First bike ever!!!! 1978 Honda CB550k, Back on track

SouthPaw

Been Around the Block
Hey guys, So I am a new member here, been lurking for a while :)

This past weekend I found and picked up a motorcycle for a great deal. Shes a 1978 Honda cb550. 8154km... i am the second owner... It has been garaged for over 28 years and in 2007 the guy said it passed safety and it was road certified. This bike cost me my 32' LCD TV and 400$. The TV was collecting dust and I was not using it much.

I am kind of stuck on where to take this bike. Since it looks like it is in good shape, full restoration back to stock, or live out my Cafe Racer fantasy? There are A LOT of bikes on here and a few of them gave me inspirations as to what i want to ride.

Here are a few pics

Dent in the tank, and rusted from the inside, needs to be replaced, local bike shop had an excellent used tank for 140$ ( all prices are CAD as i live near Toronto)
Picture004.jpg

Engine looks good, some rust on exhaust and foot peg
Picture006.jpg

Tear in the seat, and a bit more rust spots.
Picture007.jpg

Mileage ( in kilometers ) and the last trip of the bike was just over 23km :p
Picture014.jpg

No battery or right cover, Local bike shop has one for 25$, same colour as bike and tank.
Picture029.jpg

Wasn't too sure what this was as the hose is severed inside, hanging by a thread, not sure if you can see it.
Picture035.jpg

Here is a better picture.
Picture036.jpg

There are a few pics I took today, and any opinions from the gurus of Cafe Racers would be appreciated. Also from what you guys can see, if you have suggestions or think I got ripped off by an 85 year old man, let me know. I think for what I payed and the condition the bike is in, I got a good deal. Heard the bike running, as he hooked up a gas tank from his generator and it started up first try. Also any spots you guys think I should check out myself for problems would be helpful.

Thanks in advance, for helping this newbie :D

~ SouthPaw

Re: First bike ever!!!! 1978 Honda CB550k,

Newbie or not that is a decent bike. Stock would be cool, but cafe is cheaper than sourcing oem parts. Plus there is a freedom that comes from building something unique. The feeling of building and improvising is a type of pride that you can't get treating the bike like you are a museum curator. I say tear it apart and see where the wind takes you.

It's not like I'm suggesting diving off without a net. Do what you think you can, or would want to learn. There are plenty of guys around here willing to lend a had if the thing gets out of control on you.

Bike looks pretty decent! I say, since summer is almost here, clean it up a bit, throw a set of clubmans on it and a new tank and cruise it! Then, come winter time, tear it down and build it the way you want it. Be it stock or cafe!

Welcome to the site man! There's plenty of stuff that you can do to that bike now and be able to return it to stock if you want.

Is that hose / cable thing the battery drain? If so, replace it asap. When you charge a battery, it vents gas and a little bit of water out that tube.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your tv, but I can almost guarantee you will enjoy the bike more!

Whoa I go to see a movie and i come back to replies :) You guys rock.

And yes I believe that is the battery drain now that you mention it. It comes from right below the battery cavity and has a slight greenish sludge around the break in the hose.

I am also debating investing in that super small battery that I saw at a build on this site, i clicked the link but it didn't end up leading me to the battery.

Again, Thanks guys and Ill post a few pictures tomorrow, taking the tank and seat off, seeing if i can get that choke cable to budge, as when we tried to start it last time it was chilly and the knob wouldnt pull out... ???

My choice would be to keep it stock ,but that's me.......my 78550K is stock

I'm thinking that hose is from the airbox see diagram #22

http://webservices.motorsportdealers.com/parts/partImages/HOM/2/134043/ILLUST/F1340/4316.Gif

You may have some trouble with one of those supper small batteries........the 550's do not have the best charging systems.

Choke cable is typical...flood it with a good penetrating oil and it may come loose..

If you are staying stock there is a guy out west who has nice seat covers his name on E-bay is gumtwo ...but you can buy the cover without supporting the greedy people at E-bay

The right side cover .........$25 go and grab it now.............they can be hard to find if the tabs are intact

Where is near Toronto .....I'm about 45 min East

I'm west. I live in kitchener. I took off the choke cable and played with it a bit. And after taking your advice it works like a charm! now I'm off to the doctors but mee photos coming in a few hours!

Ps you guys ROCK!

Hey thats a nice bike. I'm also working on my first bike ever! I say chop it up and make a sweet cafe.. but thats just me.

ah 78, that was a fine year for wine and bikes...lol
my 2 cents........rock the bike stock for the season, maybe do some small mods till winter.
if you need some parts stock parts, i.e. side cover pm me i am 10 mins away from the Peace bridge, your probably 45 mins out. other than that nice bike, and good choice i am happy with my 78 cb550. hey maybe the leafs and sabres will both make it deep into the playoffs next year? ::) here is my tread. later dude!
http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=11009.70

Cool ride bro. I'm over in Guelph, not to far from you at all.

Get it up for riding this year then attack it over the winter and turn it into a mean alley cat

I finally got at the bike today, not much getting at, just took the tank and seat off. Did not have to much time but here are a few pics

Spokes and shocks need work
Picture027-1.jpg

Picture042-1.jpg

Picture038.jpg

Picture043.jpg

Now that I am fully employed again, once the money starts coming in youll see some PRIME changes :p

Just a quick question for all the gurus here. What things will they be lookin At for the safety? It costs 50 to do it and I would like to see and double check the areas they will be checking before I pay the 50. Also, any advice for this...

My dads trying to take over the build and make it a full resto rather then my cafe idea. I would like his help as he knows tons and has had a few dozen bikes in his time but well... How do I kindly say " eff off it's my bike , get your own " lol .... :D

The safety inspection depends on where you live. Check the local DMV / DOT website for the specifics.

And +1 to tell him to get his own bike! I'm still trying to get mine his own bike.

Alright. A bit of a question for you guys. I am removing the wheels and with the build now having a name and direction. The build is now named operation Faust. My general idea is to go as much black as possible.

Saving you guys from reading my babble ... Here are my questions.
1. Can I sandblast the wheel rim and spokes and paint or powdercoat them black ?
2. Can I replace the rim with a new aluminum spoke free one? A 5 star maybe.
3. For the airhose tube. Does any tube work ? Provided it is the same size ?
4. The best process of stripping down old paint and repainting the new( used) gas tank.

Anywho soo much for now and I'll keep y'all updated.

1) Yes, but you have to make sure to really do a number on the chrome. Paint doesn't stick to smooth chrome
2) I dunno, but I'm sure it's possible (wait for somebody else to chime in)
3) Any hose will do, or even a little breather filter
4) Do you know if there's any Bondo on the tank? Aircraft Remover works really good on paint + it won't hurt aluminum. It will probably need a couple applications but if there's any body filler it turns it to a jelly-ish substance.

Here's a brief update. Ive been doing 12h night shifts for almost two weeks now and no work has been done but a lot of planning and looking for other parts .

http://flyingfaster.com/8772/buy-custom-black-led-integrated-taillight-brake-light-turn-signals-license-plate-light-fender-eliminator-plate-tag-holder-for-harley-honda-yamaha-suzuki-kawasaki-custom-bike-cruiser-choppers-s/

I found this item and for about 40-50$ I think it would be a great way to declutter my rear section. Have any of you used this item or had experience with these types of led set ups. Are the signals clear and indicate well which way I am turning?

Second I saw a bike online and I think even here it's also a cb550 but painted red white and blue. Clip on bars , bar end mirrors facing down. I'll post a picture soon. I want to know if the owner is on here as i have some questions about that bike.

Also the new tank has no bondo or fillers. Overall a clean good tank that I plan on stripping and painting. Which brings me to the next question

any good body/ paint shops around kitchener or toronto? I'd like an alternative to maacco. I do have an air compressor and paint guns so how hard would it be to attempt myself ? I have done body work and painting on cars but never motorcycle gear.

Also, hey saber u offered me side covers ? I'll pm you on the details of this offer that i cannot refuse ....

Thanks again for all the help and now that I'm about to get a very large chunk of money and some free time I'll get right into it :)

Thats it, dive right in. I understand the 12h nights, just got off a 6 month rotation. As far as the all in one light they're a pretty common mod so I'm sure someone who has done one will chime in with something positive. I'm looking forward to seeing you roll ahead on this guy. How long you on the deep nights?

Eff man. Were supposed to switchb next week but the workers voted no to the company offer of going to 8h shifts.... Damn union lol

yea i also saw a pair of koni rear shocks on eBay for 50$

How is the part comparison to other bikes / years of the CB series ? Like can i use a rim from a 75 cb550 or other parts ?

Well off to sleep now

Whew - 12 hours steady midnight..... I feel your pain bro. But I'm on 4, off 4 so that makes a huge difference.

As far as the back wheel (and other parts) - if you find your part on www.bikebandit.com you can do a search on their site for the part #. After clicking "search", there will be a button that says "fits machines". That will give you an idea of what is a direct swap.

welcome to the site. First the bike is in nice shape needs a good cleaning. get some steel wool and go over the chrome. Then make your decision on the black. You can go overboard with the black real quick especially if you have the bike apart. You should be able to swap out your wheels for some mags I'm sure ther are some that will swap out. How much mechanical experience do you have? Are you able to rebuild and fab things? That will tell how deep to go into this project. Your wheels can be painted or powdercoated. They need to have the chrome removed. If it were me though I would clean them up with steel wool repaint the tank and side covers and rock it for the summer. Then come back this winter then tell us what you want to do to this bike. Oh and yes if the hose you are refering to is the one pictured then yeah any kind of black rubber hose the right size will do.

Back
Top Bottom