YZF750/1000R - The Fly 5

These bikes like gas and oil. Gas mileage sucks, probably still related to the carb tuning I've yet to tackle. They also naturally use a bit of oil. Everyone I've talked to says the same thing and not to sweat it. The first time the big red oil light came on I nearly shit. I've never had a bike with an "oil level" instead of an "oil pressure" light. I don't like red lights on my dash so I cleaned out an old 2 stroke bottle from my string trimmer and filled it with Yamalube 4 stroke oil. Now I have a few ounces with me in case (like Sunday) where I'm out in the boonies and the light comes on. Pull over, dump it in, no worries.
yzfSpareOil.jpg

Last edited:
canyoncarver said:
These bikes like gas and oil. Gas mileage sucks, probably still related to the carb tuning I've yet to tackle. They also naturally use a bit of oil. Everyone I've talked to says the same thing and not to sweat it. The first time the big red oil light came on I nearly shit. I've never had a bike with an "oil level" instead of an "oil pressure" light. I don't like red lights on my dash so I cleaned out an old 2 stroke bottle from my string trimmer and filled it with Yamalube 4 stroke oil. Now I have a few ounces with me in case (like Sunday) where I'm out in the boonies and the light comes on. Pull over, dump it in, no worries.

Same thing happened to me on my FJ1200 - oil light comes on...time to change underwear... ;D

The annoying thing about the FJ is the low fuel light is also red - it came on one night and I'm thinking it's the oil light and expecting to see a hole in the cases or something :mad:

hillsy said:
Same thing happened to me on my FJ1200 - oil light comes on...time to change underwear... ;D
The annoying thing about the FJ is the low fuel light is also red - it came on one night and I'm thinking it's the oil light and expecting to see a hole in the cases or something :mad:

Haha.. yeah, I was about 20 miles from anywhere when it first happened. Surprise!

While it's true these bikes use a bit of oil in normal running, it's been using more than it should. I figured out why. The water pump drive shaft seal is leaking. Never a drop on the ground but it's pretty noticeable in the belly pan and the underbody. I've got new seals and bits on order for the pump rebuild.
pumptime1.jpg
pumptime2.jpg
pumptime3.jpg

Last edited:
clem said:
Well most of the time, finding the oil leak is the majority of the battle. Glad you easily found it.

Thanks bud. Waiting on parts is the other battle....
yzfwaitingparts.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, there's a bunch of Harley jokes in there, but it's no fun when you slow pitch them over the plate like that :p ;D

Redbird said:
Ok, there's a bunch of Harley jokes in there, but it's no fun when you slow pitch them over the plate like that :p ;D

You mean like this?
hd_pee.jpg

Last edited:
This whole time I thought they leaked to coat the rear wheel with oil and give the illusion of power when the rear wheel lost traction!

Brodie said:
This whole time I thought they leaked to coat the rear wheel with oil and give the illusion of power when the rear wheel lost traction!

Yeah...my shovel did that once. Quite a surprise when I rounded a 90 degree turn. Wheee!

The seals for the water pump rebuild arrived and of course when I pulled the chain cover, I saw that I should have ordered a clutch pushrod seal too. I ordered a shift shaft seal too just because. They'll be here in a few days.

I've been playing with my ZRX again while this one is down.
yzf_wp_rbldseals.jpg
yzf_clpr_seal_nec.jpg

Last edited:
How does the clutch rod look? If it's got some corrosion on it, it'll tear up the new seal. I don't think that yamaha charges an arm and leg for those.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app

clem said:
How does the clutch rod look? If it's got some corrosion on it, it'll tear up the new seal. I don't think that yamaha charges an arm and leg for those.

As far as I can tell, it looks good. Thanks for the reminder though. I think it's just a case of 24 year old seals.

"Life Span of a Seal. If a seal survives the dangers of being a pup, seals are generally long-lived animals. Both the Grey and Common seal have been known to live more than 30 years. One female Grey seal around the Shetland Isles in Scotland was known to be 46 years old."

I've ended up ordering a few more things including a new bearing. Getting the old mechanical seal out is also turning out more interesting than expected.

Some of you following along may also have noticed that some crazy cajun nominated my YZF for BOTM! An unexpected honor. Thank you Redbird.

Back
Top Bottom