Paging BC

Hoofhearted

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
I spotted this on another forum and knowing your illustriously dubious past I was wondering if you had a finger in this pie?

Well hell yes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought it [ 1972 ? ] less engine after the run pictured [ sorry about poor quality ] where it threw a rod at the 1/8th - and still ran a 8.99 !

I rebuilt it with a blown Daimler hemi. No pix available I'm afraid - you know why !

Main claim to fame was driving it off our trading estate [ Americar ] to the post office at the end of the road, dropping our post in and driving it back ! Just as it started to brew up as I got back.

Its a Bond Bug body. Bond made three wheel cars. BC's altered Bug was probably the best effort made with one of them.

Hoofhearted said:
Its a Bond Bug body. Bond made three wheel cars. BC's altered Bug was probably the best effort made with one of them.

Very cool, looks like it would definitely keep your attention during a pass.

rays650cafe said:
Very cool, looks like it would definitely keep your attention during a pass.

That short assed wheel base would definitely keep your attention!! My sidecar is longer.

Hoofhearted said:
That short assed wheel base would definitely keep your attention!! My sidecar is longer.

I was always an admirer of Wild Willy Borsch [ ANY altered's come to that ! ]. For years I had a Tee shirt with Willy in typical top end charge mode - one hand on the roll cage, car ever so slightly sideways [ well a lot actually ] and inevitably one of more of the slicks lighting up and on opposite lock !

9 times out of 10 the Bug would keep straight and true, on that odd 1 run, a change of underwear was in order ! Great fun.

I sold it on to a husband and wife Drag Team, who had big plans to re-fit a blown Chrysler Hemi to replace my Daimler Hemi !! Then it sank without trace.

That's too bad. Its amazing how all these wonderful creations tend to vanish without a trace after their usefulness is over. Be cool to find it and bring it back to life. But that's another project for the back burner.

For all you kids out there, what Manfred is talking about, re: Daimler "Hemi" is a neat little European V-8 from the '70's - correct me if I'm wrong, Beach - about 3.0 liters, full on hemi design, looked like a 394 that someone got drycleaned and it shrunk, right?
I would see them occasionally in the English car mags some of my Brit twit friends would get sent over.
I thought it would be neat to get one and put it in front of a Guzzi or BMW gearbox, what a cool bike, but like way too many "neat ideas", never got done.
Never saw one over here in the colonies (Canada) and shipping one from Blighty woulda been mighty expensive.
As for the Bond minicar, if you're not familiar with it, go onto one of the Public Broadcasting Networks and see if there is a "Mr. Bean" episode playing - usually you'd see a Bond tipped over sometime during the program. The Bond minicar is the corollary to the saying, "give an Englishman a piece of metal and he'll do something funny with it" - only, it's, "give an Englishman a bucket of resin and he'll do something even funnier with it.".
Thanks for the memories,
Pat

Hey Pat,

nearly there - the "baby" Hemi was 2.5ltr and the bigger brother 4.2ltr.

The original 2.5 was designed by Edward Turner - yes THE Edward Turner ! And if you look inside the engine you'll see 650 Bonnie influenced parts all over the place - con rods, pistons, rockers ........
In fact the 2.5 was virtually 4 x Bonnies. They were fitted to Daimler badged Jags and of course the Daimler Dart [ "Crispy Daimler Dart" tale.

Mine was the 4.2 with modified Tecalamit Jackson fuel injection - couldn't afford to have a blower manifold made at the time

Ahhhhh ............ the Bond Bug

Back
Top Bottom