sh!tbox CM400 project. 4/30 ttfn

MarcW

yo... ohio...
I was lazy and rather than search for my old thread i figured I'd start a new one... Even though reposting all the pics will prob take longer then doing a search... Anyways, here's pics!!

Pretty much when I got her... except for the clubmans and blacked wheels
IMG_0780.jpg

First tail attempt....
IMG_0808.jpg

Same tail, cut springs, went to Hawk wheels (f 17 to 19, r 16 to 18)
IMG_0897.jpg

Attempt at modding the tail, it sat this way for a while...
IMG_1331.jpg

And now that I finally got a bug up my ass to ride again!!!
Stripped, clip ons, 4 3/4 headlight, cl350 shocks (for now), finally made a ghetto elec tray...
IMG_2035.jpg

IMG_2036.jpg

IMG_2037.jpg

IMG_2041.jpg

I'll try and get better pics in the next few days..
I'll be running a chopped up rear fender from a gl1000 with a sparto for now, waiting for my solder pot to come in the mail so I can shorten the cables!!

Re: CM400 Brat... Finally almost ready to ride

Im excited to see where you go with the bike. I just got my cm400 on the road today... so stoked. What do you have planned for turn signals?

i like the original tail that was on there.

or a nice flat tracker tail would look nice

looks good

Nice nice! this is pretty much what i´m doing with my cb400t! i´m still struggling with the seat though.

Thanks for the comments!!

I have some small round turns I got a while ago I was goint use but I'm not positive now...

I thought about the flat tracker tail, the rear and seat areas of the frame don't lend very well to mods not using the factory pan so the rear's not final yet..

Is that back tire a 4.00 or a 4.50? Any clearance issues or problems? I want to beef up my back tire -- it's an 18 / 4.00, but it looks too skinny. I definitely want to go a bit bulkier. My front tire is a 19 / 3.50. I wonder if I'd have to ditch the front fender if I went to a 4.00 or 4.50..

Looking good!

I'd love to see some pics of your electrical tray. I'm moving along on a CM400 project that will probably end up more brat than cafe and moving the electronics is coming up very soon on my list.

My daily rider is also a CM400, the same color as yours too so I love seeing these pics!

Black Motor Covenant said:
Is that back tire a 4.00 or a 4.50? Any clearance issues or problems? I want to beef up my back tire -- it's an 18 / 4.00, but it looks too skinny. I definitely want to go a bit bulkier. My front tire is a 19 / 3.50. I wonder if I'd have to ditch the front fender if I went to a 4.00 or 4.50..

i'll check the tire size tommorrow, I think it's a 4.50. No clearance problems until now...

Started shortening the wiring... Struts, swingarm is bottomed out on the frame... I'm gonna be using a 78 gold wing front fender for the rear, kinda cool looking since it's ribbed...

I had to bash in the back of the elec tray to clear the tire now...

Here's a few more pics!

P1010014.jpg

P1010015.jpg

P1010016.jpg

P1010017.jpg

Lmk what you think!!

Re: CM400 Brat... New pics, update 8/21

Hey man, I really like where you've taken the bike. However, I agree with the post above about the first tail though. It really did look good. I like the lines on the bike now though. I'd say ride it with the struts for awhile and see how you like it. If you end up liking, go ahead and hardtail. getting some DOM tubing and have it welded to the axle plates. Then match it up with the seat tubes. A couple of gussets and braces and your golden. It would take it to the next level. Just my .02

MarcW said:
i'll check the tire size tommorrow, I think it's a 4.50. No clearance problems until now...

Thanks man! Would be a big help.

This is the best CM Brat I've seen so far! I like what you did with the struts and the wiring is real clean. Do you plan on putting a different tank on the bike? I see a lot (in this style) with Sportster tanks. Not sure how that would look or fit on this particular frame? Looks fine regardless, just curious! Do you plan on running a springer seat?

Thanks for the input!! It will probably go to a true ridgid over the winter , I just want to get her on the road by fall so I can see how bad the hardtail beats me up. I've heard everything from "it's not too bad " to "it really sucks". To get the stance I want with this frame set up it would have to be really stiff springs anyway...

Staying with the 70's striped Honda tank, the backbone of these frames isn't really other tank freindly from what I've seen!!

B M C - Back tire is a 120/80 - 18, just under 4.50 when I put a tape on it!! Hope that helps!!

Wiring harness chopping... Harbor freight soldering irons = junk, so I'm just chopping out the length and factory plugs to be replaced with bullet terminals. Picked up a sealed cell lawn mower battery to help run the lights, it's low Ah but it's kick only so it doesn't seem to matter.

More pics soon

more pictures, more pictures, we're hungry! LOL. Agree with what you are saying about the tanks and the frame. I really like that tank anyhow, for what its worth ;) Hey man, before you throw out that iron, were you using flux? Makes a world of difference. I know its a pITA but heat shrink and solder does such a nice job and you'll never have to worry about it again. Just my .02
Troy

Re: CM400 Brat... New pics, update 8/26

Bar harnesses shortened, didn't take too long just a bit of a pita...

From this
P1010046.jpg

To this
P1010048.jpg

P1010050.jpg

The trash
P1010052.jpg

And now to clean up this mess
P1010053.jpg

Couple pics of the mocked up fender and tail, 75 gold wing ribbed front fender with a limp dick tail
P1010054.jpg

P1010055.jpg

Troy, it was flux core solder... prob should have fluxed the wire too lol

fuck that's a lot of wiring.
i'm digging the battery pan, nice place to hide it.

amazing how much extra wire they put on these bikes. I use liquid flux when ever I'm soldering. I don't know what I'm doing but it makes a night and day difference! I dig that tail light.

HA! Well, now I don't feel so crazy. I remember cutting out the extra 2ft of wiring on my 750 thinking it must be aftermarket. I guess Honda thought you'd need the extra wire for...? It was a huge PITA. I'd honestly like to simplify more some day-seems like overkill.

it definitely is overkill. I hate Honda's factory wiring. It has gotten to the point these days that I strip all of the wires/crap off and then start from scratch. It's crazy going from a 1.5" bundle of wires to 3 or 4 wires TOTAL. Oh, did I mention how I hate Honda factory harnesses?!

I'm looking foreward to working on my 72 cl350 w/ a sl350 kick only engine.... I will love the 4 wire harnes!!! lol

Thanks for the comments, hope to get some more pics up soon!!

i stripped probably 5lb of wire out of mine. i went from a 6.5 ft wiring harness to a 1.5 ft wiring harness and a lot less wires cuz of no turns and other stuff.

bike looks good. im diggin it. is it just the pics or do them wheels look huge?

Back
Top Bottom