92 Suzuki GS500E Project "Lite Tourer" Restore To Running Condition-10-24-12

ben2go

Two Wheel Projectile
I am posting this a little early but what the heck.I have a 1992 Suzuki GS500E I am restoring to running condition.This isn't going to be a top self resto.The bike is in pretty good shape except the front end.The bike hit a curb, if my info is correct.I am restoring to a safe running condition as cheaply as possible.The bike will be sold after my cross country trip to California to visit some friends.The bike only has 1865.5 miles on it.I verified these numbers.This build will progress into two other builds starting next year.The first build I am recording here and it's starts with my red 92 GS500E.The replacement parts are coming from another wrecked purple 93 GS500E.My purple bike will be used as a mock up for my 90 GS500E Tite Trike project,after donating it parts to the red resto bike.Confused yet.Good.After the purple bike is done with mock up for the Tite Trike project,the sub frame and tail will be replaced.It was bent in a wreck.I don't have the details but the bike runs good.

I'll introduce the projects and then ask a few questions.

Here is the resto to running bike,a red 92 GS500E.I put the seats into a safe place.
teaserpics3.jpg

My purple 93 GS500E will donate it's organs to the red bike and be used for mock up for my Tite Trike project.
teaserpics4.jpg

If you look closely,you will see the rear frame of my 90 GS500E Tite Trike project.Notice there's some mystery auto part sitting between the rear frame rails.
teaserpics2.jpg

I have an affliction for Suzuki,more precisely the GS500 line up.I will be back later with more info on my trip and a few questions that are haunting me.Did I mention that I may build a travel trailer for the red resto bike to pull on my trip?

Re: Suzuki GS500E Restore To Running For Cross Country Trip***PICS***

A few pics to keep the thread going.I will be robbing the regulator rectifier for my black bike.That build thread is in my sig below.
purplebike.jpg

This bike has a bent rear sub frame and I don't have tail plastics.If I can get a title for it,I will replace the sub frame and tail with something outlandish.For now it is given up it's front end and a few other parts to get the red bike running for my trip.

Center stand sunk up in the wet ground.
purplebike7.jpg

Here's a good shot of the bent rear sub frame.
purplebike61.jpg

purplebike8.jpg

purplebike4.jpg

purplebike61.jpg

This is the only issue with the engine.It ran two years ago.I hope the rings haven't rusted to the cylinder walls.I haven't tried to turn it over yet.I robbed the starter for my black bike.
purplebike5.jpg

She's in for disassembly.
purplebikedisassembly.jpg

First thing I need is her front end.So she gets blocked up and everything is soaked in penetrating oil.Crappy WD-40.I need to pick up a can on PB Blaster.
purplebikedisassembly5.jpg

Everyone is in for the night,except red.
purplebikedisassembly4.jpg

Red is still in the car port waiting to be moved into the building next door,where the resto to running will begin.
0905091601b.jpg

Got the front end stripped today.One of the bar end screws was broke off in the handle bars,so those went to the scrap pile.Sad too.They were in good condition other wise.Once I disassembled the front end,I found a slightly bent fork tube,bent axle bolt,warped wheel,and warped brake rotor.Front end wasn't as good as I thought.A friend can take the slight bow out of the fork tube on his press.I have two spare brake rotors I know are good.A wheel shop a couple counties over, only charges $60 to straighten motorcycle wheels.They have done a lot of GS500 wheels.I may have to locate an axle bolt.Not sure if the red bike's axle bolt is good since it took a hit to the front wheel that knocked a chunk out of it.Anyway,here's a few disassembly pics.

100_0930.jpg

100_0931.jpg

Talk to a forum friend on a different forum.He is building a 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R into a gravel runner.When he converts his front end over to a YZ400,he's going to let me know what's left of the Ninja front end.So I think I got the front end parts sorted out.That leaves me with a bent wheel to sort out,correct size brake rotors,proper wheel bearings,and spacers.

Re: 92 Suzuki GS500E Project "Lite Tourer" Restore To Running Condition

I am still holding out for that 08 Kawasaki Ninja EX650R front end.I think I will use it on the "Tite Trike" project.It needs a bigger front end with dual disc.Since the purple bike's forks had a slight curve to them,I am going to send them out to be straightened.I am also going to send the red bike's forks out too.I found a place that will straighten the fork stanchions(chrome tube) for $25 a pop.So $100 + shipping there and back.I could buy one used fork for a $100.GS forks seem to be made of gold.I believe I should pay to play, but I'm not bending over and taking it.So this place will be getting my business. http://www.snowcrest.net/gte/japan.html They do other bike forks and frames.Can anyone recommend a good wheel straighten shop?It appears that the one I used to send my work to has either closed or moved.Either way,I can't find one locally.The ones I have googled all want $120 to straighten a wheel.It wouldn't take 10 minutes to take the warp out of mine and I don't think it's worth $120.It's barely worth a favor.I'll keep looking for a cheap wheel in the mean time.

Today I got onto old red, or as I affectionately call it, project "Lite Tourer".I had to do a little work to get it to move.After that,I grabbed some pics for your viewing pleasure.When it gets colder,I will move "Lite Tourer" over to my smaller fully enclosed, and heated building.

If my info is correct,this bike hopped a curb and fell over on it's right side.Maybe it was feeling froggy.It only has 1865 miles on it.I forgot the speedo shot for proof.Maybe tomorrow if it isn't raining to hard.
100_1047.jpg

100_1048.jpg

100_1049.jpg

100_1050.jpg

The side cover was cracked,and replaced, but no other damage was done to the engine that I have found.It ran when I got it.
100_1051.jpg

Nice chunk.Wheel is still straight.Not shown is the caliper I removed, so the bike would roll.It will be rebuilt and reused.
100_1052.jpg

The right fork is the worst.I may need another slider.The rotor made contact enough to rub a groove in it.I hate those signals, so some cheap Buell knock offs will go back on.They are cheaper,shorter, and brighter.
100_1053.jpg

The left fork isn't much better.
100_1054.jpg

I'm not sure how this happened but I believe I can fix it.If not,I have another complete swing arm and adjusters.Chain is gone.I have new ones.I had to realign the wheel somewhat,so it would roll.
100_1055.jpg

Awaiting tear down.I found some frame rust,so I may have to repaint the frame.As soon as I get a front end on it,I have to get it inspected and titled.My paper work came through.Thanks Diesel450.
100_1056.jpg

Who says you can't put a ton of shit in a half ton bag.I had to go out side and take pics through the windows.
100_1061.jpg

100_1060.jpg

That's where I am at.If nothing happens, and the weather clears up,I will be stripping the front end off the bike.I hope to get both sets of forks tore down.Those on the red bike are iffy.I'm not sure my tool can make it past the bends to the dampeners.I may have to attempt some slight tweaking to make them fit.I'll be back with updates in a day or three,I hope.

Made a little more progress today.I got the front end stripped off the red bike.Decided to keep the lead filled steel bar end.Damn screw was rusted in so I had to drill it out.The forks were a bitch to get out of the triple clamps.I'm not sure the forks on the red bike are worth trying to get straightened.Someone hacked the main wiring harness all to hell.I may save this hacked harness to use on the "Street Fighter" project.I will simply swap the wiring harnesses betwen the red and purple bikes.I started a parts list for the red bike.

stator cover gasket
charge rotor
starter gear
starter clutch
spark plugs
reg/rect
signal lights F/R
carb kits
air filter
mater cylinder rebuild kits F/R
caliper rebuild kits F/R
forks
lock set=tank/ignition/seat
wiring harness
gauge bracket
tachometer
odometer reset knob and screw
front wheel
fork brace
head light
indicator(idiot) lights
drive chain
grips
throttle tube
mirrors
fuel tank

I'm sure I will think of more.

Here is the pics from today.

Mileage shot as promised.
11-5-11.jpg

Got the forks out,and clamped the triples,so I could drill out the screw holding the bar end on.
11-5-1111.jpg

Weapon of choice was picked out.
11-5-115.jpg

I went to drilling.
11-5-117.jpg

Popped right off.
11-5-1113.jpg

Here's how I left things for now.
11-5-112.jpg

Completely missed this thread Ben, will come along for the ride :)

welcome to the ummm party. ;D

Thats quite a project you have going on Ben. I'll sign up as well.......

Yep.I got three bikes going, plus repairs to the black bike I ride,so that's four total.All are GS500E based.I'm holding off on starting a thread on the "Tite Trike" project.Some things keep changing with that build.It will still be a GS500E based trike.I'll explain the changes when I do the write up on it.This write up will have the red "Lite Tourer" project.I think I may push back the purple street fighter project so I can get on the trike project.I'm hoping to have the trike project done no later than mid summer 2012.

Sounds like you're gonna have a fun winter and summer! I'm definitely keen to see you combine these pair into something good, then I'm even more keen to see what you have in store for that trike...

I'm just rebuilding the red one into a runner.I am planning on some small upgrades but nothing over the top,just bolt ons.I think it'll be a boring build compare to the rest on here.The trike will be a different story.

ben2go said:
I'm just rebuilding the red one into a runner.I am planning on some small upgrades but nothing over the top,just bolt ons.I think it'll be a boring build compare to the rest on here.The trike will be a different story.

No build is boring if it's exactly what you want it to be ;)

I changed over the wiring harnesses today.Fairly simple job.I only had to remove a few zip ties and the right rear set.The right rear set needed to be replaced anyway so I swap them over.While I was swapping wiring harnesses, I discovered that the purple bikes frame is useless without some major work.I though the frame was straight and solid until I went to remove the wiring harness.

On with the pics.They make more sense.LOL

The wiring harness is roughly five and a half feet long stretched out.This is the butcher harness.I got carried away and get a pic of the good one.It's gotta come back out for paint anyway.
11-6-112.jpg

Looks like someone tried to lengthen the harness.Why, I don't know.It ends in the headlight bucket.They did a shitty job and used wire nuts for the splices.Someone had absolutely no clue.
11-6-1113.jpg

Good thing about the GS wiring,it's hard to screw up.Just match plug colors or wire colors for the bullet connectors.Every plug is shaped different so color really doesn't mater.
11-6-113.jpg

One of the clips is broke on the fuse cover wiring.No problem.I'll change over the connectors next time I work on the bikes.
11-6-11.jpg

Good One.
11-6-1112.jpg

Good harness laid out.
11-6-115.jpg

Good harness installed.Barely disturbed the dirt and gunk.
11-6-117.jpg

11-6-1111.jpg

I had to remove the right rearset to get to the rear brake light switch.While I was there,I swapped out the bad one for a good one.
11-6-1114.jpg

11-6-1110.jpg

11-6-118.jpg

In the process of removing the good harness from the purple bike,I noticed the frame was pushed against the airbox and the wiring harness was spit out the top.I got lucky on this,but the frame isn't safe and it's not worth it to repair.I may cut out the head tube, so I can get a title, and then build a chopper or something.
11-6-116.jpg

It's hard to see but the weld is puckered and split.I couldn't get a good angle for a decent pic.
11-6-119.jpg

I pulled the upper triple clamps.The red bike's upper had an ignition switch screw broke off in it.So the purple bike's upper triple will go on instead.I also removed the seat lock from the purple bike for the red bike.Now I gotta send out the tank,ignition switch,and seat lock to get a set of keys made.Everything came from the purple bike so one key should fit the entire lock set.I was quote $40 to fit and make 3 keys.Way cheaper than an ebay lock set at $120 and up.

I have an 89 GS front end that I have been saving.I may use it on this bike.I complete restored/rebuilt that front end with progressive springs and heavier fork oil.It has the factory clip ons that we only got on the GS for one year,1989,in the US.All other years got standard 7/8 handle bars.I plan to run standard handle bars on this bike because it's for touring not going fast through curves.

I have some appointments coming up regarding my disability,so I may not be able to do any work.I hope the doctor doesn't put me on my ass.I maybe here watching everyone else build.

Everything went ok at the doc's office today.I'll be back on top of things in the next day or two.Hopefully tomorrow.

I didn't get much done today.I had a visit from my local code enforcement officer.Seems the prostitute across the street has called them on me again.Yes,she really is a prostitute.The cops got the wrong house and tried to serve a warrant on her at my house.That's how I found out.She's but ugly, so she can't make enough money for phone service or a car.ROFLMAO!This is the fourth time in three years.Everytime we refuse to give her a ride, or let her use our phone,we get a visit from the code enforcement officer the next week.The first time I got a warning for over grown lawn.My mower was in my shop waiting on a new transaxle.The second time,the same officer and the big boss came out to see what the deal was.When they realized that they had both been fielding calls from the same woman(prostitute across from me),they said they had to follow up on her reports.He also said that it was up to the officer to write a warning,issue a citation,or order a court hearing.They also said that they have a look at surrounding properties also,and they would be paying her a visit.The last two times the officer has come out,that's including today,he walks my property,and signs off on the report as," complied with before initial inspection."Then we shoot the breeze for a few minutes to make it look like something is really going on, to make the old prostitute feel good.Well today I found out there has been a change, and there is a woman code enforcement officer to deal with women the call in all the time making false reports.

Anyway,All I got done today was swapping out those stater relay connectors.Big fun.

It was a pain in the ass but the wire terminals finally came out.
11-8-112.jpg

11-8-118.jpg

11-8-1111.jpg

Make sure to raise the little tabs back up on the terminals.
11-8-116.jpg

Pop'er back together making sure the wires are in the right holes on the connector.
11-8-1114.jpg

Snap it back on.
11-8-117.jpg

And stuff the wiring back in the frame.Can't even tell the wiring harness was replaced or tampered with.
11-8-114.jpg

I'm going to get this bike running as is.Then I'll strip it and freshen it up.I don't plan to do an ace job.I just wanna get it looking better and rideable.If I decide to keep it,I'll do a strip and custom paint job.I may sell it so I can finish up the "Tite Trike" project.

Atta boy. A little progress makes a big difference in the long run.

Just a quickie update.I worked on my black GS today.I am waiting for forks,front wheel,and axle bolt so I can trailer the bike down to the DMV to get a title.I won't reg and insure until I am closer to a test drive.As soon as I get my paper work cleared away,I'll start tear down,prep,and paint.Not sure if I wanna keep it silver with red body work,or black with red body work.I'll change some things around between bikes and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom