Gasolina Boots

Thats awsome Weezy, Merry Christmas!
Hope they ship quick, Good looking on the discount. You got a much better deal than the $200 or more you were lookin at. Thats awsome.

btw what color did you get?

Definitely the black ones. I wasn't too sure about the white stripe when I frst saw them but I kind of like it now. Besides I can always dye it black if I change my mind.

Ok so my boots came in a couple of days ago. It started with a phone call form DHL couriers telling me they were in. That only means one thing, duty charges! It cost me an additional $23.00. Now that's not too bad as it is the cost of the tax that I would have to if I had bought them locally. What I thought was wrong was that I had to pay tax on the $7.00 handling fee. That's right I had to pay tax for the privilege of paying tax.

Any way when I opened the box the first thing I noticed was that the white striped ,which is a dyed piece of leather, had some rough edges. In all honesty it only stands out because of the contrast between the colors and only when I look at it closely. I should note that I am comparing against my old boots which are tall engineer style with a vibram sole with steel toes and shank.
Here is a picture as they came out of the box.
100_0332.jpg

I did feel that the uppers were not as thick as they could have been. They had a tendency to flop over.
100_0333.jpg

I also thought that the leather used for the straps was too thin. They might stretch or curl over time. The buckle is held in place by a single rivet. I'm not too sure on how long they will last but I'm sure I can get thicker straps sewn on if they come off. Maybe even add a couple extra if it comes to that. The sole looks like it is molded from some sort of durable plastic. Maybe plastic is not the right word but it does not look as robust as say a Vibram sole. I should add that they have been making shoes since 1960 so they should know what they are doing and are famous for their soles. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

As for sizing, what I did was go to my local box store with my sea boot socks and try on several styles of boots. What I came up with was one size larger than my regular shoe size. You have to make sure you convert the US sizes to UK sizing when you order though. The boots fit well for me. One of my feet is a little larger doe to an injury several years ago and will have a little breaking in to do. I did notice that the top of the boots at the calf was a close fit and one side more than the other. Maybe my calves are different sizes? All this was done with sea boot socks over regular sport socks with my pants tucked into them. So I can always just ditch the extra socks or just wear my pants over the boots if I need more room.

I hope this doesn't sound too negative because the more I wear them around the house to break them in the more I like them. After a couple of days wearing them the uppers are starting to round out. I think the main reason they flopped over was because the zipper is acting as a hinge, not allowing it to remain round.
All in all i'm fairly happy with them now.It was a good unique boot at a good price.
100_0331.jpg

Ordered 10 days ago, sent an email right away trying to change the shipping address. Haven't heard a thing.

After another mail, nothing, nada.

I have been looking at the gasolina boots since I ran across a mention on this site sometime last year. I emailed the dude and like others have said it took a while to get info back. It was around turkey day so he said he'd get back in touch with me after that. I just emailed him two days ago as a reminder and he just responded a few minutes ago a confirmation that they have my size in stock. He also sent me a paypal invoice for the order. I just paid up so we'll see how long it takes to deliver. I'm guessing for $15 shipping you get the slow donkey cart service from Mexico.

I have to say that communication is definitely lacking but, these are some of the coolest boots I've seen so maybe it's worth a bit of a hassle. He seems like a nice enough fellow when he does respond.

Goggles - you'll have to post a picture when you get them. I'd like to see how they turn out.

Iassenc - You didn't say which boots you orderd and where from. Why did you want't to change your dellivery address?

Weezy said:
Goggles - you'll have to post a picture when you get them. I'd like to see how they turn out.

Iassenc - You didn't say which boots you orderd and where from. Why did you want't to change your dellivery address?

I'll post up a review once I get them. I think there's only one other review on here but I can't find it searching.

Weezy, I ordered them from gasolina. I am in Europe, so we have to pay toll. Now I forgot that, so I just had it sent to my fathers work as usual, because there is always someone to receive the package.

Then I wanted to change it to his home adress, because it would be simpler with payment of the toll. They haven't replied to anything. Also wrote to confirm the size, because the paypal note/message messed up when I wrote "8½" in it. Said "Size: 8½". So I just wanted to confirm that they also understood it as 8½/8,5.

Today I filed a Paypal dispute. I still want the boots, and it's fine if they contact me, but there has been NOTHING, I can see that they did accept the payment though, and the money has been drawn long ago.

From the site I can only see one boot being offered, but yours seem different. I just want the model pictured.

Dude, that sucks.

I was hoping to hear that somebody somewhere actually got some of these boots. I still think they look pretty good. Oh well, sounds like more of the same fuckaround the rest expierenced , only you're out some money. Let us know how it pans out.

Yeah it sounds like getting a response from Gasolina boots is pretty spotty. Too bad , it dosen't do much to build a feeling of trust with them. Hopefully it will turn out OK.

Sorry if I hijacked the thread a while back.The boots that I bought were not "Gasoilina" boots they were form "Dr Marten"

[/size]
[size=10pt]Hello Lasse,

I am very sorry not to have answered you. I started this little business by designing
a boot and offering it to a vintage motorcycle club for sale. It took off like crazy and
I was soon out of all the original sizes that I had made. I have ordered boots from
two different small boot makers, but they have been so busy trying to make me
boots to fill the individual orders as they come in, that they haven't had time to make
any "stock" for me. So the orders have been taking a long time to send out. In the
meantime, I have no employees and have been trying to do everything myself - not
very successfully in the correspondence department, I'm afraid. I am really sorry.

I now have found a really professional small boot maker who has made a large order
for me of "standard" sized boots. I am supposed to receive them this week. In Mexico
everything takes longer than it is promised or expected. But they do make nice boots !

I know you are "fed up" and I cannot blame you at all. But if you can bear with me
and send me your measurements, I think you would be very happy with your "Classic
Boots."

Since sizes vary with different manufacturers, and boots have more dimensions
than just length and width, I want to make sure that you would be completely
happy with the fit. I have attached a “size form.” It will only take a few minutes
to take your measurements, but this way we eliminate any doubt as to the size
you require.
I have found it best to measure feet with the socks that you normally wear with
boots. Less chance of a mistake. You do not need to return the chart, just the
measurements. I will then be able to tell you if I have your size available.

Just so you know, these boots are constructed of high quality top grain 1.2 to 1.4
outer leather - black only, at this time. The full leather lining is a soft, glove type
leather. They are made here in my small mountain town, by hand, with great
attention to detail, no assembly line.

Best regards,
Todd Fell
[/size]
[size=10pt]

I've actually been to the town where they make the boot. Good quality work they do down there. But yeah, things work at a different pace down there.

Gasolina Boots is my folks' company... My mom is spending a few hours a day at the computer just answering email (in addition to her her normal work) and some stuff slips by. We've had some issues with our boot-maker, his quality is excellent, but he's not used to the volume and keeps getting orders mixed up - making the same custom order twice, losing orders... once he screwed up the inches to CM conversion and made us some freakishly large boots... just does things his own way.
We're currently moving to a larger shop with more cobblers, but with a whole new set of headaches.

Holiday said:
I've actually been to the town where they make the boot. Good quality work they do down there. But yeah, things work at a different pace down there.

I love Mexico and get a kick out of living here but the concept of time is very... relaxed...
Right now we're playing catch up with orders, and trying to make everybody who's paid for boots happy. :)

Awesome - welcome to DO THE TON!

Maybe we need a special DO THE TON series of Gasolina boots with our logo embossed on the sides ;)

Viajero81 said:
Gasolina Boots is my folks' company... My mom is spending a few hours a day at the computer just answering email (in addition to her her normal work) and some stuff slips by. We've had some issues with our boot-maker, his quality is excellent, but he's not used to the volume and keeps getting orders mixed up - making the same custom order twice, losing orders... once he screwed up the inches to CM conversion and made us some freakishly large boots... just does things his own way.
We're currently moving to a larger shop with more cobblers, but with a whole new set of headaches.

I love Mexico and get a kick out of living here but the concept of time is very... relaxed...
Right now we're playing catch up with orders, and trying to make everybody who's paid for boots happy. :)

Welcome to the forum and thanks for taking the time to post. I look forward to receiving the pair I ordered. The style is perfect and I'm sure it will look even better in person.

Viajero81 said:

howdy,just curious about what the relationship between gasolina and vampire is? they apear to be almost identicle aswell as made in mexico.
cheers

anyone else looking to do it right and get a gold topp,rivett,lewis etc. cut classic boot, make sure to check ebay for vampire left overs while you wait for gasolina to sort out.

Just got my Gasonlina boots delivered today. I'll post up a different review thread later on, but wanted to say that they definitely DO NOT disappoint. These things are top notch and are much better than anticipated.

Back
Top Bottom