Project CB350F cafe brat

You might try your friendly Chinese tool dealer (Harbor Freight in the US) for vibrator media. HF carries a pyramid-shaped media that really chews at rust and because of the points on it gets into crevices well. Affordable, too. I tried it on small parts in my daughter's toy rock tumbler and was impressed.

From the pic the lower parts of the fork legs seem to be in good shape so you’re right, definitely usable. Build is looking good!

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Did you paint the headers before wrapping them?

They can rot out under the wrap pretty quickly. As it traps condensation and moisture.

I used VHT fireproof paint on mine, wrapped 6-7 years now, iirc.

trek97 said:

They can rot out under the wrap pretty quickly. As it traps condensation and moisture.

Hey mate. I tried zinc electrolysis plating. I guess time will tell if it rusts. I ran it at 10a for nearly an hour per tube. Zinc is excellent for rust protection and is what is put on steel before chrome is added for mechanical protection and looks. I just hope the zinc stuck to the tube and if so it should be ok. Otherwise I will remove and paint a section on top at a later stage. It’s not that I even mind painting the tarnished area, it’s more me testing a new method. Soon I’m going to get some nickel to test as well which polishes up very well unlike zinc which is the dull look of carbies. Hey thanks for the input and you may be right, I may end up painting it in the end, we will see

trek97 said:

Oh shit, I totally misread what you were saying. The headers! Yeah I did mate. I used high temp black on the rusted sections which I cleaned up. The chrome should be ok I guess?

pidjones said:
You might try your friendly Chinese tool dealer (Harbor Freight in the US) for vibrator media. HF carries a pyramid-shaped media that really chews at rust and because of the points on it gets into crevices well. Affordable, too. I tried it on small parts in my daughter's toy rock tumbler and was impressed.
Yeah sweet, that’s what I’m going to do. Cheers mate

stubsryan said:
Oh shit, I totally misread what you were saying. The headers! Yeah I did mate. I used high temp black on the rusted sections which I cleaned up. The chrome should be ok I guess?

8) 8) 8)

stubsryan said:
Yeah sweet, that’s what I’m going to do. Cheers mate

Who supplies that stuff in OZ/ Bunnings or Miter Ten or Supertools or? I used to get resonable stuff at Bunnings and cheap Chinese in Supertune when I visited Melbourne to work on bikes. Who's a good source now?

teazer said:
Who supplies that stuff in OZ/ Bunnings or Miter Ten or Supertools or? I used to get resonable stuff at Bunnings and cheap Chinese in Supertune when I visited Melbourne to work on bikes. Who's a good source now?
Supercheap auto has a few bits and pieces. Bunnings for fixings and paint. Paramount browns in Adelaide has media blasting equipment on the cheap. Past that, motorcycle wreckers and ordering stuff from eBay and AliExpress for affordability and range

Hi all. So it’s cooled down a bit here in Adelaide so I’ve decided to do a bit more with the project. Also sold my xs750 brat so I have a couple spare bucks to put into the project. I’ll probably start off with some tyres so I can get the bike rolling and move on to bolts, torques and electrics

So I’m looking at getting an engine mount bracket because I didn’t get one in the magic box of tricks ages ago. Gay bit is it’s not a good way to spend $60 on what’s meant to be a budget build. I was wondering if anyone had one to suit the CB350F or could get me an accurate measurement from frame to bike centers so I can fabricate one up. Short of that I’ll have a crack at measuring up a piece that will do the job

IMG_0158.JPG

This is what the bracket looks like. I’ll seperate my version into two bits for ease of fabrication and plus I never really liked the factory design of this bit going around the frame. I guess it’s for strength but whatever

Looking good.
But a word of caution, if you haven't already painted them.
The pipe wrap on the headers and leather on the forks will hold condensation. Headers and fork pipes need to be painted to protect them from rusting under the wrap.
Ive seen examples of guys headers rusting through surprisingly quick under pipe wrap.
I painted w VHT fireproof paint on mine and its held up well.

Last edited:
Looking good.
But a word of caution, if you haven't already painted them.
The pipe wrap on the headers and leather on the forks will hold condensation. Headers and fork pipes need to be painted to protect them from rusting under the wrap.
Ive seen examples of guys headers rusting through surprisingly quick under pipe wrap.
I painted w VHT fireproof paint on mine and its held up well.

Cheers mate. The leather on the forks will come off and the forks will get painted where needed. The exhaust was cleaned up and painted with heat rated paint so it shouldn’t rust in a hurry. Should have some photos of it all in position in the next week which I’m pretty stoked about

Hot tip to any new punters looking at doing a basket case bike build. It will take you bloody ages to do everything! Back wheel tube has a puncture so it’s more delays. You should expect to lose money doing a few odd things here or there

Hot tip to any new punters looking at doing a basket case bike build. It will take you bloody ages to do everything! Back wheel tube has a puncture so it’s more delays. You should expect to lose money doing a few odd things here or there

Totally agreed...........

IMG_0630.JPG

Rough photo with the back wheel
In place. Got an issue I think, looks like the axle might not be long enough. Trying to work that out at the moment. It’s either that or I’ve got my spacings all wrong. What was I saying earlier?! Everything takes time and effort haha

Back
Top Bottom