Steps to take before running CB350

eoep

Been Around the Block
What are some steps I should take before running this engine? It did turn over before I emptied out old oil.

Attachments

• F4C17CCA-8DFE-45A3-9D92-C27D152CEBBC.jpeg
    F4C17CCA-8DFE-45A3-9D92-C27D152CEBBC.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 202
  • A9729852-82DC-4C36-9B79-7EA6BBE9B34B.jpeg
    A9729852-82DC-4C36-9B79-7EA6BBE9B34B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 209
I give the cylinders a little squirt of penetrating oil and let it soak in a few minutes. So there's something in there.

I wouldn't do motor oil as it would glaze the already glazed cylinders.

and squirt some motor oil in the valve inspection covers to coat cam and lifter as best you can.

You could pull carb bowls off and just give them a quick clean up. Atlest make sure floats will open to let gas in.

Fill w your fresh oil and put a heat lamp under it to preheat the engine.

Check static timing. To make sure you can get a spark. As long as everything else is good enough to get it there.

Have your meter real handy to quickly test battery voltage it it does start.

Squirt pentrant on chain and put a little air in tires. So if it does run good enough you can try to go for a little ride to see how it shifts.

I had zero intentions for my 400F to start and run...but it did.

Fuel pissing out of carbs on the ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7ojJyVNSw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TxcUfywY9g

The parked since 98, 400F took about 1-1/2 hours to get it started.
About the same for Piglet. Parked since 1978
400A Fired up with out too much fuss.

Fuel POURING out of all the carbs. lol

So keep fire extinguishers NEAR w pins pulled out. hahaha

Thanks man! So the minor rust on the points isn’t a a problem correct?

By the photo, I'd pull the points off and polish the rust off of the point cam so it doesn't grind the phenolic point shoe off. Pull the airbox to make sure there is not a mouse nest in it. Then oil the cam oiler wick, set the point gap, and give her a kick. Don't be surprised to see some critter's winter stash fly out the exhaust if it starts.

Is this thing running yet?

+1. Yes just knock the shit off the contacts assuming you plan to replace them anyways.
and yes pull the shitty old air filter out and clean box. So it all don't get sucked in.

don't rev it too much as the advancer could be stuck.

chucklump said:
What are some steps I should take before running this engine? It did turn over before I emptied out old oil.
Seriously? That motor was left without covers on for a long time to have that amount of rust and corrosion. around generator. Almost certainly had condensation if not actual water inside it. Personally I wouldn't attempt to start it until it had been in pieces to asses true damage. Although it's unlikely, having a tooth break off in transmission or on clutch because of rust wouldn't be any fun at all and a bearing breaking up would be 'less fun', if that is possible.As for some other questions, I just re-built 3 sets of CB350 carbs with various modifications ;) Rust on points return spring - toss them and fit new ones. they will never work properly (unless you double up on the springs they will be weak after cleaning rust off,) I tried it some time in the 70's so know it's more trouble than it's worth
trek97 said:
The parked since 98, 400F took about 1-1/2 hours to get it started.
About the same for Piglet. Parked since 1978
400A Fired up with out too much fuss.

Fuel POURING out of all the carbs. lol

So keep fire extinguishers NEAR w pins pulled out. hahaha
But were they parked outside with engine covers removed?

Back
Top Bottom