82 GS550L - Tracker-ish

adventurco

Nick Ol' Eye
DTT BOTM WINNER
So I picked up this GS550L over the weekend. My first bike was a GS450 so I've always had a soft spot for these bikes. The 550 is my first inline four that I'll be working on.

This project will be a distraction from my CB360 cafe build. I'm planning on leaving this bike 95% stock. I do want to replace the seat with something a bit more low profile, and some PO along the line had put some super bike style handlebars on, which I kinda dig the look and feel of.

The bike currently isn't running, the PO had it fired up using starter fluid (yikes), which leads me to believe I just need to give the mikunis a good bath and cleaning and we should have a runner.

It definitely needs some cosmetic cleanup, the front forks are squishy as a sponge, so I'll look into that soon.

The goal is to have her on the road for the end of this rising season, get her mechanically sound and then over the winter start looking into the cosmetics.

Couple pics:

In the back of the truck:
bbb0f746d5d0b20df4d80e47e746778f.jpg

9f366012206a55326c696cba59adea3b.jpg

Re: 82 GS550L - Resto Mod?

From what I can see, the PO put on a new RR, new battery, and cleaned up the exhaust (thanks guy). Inside of the tank is pretty clean, a bit of rust but pretty normal for a 30 year old bike. Probably run it with a filter for now and line it over the winter with my leftover POR15.

All the chrome fenders are in great shape. Paint on the tank and side covers is pretty bad, will definitely get a repaint. I'll probably end up hitting eBay to replace the Suzuki badges on the tank.

First on the line is to grab a factory service manual and learn up on the beast.

Pulled the carbs. 1-2 were pretty caked up from sitting on the kickstand with junk fuel as expected. Got em soaking and a gasket set on the way.

e2bcf9d06bf683344c089071cdd5115d.jpg

8bd5982365090c450c8281b1cb1d7e1a.jpg

Noticed there's an engine mounting bolt missing, I THINK it's one that goes all the way through. I'll get a pic after work. Gonna have to find something to stick in there.

Got a broken throttle cable, ordering up some rubber and we should be rolling.

108cee342b261758cedd178511d45d4d.jpg

Everything came pretty clean. Float needle springs all working. 1 & 2 were a bit sticky but oiled em up and they're moving freely. Choke plate and throttle assemblies oiled up. Waiting on a gasket kit from eBay.

Any of you GS guys have tank emblems lying around? Mine were gone when i bought the bike.

Just stopping by to say I'm in and get it bookmarked. Waiting to see how true you stay to this comment. ;)
adventurco said:
I'm planning on leaving this bike 95% stock.
I have a 78 gs550 project in the works. It is not stock. ;D Will be interesting to compare the builds in the final stages!

I have quite a few stock bits from my build, if you or anyone else needs anything. Entire top end and carbs are for sale. Round slides on this model.

DohcBikes said:
Just stopping by to say I'm in and get it bookmarked. Waiting to see how true you stay to this comment. ;) I have a 78 gs550 project in the works. It is not stock. ;D Will be interesting to compare the builds in the final stages!

haha yep its hard to do. I started on a "stock" gt250 restore. Now Kaw H1 heads on the way to be machined to more desirable squish, expansion chambers waiting to have neck tubes welded in, then well I guess the paint doesn't really need to be an original color so... on and on

either way rad project and im hoping it turns out the way it seems like its going to so far.

Heh. Maybe more like 80% stock. I'm definitely going to be changing the seat/tail a little bit. I'm leaning towards more of a tracker/dirt tracker look. But I won't be hacking the shit out of this one like I did to my CB

82 GS550L - Resto Mod?

Whew. Got the carbs cleaned, new bowl gaskets and SS Allen bolts to replace the junk Phillips screws, and reinstalled em on the bike. What a pain in the arse to get the carbs in with the stock airbox, I forgot what that was like. Just gotta keep convincing myself I don't wanna jet four carbs

Also, the fuel line is a PAIN to get in while the carbs are on the bike. Note to self, install fuel line first.

The throttle cable (and all the cables) weren't shortened when PO put on handlebars, surprise. Looks like the throttle cable is out of whack, since it was holding the throttle plates at about half throttle position when released. I have a new cable, so I'll be shortening it after I do my CB cables. Or maybe before, as a test

So I tried to fire her up running off the bottle but no luck, I think it's just the throttle cable since the plates are fully closed when it's not installed.

82 GS550L - Resto Mod?

So here's what I'm dealing with. Twisted cables. The choke cable broke when I tried to engage it. At some point fix everything to accommodate the handlebars. Mostly cuz I can't stand the loops of extra wire/brake line, etc. Just feels so...unfinished.

51c860eb98d1fdceb590332574bd2256.jpg

I've gotten them out, outer jackets trimmed and prepped for new ends to be soldered on.

Wheels came off, cleaned the damn white lithium grease off them, and had new rubber mounted. Ordered new pads and shoes for the brakes.

Pulled the GS emblems and junk decals off the side covers. Trying to figure out a paint scheme. Not 100% sure if I want to try and rush the paint on the tank and covers before it gets too cold up here or just hold off and leave them until the spring.

9de5bf420d913be9680b3eefc302b29b.jpg

Thinking maybe a forest green for the bodywork and a silver/gunmetal for the frame.

And I might pick up one of the older GS rear fairings to mess with for the seat. cheap on eBay

Oh and you guys up there, now that my CB is mostly done, I'm already getting antsy to start chopping this one up

This Kawi is egging me on:

a854857bd13d1b58c6c1cd5bf8d2fa64.jpg

Bad screenshot but you get the jist

I can dig it. Welcome to the world of 4 bangers! As you're aware I just joined it myself haha.

Looking forward to seeing the progression.

82 GS550L - Resto Mod?

Hey check it out, she runs:
https://vimeo.com/142199212

Actually not idling bad. #4 header is noticeably cooler than the other four. Probably just out of sync.

Or #4 is running well and 1-3 are lean.

Looks like this old gal has an electronic ignition, the bike came stock with points at the date of publication on the manual, so not sure if this was installed aftermarket or what. The Suzuki service manual I have is all outta date anyways.

Replaced all the cables, new tires and tubes, new pads up front and shoes in the back. Should be a rider once I get the carbs straightened out.

The dude who had it before me sprayed the headers with some regular rattle can paint, smoking and bubblin' like a bastard. Gotta strip that and repaint em. Think I might actually have enough wrap left over to do all four.

Looks like I've got a stuck float valve. Fuel bottle was empty this morning and gas all over the floor. Lovely. Back into the carbs we go!

What float bowl gaskets did you use? There's some aftermarket ones that have been known to interfere with the floats and make them stick.

Also, if your bike is an 82 it came with electronic ignition - Suzuki stopped using points on their 4's around 1980.

hillsy said:
What float bowl gaskets did you use?

These are the ones I used. Most certainly aftermarket but I didn't note any interference when I put em in.

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/230603318032

adventurco said:
These are the ones I used. Most certainly aftermarket but I didn't note any interference when I put em in.

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/230603318032

They might be OK - I think it's some of the Keyster ones that have caused problems, but it's always a good idea to check this anyway. And check the float pins aren't corroded / hindering movement as well.

DohcBikes said:
Reintroduce fuel and tap the bowls with the end of a screwdriver.

Did so and heard a satisfying click inside one of the bowls, but still getting fuel overflow leaking out of the airbox. Think I'll pull the carbs tomorrow, introduce fuel on the bench and see where the problem lies.

Back
Top Bottom