Ton up SR250: 100mph, 100kg, 30hp

JadusMotorcycleParts

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT SUPPORTER
The title says it all. This is going to be more of a speed and performance focused build than the last. Less time and energy spent on finishes, more time spent on finessing and fettling. I am hoping to implement and share a lot of ideas that both myself and other awesome members of this forum came up with through the process of the previous build. The stock SR will get about 120kph, all Jadus bikes - both the test mules and the black standard get around 135kph. All make around 20hp at the crank. So looking to get 30hp with some trick mods to be able to get to 160kph or... the ton!

Something I noticed when I completed the black SR was that it was the nicest bike I have ever build, and I didn't/don't like it. Not because I don't love it, but because I hate having nice things. I hate the feeling of being 'precious' with something - not wanting to scratch the paint, not wanting it to get dirty etc. That is why I will never own a nice car. I want to use, thrash and trash my toys. I don't want to spend time cleaning and polishing! What a waste of time! So this bike will be more along those lines and I can't wait to get stuck in.

I thought I would be ready to move onto the next model of bike to design parts for by now, but I feel I have one more good SR250 in me before that. Who knows, maybe even more parts for the SR250 along the way!

The reason I want to document the build here is twofold. One, I can share what I am doing with a greater audience, and two, it opens things up for a great discussion for ideas and allows me to get feedback from more experienced members of the forum who have 'been around the block' a few times ;)

You can also follow the hashtag on insta: #100mphSR250

Let it begin! ;D

Attachments

• TonUpSR_TheBase.jpg
    TonUpSR_TheBase.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 1,003
I have been holding off on starting this thread - waiting to make absolutely sure everything was tied up with the black bike. But I started the thinking process long ago and have already got stuck in with a couple basics - engine out of the frame plus some angle iron supports in the frame. This will allow me to run two projects in parallel - an engine project and a chassis improvement project. The SR uses the engine as a stressed member, so messing with the frame (sitting on it, getting ride heights, foot peg positions etc) without extra supports is not a good idea - it would bend under load.

I have read a lot since I began building bikes as well. All the books below I have read cover to cover and have many book marks. Some of the mods I decided to do might sound strange to some, but I have pondered long and hard and have read and re-read about these mods to make sure. I have also purchased a great chassis design pdf - more on that later.

Some of the number goals might be a stretch but I am absolutely confident I can get 160kph. Will it be a first for an SR250? Maybe not - if you know of anyone doing it, please point me in their direction :D 100kg, possibly, 110kg, definitely. 30hp? At the crank, yes, at the wheel, maybe 26!

Attachments

• EngineTuning_LightReading.jpg
    EngineTuning_LightReading.jpg
    544.9 KB · Views: 923
  • SR250Frame_Supported.jpg
    SR250Frame_Supported.jpg
    412.7 KB · Views: 920
  • SR250_SupportedFrame.jpg
    SR250_SupportedFrame.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 858
  • SR250Engine_Out.jpg
    SR250Engine_Out.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 914
Like your other builds, I'm in! I also have had that Smith book for a very long time. Originally got it when interested in modding car engines.

One thing to suggest to your list of engine mods is thinking about pumping losses. There was an article by Dave Searle in Motorcycle Consumer News about this a couple months ago. Thumpers are notorious here because they don't have other cylinders working together to offset the crankcase pumping action. Many builders just vent their crankcases to look "cool" but it really doesn't do anything to decrease pumping loss (just keeps oily junk out of the carb like an oil catch can would); I got a Krank Vent off evilbay to experiment with creating a partial vacuum in the crankcase instead of trying to get all that air in/out of that skinny hose outlet (still planning). Krank Vents are a 1-way check valve and seem to be very popular with the H-D crowd as they reduce crankcase pressure and keep gaskets from blowing. My thoughts are that the engine will pump through the Krank Vent a couple times until the partial vacuum is created, then no more pumping.

This will be interesting. I had a SR250 that topped out about 110kph but vibrated like hell lol

I enjoyed watching you last one, so of course im going to watch this one too =)

I shed around 38kg from my RD350. It has a battery, a stock charging system, a heavily filled stock tank, all turn signals and lights. 30kg should be in reach without too extreme an effort for the SR. The wheels, forks brakes, fenders, seat, and a bunch of the other junk are pretty easily eliminated or replaced with modern bits.

Thanks for the support!

zap2504 said:
Like your other builds, I'm in! I also have had that Smith book for a very long time. Originally got it when interested in modding car engines.

One thing to suggest to your list of engine mods is thinking about pumping losses. There was an article by Dave Searle in Motorcycle Consumer News about this a couple months ago. Thumpers are notorious here because they don't have other cylinders working together to offset the crankcase pumping action. Many builders just vent their crankcases to look "cool" but it really doesn't do anything to decrease pumping loss (just keeps oily junk out of the carb like an oil catch can would); I got a Krank Vent off evilbay to experiment with creating a partial vacuum in the crankcase instead of trying to get all that air in/out of that skinny hose outlet (still planning). Krank Vents are a 1-way check valve and seem to be very popular with the H-D crowd as they reduce crankcase pressure and keep gaskets from blowing. My thoughts are that the engine will pump through the Krank Vent a couple times until the partial vacuum is created, then no more pumping.

Yepp, that is for sure on my list. Someone (maybe even you?) posted some good stuff on the other build thread from the LS650 Savage forum about a system. I'll see If I can dig that up. It is also covered in these books :)

Sav0r said:
I shed around 38kg from my RD350. It has a battery, a stock charging system, a heavily filled stock tank, all turn signals and lights. 30kg should be in reach without too extreme an effort for the SR. The wheels, forks brakes, fenders, seat, and a bunch of the other junk are pretty easily eliminated or replaced with modern bits.

True! Thanks for the encouragement. I'll start with the big obvious things then see what level I need to go into to shed the last few kgs.

Hit me up if you have questions. I have a few simple but effective tricks beyond the common ones to get my RD down to the that weight. I didn't even have to spend that much extra dough, and in many cases the results were a vast improvement, the weight savings were just a bonus.

Sav0r said:
Hit me up if you have questions. I have a few simple but effective tricks beyond the common ones to get my RD down to the that weight. I didn't even have to spend that much extra dough, and in many cases the results were a vast improvement, the weight savings were just a bonus.

Sweet, I'll do that!

Managed to 'build' a 'rustic' table for filming some more install and tech vids. Then found some time to blast the engine as well. This time a pretty rough job compared to the last engine - running with the more time on performance things than looks! I actually tried soda this time too, but it just wasn't abrasive enough to remove the clear coat on the engine cases or the oxidisation.

Oh yeah, then put on some old 3D printed prototypes to dress it up a little and put it on the stand I made a last year. Never thought it would be so handy!

Attachments

• Table.jpg
    Table.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 791
  • BlastedSREngine.jpg
    BlastedSREngine.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 955
Sav0r said:
Physically possible, absolutely. Technically possible, maybe.
Isn't it the other way round?

Either way we want to see you try :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex jb said:
Isn't it the other way round?

Either way we want to see you try :)

My point is that the potential exists, but does the technical know how in this specific case exist? Maybe, maybe not.

I'm not OP though, so I'm not building it.

Ok, gotcha.
I think so too.
I buying a Honda 250 twin motor to tear down make some mods and if it works out, heading for the ton too.

Back
Top Bottom