*need help* Yamaha rd250 bastard barn find parts ID

tonofun

I just got a new smoker. Its a 75 rd250. It was used as a track bike back in the late 70s ,early 80s. I need some help identifying some "bastard parts that where on it. Please see pics below. First off it has a front end with dual disc, anti dive and 37mm fork tubes. not sure what its off of. I think it may be a Seca???, but it looks older than that. I think the discs and calipers and wheel is off a xs 1000......im lost on this! Also can anyone identify the fiberglass tank/seat/cowl piece. The guy I got it from thinks its Ossa product??? He said it was pretty expensive back in the day. I am not sure but all this stuff seems to be from the late 70s early 80s. Any help in identifying would appreciated Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 100_4747.JPG
    100_4747.JPG
    466.7 KB · Views: 123
  • 100_4744.JPG
    100_4744.JPG
    465.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 100_4746.JPG
    100_4746.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 100_4748.JPG
    100_4748.JPG
    460.5 KB · Views: 129
Swivel....You might be right, but the body work might have to go. My 16 year old daughter walked into the shop and look at the bike and immediately started singin"da.da .da da. da. da dah batman! It does look a little "batmanish". I might need a cape when i ride!

Probably Kawasaki forks, they tended to use 'odd' sizes and they look a bit short for GSX?
If Suzuki, they will have an 'S' cast in somewhere (usually on the 'back side' just above mudguard mounts)
Wheels are probably later RD400, the bigger Yams had 19" front (650 and up)
Bodywork probably Tracey, OSSA road stuff wasn't easily available by late 70's

Swivel said:
I think the footpeg plates on it are the same as the ones on the EZ image.The EZ had 37.0mm forks.

Good point about footrest plates, makes sense to source everything from a single bike

crazypj said:
Good point about footrest plates, makes sense to source everything from a single bike
I htink you guys are right! it does tie the bike to the EZ. Thanks

I forgot how simple these bike are. I had no spark, but had a bad connection. after a few head scratches etc. I cleaned the carbs, added bottom end oil and a drip bag. first kick pop....second kick started right up.........purred like a kitten with a pack of cigs in its mouth.....gotta love a smoker!!

Back
Top Bottom