1983 Yamaha Venture: VentureMax!

DohcBikes said:
Bench racing is super neat.

You would think so.

;)

But ive got 4 years of amateur at shubie building and racing (and crashing and wadding) rd350/400's in my past.

Been a good long while since that but i can still build a pretty mean bike and hussle it through the corners fast enough to make the young squirts on thier new "zipfire 2000" wonder what the heck kind of bike that old man that just passed them on the inside is riding.

Its super funny when the bike going around them and fadding into the distance is a 1980's full boat touring bike. I'd say it's probably half me being decent at fast and half (or more) them being crap at trying to go fast. I get by mostly by being "smoother" than there are.

The look on thier face when they catch up at the next stop and i pull off my helmet to reveal a full head of silver hair combined with me rubbing my aching back is priceless.

:)

Ha, the corners were not cause the vmax handled poor but because the rider learned to ride on it and never learned to corner. I tried to tell him to get a smaller bike to learn to corner but he didn't understand.

Well, let me explain how military time works.

24 hours in a day.

21: 50:55 is in the 21st hour of the day. So, since today is Saturday, and my post was at 21:50:55, and we are not yet in the 21st hour of today, the next logical observation would be to check the date of the post to determine which day it was posted. Looks like Friday night to me.

Although I'm not super busy now, I just finished completely disassembling an entire bike down to the frame, and I'm ready for some entertainment.

Tell me another story about how your venture will beat a sportbike in the twisties.

I was here for a cool build until the rhetoric and hyperbole started.

Maritime said:
Ha, the corners were not cause the vmax handled poor but because the rider learned to ride on it and never learned to corner. I tried to tell him to get a smaller bike to learn to corner but he didn't understand.

Fair enough!

A vmax as a leaner bike is possible, you just loose learning so much of the technique you get on a smaller bike.

That's prob a lot of the reason I can go around people on "faster" bikes. It's the rider, not the machine.

Same thing happened to my wife. She started out on an r6 ( long before I met her) and it was just too much for her as a beginner. She learned to ride, but no fun in it. After she sold the r6, she never really rode again other than a passenger behind me.

Cheers

DohcBikes said:

24 hours in a day.

21: 50:55 is in the 21st hour of the day. So, since today is Saturday, and my post was at 21:50:55, and we are not yet in the 21st hour of today, the next logical observation would be to check the date of the post to determine which day it was posted. Looks like Friday night to me.

Although I'm not super busy now, I just finished completely disassembling an entire bike down to the frame, and I'm ready for some entertainment.

Tell me another story about how your venture will beat a sportbike in the twisties.

In the interests of keeping this civil, I won't address the obvious attempts at belittling.

I will say that maybe just move on rather than troll would seem the classy thing to do.

The gent from NB and I are having a fun little convo.

You're wading in to it and being a bit of a jerk.

If you want to just hang around for the build posts, that's cool.

But no need to be a jerk when you read something you don't like or my thread is not going the way you want it to.

Duty cycle is up up the welder, gotta go. Things to do.

L8tr.

Well, the old moose is at least standing on its own legs again:

59E3FFE2-30F0-437E-9AE9-F8109FE65D81_zpsppeklnwq.jpg

9163E8AB-C129-40A0-8F7F-252288346C80_zpsgog0hiyu.jpg

55203BFC-6226-4E52-8742-A66513D78300_zpshzpudpjw.jpg

That 170 tire looks massive in there! Maybe not so much compared to modern bikes, but freaking huge by 83-92 Yamaha Venture yardsticks.

That's a junker seat I threw on there to see how it sits. Leg reach to the ground is pretty good. Could go up maybe an inch or so more. That's likely the actual seat I'll use to cut down and make the "solo seat" without the rear trunk.

Spring is too soft though. Too much sag even with the preload maxed out.

As an interim measure I may make a collar to add some more preload, but its going to need a higher rate spring before hitting the road.

The shock is still long, lots of "stick out" below the bike. I'm undecided on where or not I can live with that. It's pretty much a pavement brawler but potholes and speed bumps are everywhere. Wouldn't want to drag the shock and linkage over something at speed. Not sure how to fix that as the fuel tank is midship mounted right above the shock so it can't gomup and higher.

I'm actually toying with going to a zg1400 rising rate linkage.

Lots of time to play around before roll out in spring.

If you can't take it don't dish it out. Sarcasm is not a foreign language to me.

Don't expect everyone to gasp and clamour at your stories. Some of us know bullshit when we smell it, and are courteous enough to point it out so that others don't step in it.

You want me to stop addressing you, then my suggestion would be for you to stop addressing me.

This is a forum where people of all kinds interact. Even jerks. Imagine that, jerks in the biker community.What a surprise! We aren't all as good as you.

Any sportbike with the same rider will destroy your venture in the corners, regardless of puffery. You wanna talk bikes, that's all I'm doing. I don't see the problem.

DohcBikes said:
If you can't take it don't dish it out. Sarcasm is not a foreign language to me.

Don't expect everyone to gasp and clamour at your stories. Some of us know bullshit when we smell it, and are courteous enough to point it out so that others don't step in it.

You want me to stop addressing you, then my suggestion would be for you to stop addressing me.

This is a forum where people of all kinds interact. Even jerks. Imagine that, jerks in the biker community.What a surprise! We aren't all as good as you.

Any sportbike with the same rider will destroy your venture in the corners, regardless of puffery. You wanna talk bikes, that's all I'm doing. I don't see the problem.

Ok, let's have at it then since you won't drop it. But I'll end it here whether you prattle on afterwards or not.

You started with the sarcasm and followed up with insults. I'm thinking you wouldn't know bullshit if your mouth was full of it.

No one gets along with a jerk. They tolerate them. Very big difference.

Yes, I've gone around guys on sportbikes on the venture and I've said already it's more down to the rider than the bike. But you've somewhere changed that to the bike only in some effort to meet some personal agenda you seem to be pushing. Being the ubiquitous Internet "troll" out of boredom is my guess.

I've had the venture on the track ( to which we all had a good laugh), then rolled the clapped out FJ of the trailer and turned a faster lap. Then rolled the interceptor off the trailer and turned an even faster lap.

There is also no disputing that any new 600 is capable of faster times than the venture (or any other bike I own). But I also didn't say they weren't.

I said I've gone around sport bikes on the venture and again: I said it's about me being better at "fast" than they are.

I have a riding buddy that rides a clapped out old gs550es. Doesn't matter what I ride on, he's faster than me.

It's the rider, not the bike. That's also not an absolute statement. The same rider on a gs400 is likely to be faster on a gsxr. Or maybe not if it doesn't suit his style or abilities.

But stick to your black and white statements, probably makes you feel secure in an insecure world.

But this has already gone on longer than it should have. Find someone else to play with, I'm done entertaining this foolishness. I won't be responding to it anymore.

You'll have something to say, you type always does. But I won't be seeing it. I'll just drop your name on the ignore list and you can go on with your oral masturbation.

Stick around or don't. I don't give a rats ass either way.

L8tr (wheel, then again, not).

Just a simple discussion about riding, sparked by a comment that you made.

Wasn't it you that said, too bad if it doesn't go your way?

I'm sure you're a great rider. I'm not going to go through the process of quoting your arrogance in the matter, but you really have implied that because you have passed some riders in a curve (certainly hope this was on a track, otherwise you have not only endangered yourself but the other riders as well) that you were out riding them, or that their bike was somehow inferior to yours because you were able to pass them.

But HEY, it's your game right, I'll play then.

Hypothetically (isn't this fun) if I'm on my 919 Hornet and you even hint to me that you are going to try to outmaneuver me on a Yamaha Venture, I'll just let ya go right on by, and let you think you had a chance. Quite possibly the others did as well.

I wanna see ya do a wheelie on this bad boy now. My 57 year old roommate at mmi would stand his Harley FXR straight up. Also saw him drift it out of our driveway several times.

DohcBikes said:

24 hours in a day.

I just read through and where did great white compare his bike to a sport bike. He said I might have a hard time in the corners with him after his mods. I ride 79 gl, modern it is not. Modded a bit yes but his mods will definitely make his vintage bike handle much better. If I was on a cbr r6 Kawasaki something from 2000+ model year I could see that being a stretch but my naked wing has limits. Stop being an asshole I want to see what he does with this sofa on wheels to make it better.

great white said:
You would think so.

;)

Been a good long while since that but i can still build a pretty mean bike and hussle it through the corners fast enough to make the young squirts on thier new "zipfire 2000" wonder what the heck kind of bike that old man that just passed them on the inside is riding.

Its super funny when the bike going around them and fadding into the distance is a 1980's full boat touring bike. I'd say it's probably half me being decent at fast and half (or more) them being crap at trying to go fast. I get by mostly by being "smoother" than there are.

The look on thier face when they catch up at the next stop and i pull off my helmet to reveal a full head of silver hair combined with me rubbing my aching back is priceless.

This.

As if it happens every time he rides.

And again, read between the fuckin lines for once maritime. I'm busting him for riding irresponsibly. He is clearly implying that he is passing other riders, who he clearly does not know and therefore does not know their level of skill, on a public roadway, in an aggressive manner in a corner, then boasting about it. Ignorant. Just plain ignorant. Hope he never rides anywhere near me.

Yep just build the goddamn thing. Save the bullshit.

Ryan Stecken said:
Thanks man.thats my little blue yamaha rd 250 :)about to get a 350 conversion and some more mods ;-)

I cut my teeth on rd350/400's. Great fun. Nothing like bikes of today.

Anything into the power and and the front tire was clawing for sky.

They had all the subltly of a midevil call to arms.

Loved 'em.

I learned how to wrench and race on those little beasts.simple machines that the sum was more than the parts.

Never liked the 110+ mph wobble though.

Although, after a coup!e years and several wadded bikes I finally admitted to myself I was a better wrenched than racer.

Never had a 250, but would have liked to.

Just great great bikes for a testosterone fueled teenager.

After fooling with strings, weights and lines for alignments and measurements every time I moved the bike I finally got fed up enough to do something to make my life a little easier. Strings and weights are a time tested method, but are mostly a PITA since the proliferation of inexpensive lasers entered the alignment process. You want straight? Doesn't get much straighter than a beam of light.

I looked at retail solutions, bit they're all foolishly expensive for what they are. Good luck finding a kit under a grand. But they make for a fairly easy template to follow.

For example:

910-304_A.jpg

I can make something accurate and effective out of most of what I have lying around in the shop. It will also be a lot easier to set up than strings and easier to store than a couple 8 foot lengths of metal stock. Not to mention strings, wood or metal bars aren't guaranteed to be true. even if it's just out a few MM, that can compound as you start letting a few mm's go here and few go there. Lasers are about as straight as you're going to get it.

So I started planning and building today.

I had a fistful of small lasers in the electronics drawer (can be had on eBay for a couple bucks apiece) and a bit of digging pulled out a couple red line lasers. A bit more rooting in the electronics drawers produced and old cell phone wall charger with the proper voltage. Bodged it together quickly, plugged it in and there's my laser alignment lines.

Now I needed a way to mount them.

Couple chunks of aluminum scrap and some time on the lathe and I had a couple mounts to hold each of the lasers. A couple pieces of all-thread and nuts will allow me to dial in the squareness of the laser block to the jig/wheel clamp.

Now I needed a way to make clamps for the wheels. An old bedframe that's been lying around produces enough angle iron to make the wheel clamps. They're easily made, just a piece on either side of the wheel and a piece of all thread to clamp them on. A little vinyl tuning will protect the rim from the all-thread.

A couple more angle iron pieces will make the front wheel clamp.

Then I'll make a graduated scale for the leading and trailing edge of the front tire clamp on each side. Probably just pick up a couple cheap rulers for the scales.

The lasers will be attached to the rear wheel and shine forward on to the front wheel scales. That will let me measure the alignment and the offset of the wheels and correct as needed.

As a double check for front and rear wheels running a parallel track, I"ll mount another laser on the front clamp shining rearward so I can compare the front and rear laser lines on the floor.

A protractor on the front and rear wheel clamps will check for wheels running in the same vertical plane.

Another protractor to check across the frame rails to make sure the bike is sitting level/perfectly vertical when alignments are made.

And lastly, for my own build, I'll mount an line laser on the steering stem with an arbor (having a lathe is sooo handy!) so I can measure the rear wheel offset from the the frame centerline. Useful info if I find it pulls one way of the other once back together.

All said and done, I should be all in for about 50-60 bucks and the time it takes to fab it up. A lazy weekend afternoon would get it just about done.

Pictures to follow when I get something completed worth looking at.

Some might ask why go through all this trouble for a shaftie as the alignment is set by the way it's built and there's no real adjustments available like a chain bike. This is true, but I'm building it and setting the alignment as I go with rear wheel and swingarm construction. Once set, it should be good unless something gets bent.

I also have a couple other chain drive bikes (FJ and the VF), so a laser alignment tool is going to be helpful in setting those up on a yearly (or as needed) basis. For the chain drive bikes, I'll also make up a chain laser alignment tool. That one's simple: Just a laser holder and make it's faces square.

Couple progress pics.

Working up the laser holders:

7729A378-218A-4795-BF88-5BE1259605ED_zpszfxrlede.jpg

powered up and ready for mounting:

8AFFC24B-5A17-46E0-AFB0-3FB288B587D5_zpszh8zgxz1.jpg

I used the KISS principle when building them. Rather than a fancy turning which would have been good for the "ohh ahh" factor but done nothing for function, I just center drilled the laser hole in square stock and punched the wires out the bottom. A couple 3/8 holes provide the means for mounting it to the rim clamp and adjusting the lasers for true. Simple, effective and quick.

Lines look good:

987918ED-7222-4AF0-81F6-3C8DDC4BB69D_zpsalhutgfr.jpg

Beam width measures approx 1.5mm, that's pretty good for a couple $1.50 line lasers.

With any luck I'll get the wheel clamps finished tonight and the lasers mounted on the clamps. Then tomorrow I should be able to get to the front scales.

Once I'm done I'll tart it up some with some paint. Day glow orange or bright red should work So I don't miss that they are installed if I try to move the bike.

Back
Top Bottom