...wtf- Kickstart Problem.

DC74inc

Come on in and sit on it.
  • tore down my cb360 engine
  • rebuilt it new seals, cleaned, etc.
  • put it back together
  • Kick start won't turn over the crank...
So, It's either (1) in-gear and the kick start is out of engagement
(2) the kick start is in wrong, i doubt it.

Is the kick start only engaged when the bike is in neutral? I don't have a chain to roll the bike around and go through the gears while I am working on it to put it in neutral and then have the kick start work. maybe you know alot more than me? shoot.

p.s. the kick start feels smooth, and hooked into the trans properly, it's just not engaged. when I had the bottom end open, I ran it through all the gears by hand cleanly, and then built it back up. HELP?

Based on what you said, that the kick start turns the transmission but not the engine, it sounds to me like the clutch is engaged. Thats how my kz650 works anyway. Check the adjustment on the clutch cable.

On mine the kick start "works" in gear in that it will move the bike forward. I have to have it in neutral with my hand off the clutch.

Based on my experience with what I said above it seems like the kick start isn't attached to the motor, but rather the transmission. So it won't turn the crank with the clutch engaged, and you need to be in neutral to prevent the bike from moving when kicked.
This is just what I observed on my bike, but I have never ridden it or gone through the gears. I have started it once on the kick start however. Good luck, hopefully you'll be out riding soon.

cdiver666 is right, kickstart turns transmission and drives through clutch so will only 'work' in neutral

saw this happen on my 360 and paying for it now, when i had adjusted the valves and set them to spec the bike fired up fine and i was letting it sit idle for the first 5 mins of life i had breathed into it since having it. then is just randomly stopped, the bike then wouldn't let me kick it back over. after some investigating i took off the valve covers and noticed my exhaust tappets were slightly bent to where i couldnt re-set the valves, from there i took off the head and realized at idle that my timing chain had cracked but didnt seperate until i got it to by hand, now im waiting for my valve spring compressor to make sure my valves and everything else are ok. so before you go and try to crank it over go through it like i did otherwise it could have been way worse and looking for a new engine.

Is the motor in the frame? Are all the engine case bolts back in and tightened to spec? I had a similar problem with a CB400F motor on my bench. When trying kick it over on the bench, I did not have all the bolts back in the case, the cases moved slightly and would not allow it to kick over.

I adjusted the clutch cables, and put a chain on the bike. SO I was able to shift into N and then kick it, I think I need to just drain the oil and study the clutches action turning it over exposed... I'll get back once I've tried that. My clutch plates are exactly beautiful... could that make the clutch fail (somewhat grimy friction plates)

Clutch could slip or drag but it will still more or less work if it's assembled correctly.
Did you remove kickstart shaft from case?
Sounds like it's a clutch assembly or transmission problem

hmm yeah, it stays engaged all the time. which makes we wonder is the adjustment on the left of the bike the cable side, where the adjuster bolt is or the clutch side, where I can basically only tool with the clutch springs. You know what it's like... It's like there's a plate missing and the outer pressure plate cant press against any plates; but I have 8 friction and 7 steels. F**k the clutch hustla, I'm out. DC74. Thx guys. ps. now every screw on the bike is pulled, so.. there's that too.

Attachments

• smaller2.jpg
    smaller2.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 189
Back
Top Bottom