GS1100g Cafe Racer - Project Romesy

I been watchin... was glad to see the original mounts were just templates, the aluminum ones look much better and solid! Don't keep us in the dark!

I'm looking for updates too! Gotta keep an eye on the shafties.

EDIT: Wait, that looked worse when I read it back to myself. I meant that I like to pay attention to the builds of fellow shaft driven GS owners.

IndieSol said:
EDIT: Wait, that looked worse when I read it back to myself. I meant that I like to pay attention to the builds of fellow shaft driven GS owners.

SUUUUUUUUUUUURRRREEEE you meant that...................... ::) ;D

I'm enjoying your build. It may be out there for my first post...but I look at your pic
Motorcycle%20Stuff
Motorcycle%20Stuff

and I see this...
Motorcycle%20Stuff

awesome job so far...inspirational.

Attachments

• oohsam-gs1100modded.JPG
    oohsam-gs1100modded.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 225
Gday all.
I've been pretty quiet on here since my last post. Basically just thought that no - one was really interested in my build, but a few queries here and there has recharged my ego and here I am again.
I've been working on the bike, not getting the progress I would like but I have been pretty busy with day to day life lately. I've popped out to the garage to solve issues and here is my progress so far.

Bracket made to mount my dash - Just some pipe I used for some bracing and welded together. Its pretty spot on needs some cleaning up and re adjustment to make it look nice, but fitted it onto the bike to get it all fabbed up:

122.JPG

123.JPG

124.JPG

Dash mounted :

131.JPG

I had an issue with my frame, as its not parallell to the ground. could not get my new cafe seat on there...had to get it parallell. Also needed to raise the seat a little as it was too low. This is my first time ever welding so please ignore my sloppy weld jobs...I practiced heaps but I just cant seem to get the right technique to get a nice bead. I'm going to enroll in some welding classes as I'm really bad.
Top side is that the seat sits perfect now and is all very well supported...

125.JPG

126.JPG

129.JPG

By building that, I was able to fab up some sheet metal for a spot to mount my electrics. Still a work in progress, just finished mounting everything bout 1 hour ago so its still in its early stages.

127.JPG

128.JPG

installed some dynateks....

134.JPG

Sleek indicator/horn switch..

130.JPG

GSXR brake switch (im doing a full brake upgrade on this bike....pics coming soon)

132.JPG

and have finaly completed my wiring loom. It was a bare bones loom before , just enough to get the bike running/kill switch etc. Now its got the dash and all accessories hooked up. Just have to finish off the rear indicators and brake light wiring and shorten any long cables and work out a clean run path along the bike.
I wanted to cover the loom in some of that black braided cloth but cant find it anywhere. if anyone knows a place please let me know.

133.JPG

Another thing, I been waiting on alot of parts here and there, here is my parts inventory as of now waiting to go on the bike

New petcock -

137.JPG

Stainless stell hex head bolts for the entire engine (just makes sense to do this)

136.JPG

New rear shocks/springs....

135.JPG

So after these brakes arrive (this week) i'll have em mounted, hoping to finalise the entire wiring in the next 2 days so it looks nice and neat, and fabbing up some more metal to seal off the electrical box, but pretty happy with it so far. Need to mount the headlight, mount and fit the new gear lever I got...Will keep the thread alive!

Peace.
Sam

So by fitting R6 rear sets on the GS, I had a not so unique problem, where my gear lever was waaaaay to far. I flipped it over and it was reachable, but then realised that I'd converted it to GP style shifting...Not something I want.

I purchased this gear lever off ebay for next to nothing. Not sure what its off, possibly a yamaha.

142.JPG

The bit that goes onto the gear sprocket, is a different pattern to mine. I didnt want to mess up the cog pattern by forcing it on, So i decided to cut my gear lever, Drill, and with a tap and die set, I could thread it as the same size to fit the orginal bolt that the yamaha one did...

144.JPG

Done!

145.JPG

Need it mounted a good distance from my foot. Took some measurements off my R6 to see how far it is...This just happend to be the perfect place to drill into the rearset...

148.JPG

Mounted with a temporary bolt, as I need to go to bunnings and get the right sized bolt. But this seemed to work well. Felt real comfortable too.

Just need to do a little cleaning up with it and its done. I'm also thinking of making a new bracket for this rearset. I am really not that happy with it. Its too...cumbersome. Might make a reverse L type bracket going from the top down and across, instead of straight across...

139.JPG

141.JPG

Thought I'd better stop dicking around with bolt ons and what not....Time to get the engine painted, frame blasted and painted and build this puppy good and proper...
Was a bit of a biatch. Forgot to drain the gearbox oil...Hope its not an issue while the engine was on its side.... :0

151.JPG
150.JPG

152.JPG
153.JPG

engine stand done.
Very sturdy. Was a pain in the @ss to make, but its done. And now I can manouver my engine around easily.

154.JPG

155.JPG

157.JPG

158.JPG

Its update time. I've really stepped it up a notch now. Am very keen to get this build finished.
So I sandblasted the engine. Plugged up the holes, and went for it. Got about 95% of the paint off. If I had my time over again, I would NOT ever sandblast an engine. There is way too much cleanup to prep for paint.
I spent 3 days cleaning the engine to make sure it was tidy enough to paint, and even then it was not 100% grime free, about 95% but thats good enough for me.

Anyway. So the guy at supercheap auto told me the paint I bought (3M engine paint Heatproof) was gloss black. I asked him a few times ensuring I did not want matt black. He said "yes yes its gloss, see the cap, its glossy, that means its gloss." Turns it out was not gloss.
...lol.
But I actually quite liked it. Its not matte, but not gloss, something in between...hard to explain.

Looks unreal....Very happy with it. Lets just hope no sand/grime got into the engine! :/
Time will tell..ha!

Here's a sneak peek of the engine...Since this photo all the metal covers are off, and are getting polished. so hold ya horses, i'lll put up a pic when its done.
(old sparkplugs make excellent plugs for sparkplug holes!)

159.jpg

Also. I got my act together and got rid of those dodgy R6 rearsets and brackets. I was really really really not happy with the way they looked, and was just being damn right lazy.
Since I began this project, I have learnt a heck of alot about my tools and my ability to use them tools....I always shy away from doing this 'properly' because I think I'm not skilled enough, or I could never get a precise enough result as I'm no proffensial.
But now I think I can get a near proffessional result, it just takes alot longer for me than it would someone with greater skills...

So I went to the metal shop today and bought some 3mm flat metal sheet...I also bought myself some GSXR 08 rearsets from ebay (thank you US exchange rate). And made some brackets.
I ended up cutting off the old brackets and fit these puppies.

My welding is still at novice status, but I am much much better than when I started. I always find that I have to grind back some of my welds as my beads flow well then my gun splatters. and i get a little blob...then I have to continue my bead from there.....Its happening less and less as I am able to control the smooth motion but not there yet.
The welds are damn strong and have good bond so I'm happy with that...Looks pretty good if you ask me.
Just needs to be sanded down a little, a bit of cleaning with the dremel, and we're ready to roll.

160.jpg

161.jpg

162.jpg

163.jpg

Ok, so the bike is all broken down now and ready to send off to the powder coaters (might drop it off tomorrow)
After much thought and research, I did decide to go for powdercoat. It just seems right in my head.

In Australia, it is a legal requirement to have a rear fender on the bike. I really dont want on there but I'll need it if I want to get the bike registered. Then I can remove it later ;)

Since I cut the frame, there was nowhere for the rear fender to mount to, so I welded some tabs on the back of the frame about 10 mins ago. Came out good.

I also closed the sides of the electrics box which the cafe racer seat will cover...
I cut off all the tabs I didnt need. Including the where the old brake pedal and master cylinder went, and the mounts for it, the mounts for the airbox, and all the cable holder things. Basically just cleaned up the frame. Makes a big difference. I'm really going for that sleek look.

Enough talking. Pic time...

165.JPG

166.JPG

168.JPG

The polished bits..as promised.

169.JPG

172.JPG

You spotted correctly...The PO really banged this up..Not sure what to do..Might just have to use it.

171.JPG

Atleast this one was ok..

173.JPG

Update time.
So while the rims and frame are away, I thought it may be a good time to start putting together the engine...
I'm replacing everything that can/needs to be replaced, just for good measure...My dad always told me, if you're gonna do something, do it properly once. Actually, dad didn't say that. My dad was the biggest bodge I've ever met, captain shortcut is what I call him,he would take the shortest, fastest, cheapest way out of everything....Love the guy though haha!
I learnt the hard way (and expensive way) that doing things on the cheap end up costing more....So I guess that was a self lesson! anyway enough rambling.

Parts on the replace list :
Stator (mine was working fine, but they are prone to blow)
Clutch (not sure if mine was fine, but what the heck - got an EBC clutch kit - will replace tomorrow..)
All new gaskets
Full stainless hex bolts to replace every bolt on engine covers

I think thats it. So today i put together one side of the engine...i did mange to get new emblem covers to replace those damaged ones, didnt realise they came straight off!. They look a trillion times better. It was a pain to clean the old goo from the old ones, but I just boiled them till they were soft then used goo remover with a blade.

This is just a sneak peak of the engine at the moment, till I get the rest of it together.
The stator cover is such a pain to get on without damaging the gasket. I did not use loctite on the bolts yet, so I'll remove one by one and loctite them all (once I am sure I have every bolt in the right spot) as the bolt kit is not labelled, I just had to try and work out what bolt goes where...

enough jabber. pics..
Engine before..
174.JPG

New Stator from RMStator
175.JPG

Full gasket kit thanks to my UK buddies. Cant believe what people are trying to charge for individual gaskets. This kit cost me 50 bux.
177.JPG

This side pretty much done..Emblems look schmick.
178.JPG

I think your project is coming along great there. I don't know how you may feel about it but i think if you were to sand the edges of the fins on the cylinder head it would help tie the engine in all together. Right now to me it looks a little to dark on the top side compared to the lower with all the polished bits.

I did not use loctite on the bolts yet, so I'll remove one by one and loctite them all (once I am sure I have every bolt in the right spot)
Why are you using locktite on the bolts? If you ever want to go back in the covers for clutches chain / sprocket or even another stator I think you'd be in trouble. I did just the opposite and put anti-sieze on mine.

Back
Top Bottom