Alpha Dog Asks a Favor

It sounds awesome and good luck! As a business owner myself, there are a few things that would concern me. I wouldn't allow drinking on the property during business hours, only at special events maybe. It's too big of a liability. I also would do away with the club lounge...maybe keep the kitchen idea with a refrigerator and microwave for member convenience. You have to think about the upkeep of said space and equipment. I would keep the outdoor space...I do like that. Consumables...I would make all members supply their own consumables or have an inventory at the shop that could be sold to members if they needed something. I couldn't imagine trying to keep track of what was used or not used.

Those were the few things that stood out to me. I'm not trying to be a fun hater, but trying to be realistic about it. You want to create a safe and professional space where like minded people come to work, learn and share their knowledge on motorcycles...but its also a BUSINESS. It has to sustain itself and turn a profit for its investors/owners. I think you need to start out with the basics...get the space secured with said tools/equipment. Get membership where it needs to be to sustain the business. As the business grows, you can justify all the other things you envision it being. Don't bite off more than you can chew type a thing...

I hope it does work out for you. I would love to have something like this available to me. Once again, good luck!

+1 on the consumables sell them to the user or have them bring their own,specify that the tools are returned to the cabinet WITHOUT any discs or wheels etc. this may help prevent someone starting up a grinder with a disc that had been dropped cracked
bench grinders should be checked often and dressed often with a diamond dresser
full face shields a definite strict rule
people will get hurt with power tools and eventually you will get sued,sad but true :'(

I have weighed in on this before but talk to Michael at http://www.philadelphiawoodworks.com/ he does the same thing with woodwork.

I like the idea. I agree with selling consumables at a reasonable rate, you WILL lose money on the otherwise because "oh i only used it for a second they won't mind " adds up pretty quickly.

I think the biggest thing is find a really, really good lawyer to write your waver that everyone that steps in the door signs (at michaels shop in philly you walk into the shop and theres nothing but some nice pieces of wood and a desk where you sign the waiver, THEN you can go into the shop).

You will have to talk to your lawyer about alcohol I don't know how those laws work, but it seems to me that regardless of the waiver if you give tools to someone drinking it could come back to you.

i can just see some hipster trying to wire wheel the crome offa perfectly good usable part wilst thumb did-a-ling his eyefone ;D ;D

SONIC. said:
I have weighed in on this before but talk to Michael at http://www.philadelphiawoodworks.com/ he does the same thing with woodwork.

Yes, you did mention this before, and I intend to approach him and hire him for an hour or two as a consultant to advise me.

Done. My thought was that it might not work in anything but an urban type area where space is limited. In my mind people with the money to pay a membership but have no space would be in cities. People in rural or suburban areas will more likely have at least some space to work but not the money to buy a membership. If they have the money for a membership then they more likely have some workspace. Hope that makes sense.

Re: Re: Alpha Dog Asks a Favor

AlphaDogChoppers said:
Having space is not the same as having a fully equipped shop. THAT takes money!

Thats true I guess im just a tight ass and if I had the space the cost of a membership would add up to a lot of tools in a hurry lol

Everyone is pointing you in the direction of rent a space bike shop/ co-ops, but how about looking toward the automotive sector. There have been plenty of rent a bay car shops, but they never seem to last. We had an awesome one locally. It had two bays with hoists, fully stocked tool sign out, paint booth and drying bay. The price per hour was very reasonable and was located in a cheaper real estate part of town. Only lasted maybe 2 years. Maybe. And I've seen others come and go here and other cities I've lived.
Everyone always says always say yeah, yeah, yeah til the time it comes to pony up. Not enough people put their money where their mouth is. Also, new things are always exciting, when they are new!! Most people will tell you what you want to hear, not what you need to hear.
At the end of the day, it's a risk. It either goes good or it goes bad. Only one way to find out. Either way you go, you will be happy or regretful.
I also agree that a more metropolitan area or close to would do better than a rural or suburban area

reds said:
Everyone is pointing you in the direction of rent a space bike shop/ co-ops, but how about looking toward the automotive sector. There have been plenty of rent a bay car shops, but they never seem to last. We had an awesome one locally. It had two bays with hoists, fully stocked tool sign out, paint booth and drying bay. The price per hour was very reasonable and was located in a cheaper real estate part of town. Only lasted maybe 2 years. Maybe. And I've seen others come and go here and other cities I've lived.
Everyone always says always say yeah, yeah, yeah til the time it comes to pony up. Not enough people put their money where their mouth is. Also, new things are always exciting, when they are new!! Most people will tell you what you want to hear, not what you need to hear.
At the end of the day, it's a risk. It either goes good or it goes bad. Only one way to find out. Either way you go, you will be happy or regretful.
I also agree that a more metropolitan area or close to would do better than a rural or suburban area

This is a good point.
The only issue I have with it is that cars and bikes attract a different demographic.
Younger people are getting into these old bikes because times are tough, and you can still build/own/maintain a cool bike with a shoestring budget. You can't "build" a car on a budget (yeah yeah yeah you can, but not in a reasonable timeframe)

Myself included here. I got into bikes about 4 years ago because I was broke, and needed a cool project to keep me sane. Others are similar (except that they are broke and want to look cool ;D)

This however poses its own set of problems, mainly money.
For 250 a month (the lowest level I would personally consider) that's a lot of tools, in 6 months you could have a nice setup, but the space is the issue.

I really like the idea, and I think your clients will be "hipsters" and I don't (for once) mean that in a bad way.

My shop started out with me wrenching on bikes with a socket set and some screwdrivers. 4 years later we've got tig/mig welders, tube bender, english wheel, powder coating, every hand tool known to man, 3 bike lift tables and a whole lot of beer. 4 of us currently wrenching on several projects at once. I don't charge for the space or the tools because its just me and my buddies, we share tools and expenses and beer. Another buddy is picking up a project bike tonight actually. Ages from 21-27.

If we were in an urban area, we would all consider the hackerspace. I don't think I would rent a spot personally because I'm a cheap ass but I know at least 1 guy would definitely pony up for a spot, and another that before he moved his shit to my shop was renting a storage unit with electricity to wrench in.

My only real critique is hours. No one is going to work on bikes during normal business hours. You need your hackerspace open from 5-midnight every night and until 2am on weekends. That's when people wrench. Anyone who is going to toss you 250 a month to have a spot in the shop has a job. There's no way I would fork over the cash if the only time I could even use the facility was during my working hours.

Good point about the hours. I am too fuckin' old to be up till midnight every night! 8)

A few people have suggested including cars. In fact, the building has four car lifts, and some car work is likely. Still, I have limited car specific expertise and almost nothing in the way of car specific tools.

One guy that may join is a full time auto mechanic. That could change the landscape and what is possible.

SONIC. said:
This is a good point.
The only issue I have with it is that cars and bikes attract a different demographic.
Younger people are getting into these old bikes because times are tough, and you can still build/own/maintain a cool bike with a shoestring budget. You can't "build" a car on a budget (yeah yeah yeah you can, but not in a reasonable timeframe)

This is my point. Cars and bikes are different. Cars are on the road all year in all kinds of weather and generally put on more mileage than bikes creating the need for more repairs. A rent a bay car reair shop would have a bigger pot of people than a niche motorcycle market would. Not every client is there to build a project, mechanical things break and need repair. if you only catered to people building projects, I would be surprised if you had ten clients and that is being generous.

My only real critique is hours. No one is going to work on bikes during normal business hours. You need your hackerspace open from 5-midnight every night and until 2am on weekends. That's when people wrench. Anyone who is going to toss you 250 a month to have a spot in the shop has a job. There's no way I would fork over the cash if the only time I could even use the facility was during my working hours.

Yup! The rent a bay place that lasted longest was open til 12or1am-ish 7 days a week. Maybe it's not economic reasons they close! You will have to constantly work hard to keep a fresh constant clientele going. Will you be running an anchor business (motorcycle repair and parts sales) to help pay the bills if the co-op doesn't?

Back
Top Bottom