'86 Interceptor 2 smoke project

Seems like it has been a productive week. For not really having any motivation for working on this thing for the last year or so, it sure has come back to me. I really enjoyed painting the frame. I don't know why, but it always seems like you've really achieved something when you look at a clean painted frame. In my case, all shiny black, light echoing off it in little beams. I think it is because it is the foundation for what your trying to build. And then when you start adding new, cleaned or painted items, it seems that much better. I couldn't wait to put in place the gas tank with a seat, it seems to bring everything together. Many have taken the time to do some inspiring work on here. All I have done is put lipstick on a pig, and called it good. But with that being said, it is still satisfying. I still have a long road ahead of me, but I have learned to take one step at a time, do something, and hope fully do it right so I won't have to come back to it in the future. I think I enjoy doing this more than the actual riding. Because for me, it is really neat to put down in hard format what I have been thinking about. Almost like an artist I suppose, but I would never call myself that. So thanks for all the updates everyone is posting on their builds, I look forward everyday to looking at them and seeing what you all have accomplished. As a human, we all want positive feedback, and we may not all respond, but to see how many people have been looking at my build is enough for me. This is a great site that I escape to every now and then to get away from reality.

Ok, wow, so now that I got all that out of the way, lets get back to some more progress. I've been looking forward to cleaning and painting the engine. As many of you know, it is a 1978 YZ400 2 stroke thumper. It is probably not the fastest engine out there, but I feel it is bulletproof, and that it lends itself to modification without to much hassle. I have a brand new reed valve installed, the carb has been cleaned but not jetted properly yet, and I have decided to actually have someone build me a correct exhaust system. One that will add power at a certain range, rather than a cheap put together one that I would do and have no idea where the power would be made. I want it to be aesthetically pleasing, too. But nothing on this bike is flashy, so it has to be subtle. Paint scheme: dull colors with some stickers. Simple, simple, simple!!

Yesterday I took the time to clean and paint the engine. When I was done, it was just as I hoped. A shiny black piece of American history sitting in front of me. Then my mind started to wander. I could add different colored pieces here and there to compliment it, but I then came back to reality and slapped myself in the face and told myself that is not what I am looking for. The one thing I did do is to take the paint off the edges of the fins. That is all I will do to this engine. Painted bolts and all will stay.

*I'm not sure why, but I cannot add pictures. I'll try again in the future.*

I also wanted to mention that the left front fork was leaking. I ordered new seals for that side and should have that done next week. Then I can put the fork in place, clean the front wheel and have a true roller. When I had the bike running down the street last year, I noticed that it would pull slightly to one side. Like I had to handle it to stay straight. Thinking that the frame may be bent, I closely inspected it and found no damage. The front forks were good also. When I took the triple tree out to paint the frame, I noticed the bearings were sticking a little. After cleaning them and adding new grease, they seem to be much better. I'm hoping that was the issue and it will resolve itself now. Going back to the fork-when I started to tear it apart, I removed the little screw at the bottom to drain the fork oil, and not much came out. Maybe that could lend itself to some of the issue?

Wasn't quite sure why I couldn't post a picture before, but now I can. Here's the engine all painted and looking pretty.
untitled_zps47eumykr.png

On another note, it's always a treat to go to the mail box and find what you've ordered days before. In my case, grab bars and a kickstand. I gave them a quick coat of paint, and will add them to the bike when dry.

I have not read all of your posts yet but did you consider the Suzuki T500 engine? This is very interesting. I have slabby frame and a couple of 2 stroke engines sitting around, your build is making me think...

I did do some research on different engines. Considering what was available, and price wise, I found this engine and thought it was a good fit. So far it's been pretty straight forward. The only issue that I see is that the engine sits high in the frame, and with it being a 2 stroke, the exhaust has proven to be very difficult. Thats why I'll let someone who knows what they are doing take care of that :)
If you have engines laying around, you could probably do something rather quickly. With me being a hack, and taking my sweet ass time, it's taken over a year to get this far.

I've got a roller! Super happy with how everything is turning out. Installed new fork seals on the left front fork and installed the rear sprocket. After work I'll get some fork oil. I've always used ATF, but I think this time I'll get the real stuff. I'll install the engine in the morning, and then take it to my friends garage where he has a small machine shop. He's going to help me make the brackets for the footpegs. I'm moving them back about 5-6 inches so my hips don't lock up like they do in the stock position. Nothing fancy, just some 6061 aluminum cut into shape and then I'll probably sandblast them for a clean look.

CAM02120_zpsvvesib0z.jpg

I had to move the bike around yesterday and noticed that. Now that I have the grab rails in the back, it's a whole lot easier to pick the bike up and slide it around. I think the yz400 engine weighs around 70-80 lbs.? So huge weight saving, for sure. What engines do you have laying around?

I have been waiting for this day for quite some time. It was nice that the left side of the frame is bolted on. I just took it off, put the engine on a jack and put it in place. I won't be using the center stand for the bike, it's just in place so I could put the engine in. I think it looks pretty damn good. Almost like it's suppose to be there.

CAM02122_zpstqyoct0a.jpg

CAM02124_zpsmitvxewk.jpg

Just out of curosity, if anybody has a petcock turn handle, I could sure use it. The one's I've bought are too big. I think this is an '85 tank.

interceptor said:
Just out of curosity, if anybody has a petcock turn handle, I could sure use it. The one's I've bought are too big. I think this is an '85 tank.

500 is different/ smaller than all the larger cc interceptors. I know a guy that may have one though if you want me to check

hurco550 said:
500 is different/ smaller than all the larger cc interceptors. I know a guy that may have one though if you want me to check
Yes, please. I have the piece that fits in the tank, just don't have the turn knob. Thanks!

Very cool, bike looks great and engine looks great in there. Please, please get a better camera and take some outdoor pics when your done, or at least wipe the lens on your current one :).

I know, I know. It's my cell phone camera. Piece of crap and it's all I have. Maybe I'll try it outside and turn it around so it takes a better pic that way. Thanks for the favorable comments :D

It just looks like the camera lens needs to be wiped off.
But you know people pay to have a filter like that, gives it that wispy dreamy look

I have a quick question guys. I see now that I have used a bigger rear sprocket that the chain may hit the frame in a certain spot. I think I can use a chain roller to remedy this. My questions are, should I get one with bearings? My Blaster that I had did not have bearings, just a post it mounted on. Second question if I should use bearings: Can I use a tall skateboard wheel (with bearings) instead of buying one specifically used for motorcycles? Thanks in advance.

interceptor said:
I have a quick question guys. I see now that I have used a bigger rear sprocket that the chain may hit the frame in a certain spot. I think I can use a chain roller to remedy this. My questions are, should I get one with bearings? My Blaster that I had did not have bearings, just a post it mounted on. Second question if I should use bearings: Can I use a tall skateboard wheel (with bearings) instead of buying one specifically used for motorcycles? Thanks in advance.

pics plz. This needs to be designed correctly the chain should not ride on a static wheel but can work to deflect slap as long as it does not create a bind.

CAM02132_zpslfl29nvw.jpg

Lower linkage for the rear shock and the cross member(?) that the chain is going to hit on the top part. If you can see it, there is a spot where the center stand once stood. I was thinking about using the one side to mount the chain roller to. Of course, I know you'll enjoy my great picture ???

I bought 2 size chain rollers (with bearings installed). My plan is to bolt one of them into place using the existing hole for the center stand. This should give me assurance that the chain won't hit the center cross member. Here's where I'm confused. The roller is exactly what dirt bikes use, its for a dirt bike. It looks to be made of hard plastic or nylon, and just bolts in place. I told the guy at the store what it was for, and he said that the bearing would get smoked, and it wouldn't last all that long because the chain would eat up the roller. I looked at him like, "what?" I then went and looked at some videos of dirt bikes, and the chain roller was doing the same thing on the dirt bike that I want to do on this bike. I don't get it! Anyways, I'm going to use it. And my thought is that the chain will hit it every so often, because when I sit down on the bike, it would take the chain further away from that cross member. It's just there for protection. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom