Good Ol' BMX - many of our first 2 wheeled passions

jason teamshralp

Been Around the Block
might be off topic but this the coolest dude i've ever seen wearing a simpson helmet...

mat_2001_03.jpg

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ePgEtnZztH8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ePgEtnZztH8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/youtube]

... Mat Hoffman is bad ass!

Re: SIMPSON BANDIT HELMETS... The new Cafe Racer must??!!...

Hoffman is definitely one of a kind. Growing up, the biggest air people were getting was 7-8 feet. Sigh - the good ol' BMX days. Maybe we'll have to start a thread for old-school BMX stuff. I'm sure I'm not the only one who remembers when Haro was a numberplate company and Oakley made the Oakley III handlegrip and not much else.

Yeah man!
Mi brother got a Haro group 1 professional series, He was third in amateur spanish championship in the "old" 1991...

Elnogue said:
Yeah man!
Mi brother got a Haro group 1 professional series, He was third in amateur spanish championship in the "old" 1991...
Oi, where in spain are you.

1991? Man, I'm talking 1983 - by 1991 I was well out of my BMX riding days. I'm talking Eric Rupe, Mongoose Proclass, Stu Thompson, PK Rippers, Quadangles, CW, Galindo, Redline 3 Piece cranks, Mike Buff, Z-Rims....

hahaha U had to understand me Tintin, I'm, from 1978...
I was 13 in 1991... ;D

See, when we started freestyle, there was no such thing as a freestyle bike. HARO introduced the very first frame/fork set specifically geared towards freestyle BMX. The big thing about it was it had a twin top-tube for frame-stands etc. Then people got into footpegs on the axles, we got the first hollow-stem gooseneck so we could route our brake cables through it and spin the front wheel without tangling brake lines....

Man, those were the days. My claim to fame was bunnyhopping. When we were 14, we put on show at our school and I freaked the teachers out by lining up 13 kids laying side by side on their backs. I then raced towards them at full speed and hopped the entire line. My buddy Cam was on the end, and I just grazed him coming down, so naturally I had to do it again.

Tintin said:
See, when we started freestyle, there was no such thing as a freestyle bike. HARO introduced the very first frame/fork set specifically geared towards freestyle BMX. The big thing about it was it had a twin top-tube for frame-stands etc. Then people got into footpegs on the axles, we got the first hollow-stem gooseneck so we could route our brake cables through it and spin the front wheel without tangling brake lines....

Man, those were the days. My claim to fame was bunnyhopping. When we were 14, we put on show at our school and I freaked the teachers out by lining up 13 kids laying side by side on their backs. I then raced towards them at full speed and hopped the entire line. My buddy Cam was on the end, and I just grazed him coming down, so naturally I had to do it again.
i still have my redline rl20 from when i was 15 -17, chrome and red,forklifter handlebars, gyro, ayaya show chrome rims,no redline 401 3 piece cranks though, i was working at the cyclepath then and still couldn't afford them,$300 in 88 was a lot.

Well, in my uncle's garage sits my Mongoose Pro Class in black chrome with a pink GT layback post, Pro Class rims (drilled between the spokes) etc. etc. Same for me on the 3 piece cranks - $300 for those is still a lot TODAY let alone back in the early 80's.

I remember Bullseye hubs were the ones to have (that I didn't) and I remember ordering a set of Mike Buff signature white Z-Rims. Pretty sure they're on the GT Pro that also sits in my uncle's garage (CanadaDan's bike).

My first BMX bike was some old Norco thing - coolest part was it had yellow Oakley III grips. Then I had a bike with Tuffwheels on it that got stolen. Then for racing I started with a Norco Force III with the main triangle in cro-moly, moving up to the Mongoose Pro Class at some point when I started winning the odd race.

Dan would drive us to the races in the 1976 Buick Skylark. I must have been about 13-14 I guess. Gave up racing and my friends and I built a wedge and 1/4 pipe in 1984. Lasted a couple of years till we got our drivers licenses and I inherited the Skylark ;)

BMX Still Rules!!! If your ever in Portland, OR stop by GoodsBMX. Its a shop that has some old school bikes built up, and sells the newest stuff as well. The owner Shad Johnson broke his ankle last summer riding his GT Proformer in the parking lot. :D

BMX is awesome!!! just had to say it again.

and speaking of rad...

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OA63KRWlguk&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OA63KRWlguk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/youtube]

You would have been 14 Tim... I think our last race was the 1984 provincials in Elie that I drove us to... we both left with trophies and I think that was the end. You started freestyling and I discovered girls and cars  8)

I rode a GT something or other... blue & yellow gear (still have the gear in the kid's dress-up trunk)

Man that car... two door hatch back, custom paint job with a racing stripe, 5 spoke rally wheels, programmable horm, and the the ultimate in 80's head units... Tim added a pawn shopped 1.5" b&w TV head unit that had a tuner for over-the-air broadcasts... I have a 6.5" LCD now but still no tuner  ;D

Ahhh the good old days! My first real bmx bike was a Haro Group 1! I absolutely loved that bike! I put a rotor and pegs on it and thought I was the hottest shit in town. We had a race track we dug out back in the woods and spent every day of the summer down there. I wish I still had that bike.

Tim said:
1991? Man, I'm talking 1983 - by 1991 I was well out of my BMX riding days. I'm talking Eric Rupe, Mongoose Proclass, Stu Thompson, PK Rippers, Quadangles, CW, Galindo, Redline 3 Piece cranks, Mike Buff, Z-Rims....

I think i had every one of those, still have my z-rims and 2 jmc's. i still ride just to show the new school kids that are flippin and flailing what style is

bTableedit.jpg

for those of you that still ride we're having a michigan invasion on the louisville skate park on oct 18 and 19

ahhhhhhhhhhhh man , yup the good old days. i had a copy of the movie rad. just sold my gt mach 1 and my redline rl 22 ive had since the mid 80s. but i kept my dyno # plate and my jt racing pants. watching that video of RAD mad me regret selling my bikes. but gone is gone!!

I too started out racing BMX bikes, had a bunch of bikes but my favorite was either the SE PK Ripper, or Floval Flier. Growing up in Minnesota we had a couple really nice outdoor tracks, in the winter we had a warehouse with concrete floor & wooden jumps, we would spray Coca Cola syrup on the concrete & you could really lean into the corners, ate tires tho.

How did I not see this post!!!!!!!??????????? I've collected vintage BMX biikes for some time now and still ride!! Mostly flatland freestyle, but still cool topic.

Here's a pic from a few years ago:

290079141_8b9ddb47e9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom