First Project - 1980 SR250

Bubba1982

This is my first project, I have had a few bikes over the years but always wanted to have a proper project and with my very basic skills I wanted a simple but fun bike that would allow me to give stuff a go myself as much as possible.

Plans at the moment are to:

De lug and tidy up frame
Pod filter & re-jet
Strip the rest of the engine, inspect (might need help with this)
Replace any mechanic parts needed & clean
Full new gasket set, service etc.
Clean up the engine but leave unpainted
New chain & sprockets, brake shoes etc

Then I hope to:

Install a kickstart
Minimal wiring, clean/hide switches
Replace front end with XV535 forks, yokes, hub & disc brake
18" rims back & front, new tyres etc
Some kind of new seat

I have been checking out all the previous builds on here for inspiration and information on which have been great!!

Are there any mods or upgrades recommended on these bikes while I will have the engine apart?

My first job is to strip & clean the carb, I think it pretty much needs new everything inside parts wise so just keeping the body and will clean it up & order all the new bits. Think I might need a new diaphragm cover as mine is a bit rusty & corroded on the inside too.

Thanks in advance

2064ccfc7f808d058b7ddcfa7c7d95be.jpg
65859a816284312b4134f7f8f5dde7ba.jpg
8208f0ddd49ea2f487f6c5c415b64635.jpg
d2b1b88d5e5aded1f00c99426599c5a5.jpg
34bfe3eb257850d6784fb64e4e9ee567.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I bought this bike in bits so have no idea on the engine mileage, it's had 16 owners since new so looking to replace any tired engine parts where needed. The piston & bore look to be in good condition..

Can any past SR250 builders offer any advice or upgrades I should look at doing when I have it all disassembled on the bench?

Thanks in advance

Hi Bubba1982,

Congrats on the new project and best of luck with the build. Since you're dealing with a basket case and are bound to run into a few snags along the way (i.e. missing, broken, or worn parts) my advice is to focus your time and effort getting it together and running - and then ride it, before you look at modding the engine. It would be a total shame to spend money on engine upgrades to find out down the road that you have some other major issue... if you're planning POD filter and open exhaust take the time to get the jetting correct. Save your money for good tires, drive train and brakes! There's no point making the bike go fast if you can't corner or stop in a hurry!

If you haven't already done so, check out some of the threads by Jadus, who has done a LOT of testing, modding and documenting performance.

Best of luck with the build and l look forward to watching your progress!

sbruton said:
Hi Bubba1982,

Congrats on the new project and best of luck with the build. Since you're dealing with a basket case and are bound to run into a few snags along the way (i.e. missing, broken, or worn parts) my advice is to focus your time and effort getting it together and running - and then ride it, before you look at modding the engine. It would be a total shame to spend money on engine upgrades to find out down the road that you have some other major issue... if you're planning POD filter and open exhaust take the time to get the jetting correct. Save your money for good tires, drive train and brakes! There's no point making the bike go fast if you can't corner or stop in a hurry!

If you haven't already done so, check out some of the threads by Jadus, who has done a LOT of testing, modding and documenting performance.

Best of luck with the build and l look forward to watching your progress!

Thanks much appreciated, yeah I agree that does sound like a more sensible plan.

Been looking at quite a few threads for inspiration and information, some great builds on here!!

Hey Bubba,

Good luck with the project!

My advice, for what it's worth, is to consider this stage to be a trial build and to resist the temptation to get into chroming or making it shiny in any way at this stage. Get the rolling chassis back together, and buy/replace any parts that are either missing (duh) or worn and not safe. Get the engine back together and back in the frame. This will teach you a ton about the bike, without incurring the costs of a cosmetic upgrade.

At that point, you'll be better placed to decide how much time, money, blood, sweat, tears etc you want to spend ;D

- Pasta

Back
Top Bottom