'75 CB550K1 Gulf - Round...3, the fun stuff

Re: '75 CB550 Gulf - round two

oooohhhh, swagger is the man for the job... I like justin bieber.

Looking forward to the updates!

Nice, I hope to employ the services of our fearless leader on a fork brace and steering damper mount when I get the GL back in my possesion and a shop space again. Can't wait to see what he does for you.

Maritime

Yeah, hopefully! I don't think there's much they can do besides swapping the shock. That's the downside to the base models; kind of a one size fits all thing with spring rates and damping. Seems like it will help some though... fingers crossed.

Before I head over to the shop I wanted to get folks' opinion on the chin fairing/belly pan. I think I'll have the plug finished tonight, but it will have some issues. The headers are wide set to allow access to the oil filter, so there's no way I can squeeze them into the fairing. (I also don't think a full fairing is an option now, but more on that next winter) I'll have to incorporate cut-outs into the fairing to allow pipes 1 and 4 to poke through on the sides. Does this look funky to anyone? I'm on the fence, but I think it could look neat all said and done...
chin1.jpg

I actually like it. It looks like it was made specifically for that bike, instead of being a graft on. Will there be issues with heat and the finish of the fairing?

I'm not sure yet. It's something I'll have to look into, with maybe some heat reflective material...and seeing how close other fenders get to the pipes!

My fairing is fairly close to my headers and thus far I haven't had any problems with finish/color. That being said it's not AS close as yours will be according to the photo. Also only the inside of mine is exposed to heat, looks like yours would kind of be exposed on the edge where it wraps around the pipe.

t71ford said:
I actually like it. It looks like it was made specifically for that bike, instead of being a graft on.

'zactly what I was thinking as well.

I made this belly pan last summer for my SFV and its fairly close to the front header and really close to the catalytic converter, no issues at all. I say you'll be fine. Love the look of it too, going to be very nice.

theRooms_5.jpg

theRooms_3.jpg

That looks great, Deacon! And thanks for the info, definitely good news.

Thanks. Also forgot to mention that this was painted with just Dupli-color rattle can, so I can only expect even better resistance with 'real' paint.

Some slow progress lately. Building the fender and belly pan plugs has been kicking my ass. It's such a time-consuming process. I seem to have blocked out just how labor intensive composite work is. Last winter I remember it being much quicker.

Here's the belly pan plug. It will be trimmed, smoothed out, and painted. Then waxed, PVA'd, and a female mold created from it. From the female, a carbon fiber part will be made. Long road ahead...
9b0061c0.jpg

Here are the beginnings of the front and rear fender plugs. The end products will be created the same way as the belly pan. The front fender will mount directly to the Tarozzi fork brace, and will be custom molded to the brace. The rear will incorporate (hopefully) a chain guard as well. Not much to look at yet...
c7d9cec2.jpg

6feb5fe1.jpg

In other news, both brake rotors have been sent off to have the hole pattern recreated on the second rotor. The guy I sent them to has stopped answering my emails and phone calls. I'm a little nervous, but will give him the benefit of the doubt...for now.

Merged both threads to keep everything in one place...thanks Tim!

Re: '75 CB550K Gulf - plugs, plugs, plugs

If you get burned on your rotors you should go to a fzr brakes swap

I'd do it if it's nearly bolt-on. I want to get this turd on the road and not take it apart for a while. I'm burnt out on fabrication. Easy swap?

easy swap?....what does that mean....im confused, is there such a thing?

I know there are options for larger modern discs and the fzr parts may well be a good option. I believe it would be relatively easy for me to recreate a bracket that you make in a good hard wood first. Since I'm making spacers it would be cake to make a plate style caliper mount(or two) to suit. I'd look for double piston non-opposed calipers to clear the spokes but they are plentiful and cheap and there are loads of good stout pads available.

Psshhhhffft! Tired of fabrication........hahahaha.....

Hah, alright you got me. Too broad a statement. I'm over fabricating fiberglass!

I'll do a little research on the matter. I'd love something that doesn't involve a fork swap or hub modification. Considering I'm happy with the current brakes 95% of the time, the most effort I want to expend down there basically involves bolting things on.

Back
Top Bottom