and angling downward. But it must be used in reverse from the tail towards the front the intersection would be about the front of the rear tire. This will form a "V" The top of the butt stop should be the same flat arc as the top of the fuel tank Thematically correct.
Cheers, 50gary

I was playing around with it last night and decided to use a similar shape to the stock rear end (tapered box). I have it almost shaped out now in foam, hope to finish shaping this weekend and get some glass on it. Will post some pics then. Thanks for all the feedback.

Can't wait to see what you do with this thing. Glad you got the title sorted too.

Squarish is the right shape for that tank IMHO. A small version of the stock hump would be a good place to start, or grab the shape from an MT125 road racer - very similar to the P/S shape you came up with.

Picked up a brand new exhaust for it last night...and local too which is surprising. I posted an ad on our local classifieds looking for any parts and lucked into this brand new, never used stock pipe. Has a couple of very tiny scratches on the end, but extremely pleased with this find. Much better than the dented one I have now.

newExhaust.jpg

Last edited:

Made a bit more headway with the seat too. Finished shaping the foam and laid a few layers of fiberglass. I actually just came in from doing the fiberglass and don't have any pics, will get some tomorrow.

shapedFoam_1.jpg

shapedFoam_2.jpg

Last edited:

looks good. What do you use to hold the blocks together and what do you use to shape the foam?

I use 3M Super 77 spray adhesive to glue the blocks together and also to stick them to the pan. For shaping I just use sandpaper (40 grit for rough shaping and 120 for finer touches). It sands really easy so any power sander would probably be too aggressive unless I had to take off a lot of it.

Re: Project DEET- Mini Smoker - Daffy Duck Seat

Finished up fiberglassing the seat and worked on smoothing out with bodyfiller today. Man I hate the body work part, but the end result is very rewarding. Once I was happy with the smoothness I put on a single coat of primer to help me see any imperfections better. I'll fix them up tomorrow.

The lower edge you see on the tail part is due to the way the tank is structured on the back. I didn't want it showing and I don't want to cut the tank at all since they are a bit rare and hard to come by in this shape, so I just brought the lower edge down a bit to cover it up. The paint scheme I have in mind takes this into consideration and works with it.

When I was cropping the pictures I couldn't help but think of Daffy Duck when I looked at the seat ;D

firstPrimer_1.jpg

daffyDuckSeat.jpg

firstPrimer_2.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Project DEET- Mini Smoker - Daffy Duck Seat

great work and your PS skills are solid as well:p
Looks like it'll be a blast!

Back
Top Bottom