1983 Yamaha Venture: VentureMax!

Clamps mounted and some test shots:

01526E5D-41B9-4B7D-8632-060D5A466FEE_zpsx0vjrhn1.jpg

Semi lit garage (overhead fluorescents off', workbench task lighting on):

8CB423A7-1AE0-4776-9DD2-9E2B38F0A515_zpsltyr8aq9.jpg

Came out pretty good. Measures 12 3/4" where they hit the floor at the rear tire and 12 3/4" where they hit the garage door out in front. Doesn't get much better than that. Building the laser holders with a front and rear adjustable mount post was the right decision. It allowed me to zero them in with the vernier on the bench before they even went on the rear wheel and resulted it it being bang on first try.

Tomorrow: build the front clamp scales and maybe get some of the electrical work done.

:)

xb33bsa said:
nice lacers take the tars off the rims you loose accracy with them on

Those aren't the tires that it's going to wear, they're just for rolling it around d the shop.

But, depth gauge revealed the clamp is equal distance front and rear from the rim face so its acceptable like that. I built it to be able to "squeeze front or rear independently to get the clamp to rim face equal if needed.

Cheers

xb33bsa said:
there ya go then, quite astute, carry on

Cheers.

You are quite correct though. Inaccuracies can arise from production tolerances on the tire tread edge (where most guys do the string method from). A few mm's here and there and suddenly your bike is crab walking/dog tracking down the road.

Using the rim is for sure a better idea (assuming lateral runout is withing spec, not rim bends, warps, etc), but i also wanted something I could chuck on my other bikes to check aligments quicky (chain drive bikes mostly). Taking tires off rims makes it an all day affair instead of a half hour or so.

Thats why i made the clamps "adjustable" front to rear on a rim and used the tire as the "surface".. It's just a time saver is all.

Made the front scales today:

B88523B1-246C-4052-867E-EB9440A3DC27_zpsctslxph7.jpg

Painted the frames white as red laser stands out well against it. I was going to go all fancy and build the arms to fold, but ended up going "KISS" and just welded it up. The actual "rulers" are adhesive backed tape. I got it from my wife's photo kit. Amongst other things, she does accident and crime scene photo's and she had a couple rolls of it lying around. Since it's pretty much just printed paper, I covered it with clear packing tape to keep it nice and white in a greasy/dirty environment.

A little friggin around and I had it centered, lined up and ready to go:

6F834231-37B3-451D-A777-8EAF0333C050_zpsrflfe1br.jpg

Played around for a bit and got the offset between front and rear wheel to zero MM. Moved to the front of the bike to see how it all looked:

D8811077-0265-42BE-8E29-9EDC391FC4E4_zpsrk9z2lew.jpg

Apparently, my being very fussy when building the rear wheel and getting things lined up at the rear wheel/swingarm has paid off; front wheel is on plane with the rear wheel, front wheel is central to the steering stem and centered in the forks.

It's just a matter of measuring out and making the proper front wheel spacers and its good to go.

Once I get that all sorted, it's time to pull the engine and start upgrading to VMax specs. Nice thing is that's all just bolt on parts.

good bye 99 BHP:

B7FF06C7-F5F8-419F-BC2E-BDF375263153_zps7d7cbuos.jpg

And on our way to 140-ish BHP:

E1578AED-CCD9-40DC-80D5-9BB9889F96DE_zpswn5rglvp.jpg

Heads and cams are good for about 25-30 hp.

Vmax has a slight compression bump over the venture pistons, which will cost me a little bit.

V-boost doesn't really add a lot (depending on tuning, no v-boost sometimes gives more hp), claims are anywhere from 5-15 HP. What it does give you is a "2 stroke like" kick when it comes in. Makes it "feel" like more than what it is. Since this is just a fun bike, that's good enough for me!

Exhaust and 1 mm larger carbs would make up the rest of the VMax 145. I'm hoping to snug up to around 140 BHP with my modified exhaust. Not holding my breath for it, but the Venture should have significantly more kick once back together.

Also finished the 1986 wiring swap. It's all set up with cruise and on board air suspension now. The rest of the 1986 Royale "extras" (IE: radio, cb, etc) where parsed out of the harness. Dead weight for nothing to me.

The ZG14 shock didn't work out, too long. So it's air suspension for now. I'll tear the shock down when I have some free time and see if I can machine the internals to fit better. No big deal if it doesn't work out, I've only got about 50 bucks into it.

Budget is also intruding at this point. I may shelve the 17" radial project for next winter. The stock bias ply tires still have lots of life left and will do for at least a summer. Shelving it for now would give me lots of time to get it done right rather than rush it. You don't want to rush wheel fabrication. It would also give me elbow room in the budget to get the paint and whatnot finished without dipping into credit cards. Always a good thing to avoid credit card debt.....

Back
Top Bottom