1/4 turn throttle on the cheap...

TonUpSoldier

bad assed, super fast and fully gassed
So i dunno if you guys have posted this lil trickeroo up or not, but here goes. Keep in mind, this may not work on EVERYONE's bike, especially those who have smaller metal killswitch/throttle sleeve housings, but for the late 70's early 80s bikes who had the bigger, plastic ones, its a cinch.

I picked up from BikeBandit (any other OEM parts supplier will do) a throttle sleeve from an '04 Yammaha YZF-R1/R6. It fits perfectly over standard 7/8s bars, and as i said, fits MOST stock throttle/killswitch housings. Push/pull is not an issue, as this sleeve will accept either or. Its just SLIGHTLY larger than the stock sleeves where the throttle cable wraps as you pull the throttle. Where a stock housing would require a 1/2 turn to get to WOT, this sleeve requires only 1/4 turn to do so. Yes, it takes a slight adjustment in the cable to get the play out of it. It also takes a slight adjustment in muscle memory. IE, its a bit touchy at first. Took me a trip around the block or two to get used to it. To me, it made the bike (in this case both my 77 GS750 cafe and my 83 GS1100ES got one) much more responsive, as its supposed to, but it also seemed to make the control more precise. Maintanence throttle adjustments are more sure, making, IMO the bike less twitchy in the corners when adding or slacking the throttle a little bit. It also seems easier to HOLD a possition thru a line. May be my imagination, but thats my story and im sticking to it. Plus, coming out of the corner, a FLINCH of the wrist, and BLAST OFF!!! Just be carefull not to break the rear end loose goosing it too soon..hehehe.

The sleeve comes with a grip installed, which i preferred the R1 grip over my stock Zook grips. Yeah, its not quite retro, but who cares? If feels better. I picked up the sleeve, with the grip, and a matching grip for the other bar, shipped for around 22 bucks. Cant beat that for a quickie cheapie upgrade :)

Back
Top Bottom