1972 DS7 The Row Boat

clem said:
Teaser I suppose that my cajun humor is not be translated?

Couldn't be sure if you were serious or being funny. My comment was supposed to be mildy amusing/annoying. Guess that didn't work either.

Come on guys I speak perfect English with no accent. Just ask Big Rich, I sound like I'm from PA.

Re: Re: 1972 DS7 The Long Road- The Un-Cafe

clem said:
Alright all bumps aside, I got the oil tank mounted to the rewelded end of the frame. I put oil in the tank and was able to prime it to the banjo bolts on the cylinder. The plan is to start it up next weekend. I should be able to get the drive hub done tomorrow. I also have the metal for the new seat on the way so that can get done also.
20140125_130408_zps5b1d449a.jpg

20140125_130402_zps0382a35c.jpg

How tall will your tail piece need to be to cover that tank? Seems high. You could mount it with the bracket on the bottom instead of the top. Might drop it a quarter to half an inch looks like.

No higher than the original seat that I built. It just needed to be longer to fit the taillight and the oil tank.

I didn't get a chance to go to the machinist today so I made these brackets for the speedometer and tachometer.
20140126_151927_zpscbf53b04.jpg

20140126_170521_zps050e4fa8.jpg

holy fuck this thing looks bad ass!!!!!!! Great job! Make sure ya get some youtube vid up of it running when you start it up... I love to hear them pop. I restored an RD250 as a young man of 18/19 and have re-done most of my RD400 over the last several years. These bikes are tons of fun!!!

Ya think so? Im using the stock rubber dampers as well. I don't remember how that bracket was attached to the bike originally but I assumed that it was attached to the triple clamp.

I'd ditch the stock bracket altogether and make new ones (individually) to bring the gauges in left and right as close to the triples as possible
Tighter is cleaner ;D

I'll probably pull it back in and put the raised part in the ignition slot to eliminate any boing that it may have.

I got the bike running today. I had a couple of hiccups though. With the 520 chain on the clutch actuator hits the chain. It did fit without the chain so I figure that with a 520 sprocket and chain it should fit. The petcock was also leaking. It is an aftermarket one so I'll lay out the cash for the real deal, I shouldn't have taken a shortcut on that one.
I have a video but no youtube account to post it up here. Is there any other way to embed a video on this site?
It did feel pretty good to fire it up after a little more than a year with a bike that I never heard run and the engine was trashed. It fired up first kick but took a bit of fiddling to get it to run steady with the RD350 carbs on the bike.

Was able to use the google account for the video.

http://youtu.be/EnT4Jk1I4Jo

clem said:
I got the bike running today. I had a couple of hiccups though. With the 520 chain on the clutch actuator hits the chain. It did fit without the chain so I figure that with a 520 sprocket and chain it should fit. The petcock was also leaking. It is an aftermarket one so I'll lay out the cash for the real deal, I shouldn't have taken a shortcut on that one.
I have a video but no youtube account to post it up here. Is there any other way to embed a video on this site?
It did feel pretty good to fire it up after a little more than a year with a bike that I never heard run and the engine was trashed. It fired up first kick but took a bit of fiddling to get it to run steady with the RD350 carbs on the bike.

Great you got the bike running! I had also bought aftermarket petcock for the 500 and it to leaked!! I just took it apart and relocated and O ring that was out of position and it has not leaked since, maybe you could try taking yours apart before shelling out for a new one.

Hope you have an easier time with the jetting than I am ;D

I'll try that out John. I had gas everywhere man! I'll admit that initially I forgot to tighten it down way back when I first bought it to use for the tank relocation and never even though of going back over the petcock. I could see where that may have caused an o-ring to get misaligned. I had gas dripping down my arms trying to tighten it up and didn't think that the wife would let me back in the house smelling like that . Live and learn. Maybe the jetting will go well.

Back
Top Bottom