static balancing with new bearings

chickenStripCharlie

Coast to Coast
Is it possible that the rolling resistance of new bearings is high enough to prevent me from "static balancing" my tire?
Tire stops in random spots. I thought i got lucky and it was balanced. I tested it by sticking weights randomly and it still stops randomly, not with the weights on bottom as I expected. Even with 0.75oz!

Tire is Shinko 705 - Rim is a 93 Honda Nighthawk wheel

Using axle through the rim and supporting on jack stands. Confirmed that everything is level.

Wheel spins well when i spin it by hand, once it slows down it just stops. It does not ever roll back. Imagine as if it was a bicycle tire and the brakes were ever so slightly applied. You can still spin the wheel well by hand, but as it slows down it will just stop in whatever position.

I had no reason to suspect anything is wrong with the bearings, but i'm wondering if this is maybe normal for brand new bearings that have not been driven on? Every youTube video that shows this being done is being done on a bike with used bearings and a new tire.

Thanks guys!

Yep. New bearings should be pretty snug. Used to take half a day of running in before temperatures came down on the motor bearings on the machine I had back in the 90's.

I've stopped having bike tires balanced. Just drop in an ounce or two of balancing beads. Remember they are in there when unmounting, however! Those beads on a slick-finish concrete floor would be a major fall hazard. And Yes, you have to make sure the stem is on the bottom before checking pressure or beads will stick the valve open. I even run them in the car tire on the back of our GL1800. Good to 120 mph.

Back
Top Bottom