1977 CB750 cafe racer build

cortezzz said:
SpeedBump, amazing build. Very, very well done. I am just getting into the cafe game after seeing my first one on the back roads in the Adirondack Mountains a few years back. Only recently have I realized the cult following these types of bikes have. I've been browsing DTT for just about a week gathering ideas for my future CB750 build. You've given lots of inspiration to this first time commenter. I hope I can use you as a resource for questions in the months to come as my project gets underway.

Namaste.

No problem

My build CB750 http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=38755

Awesome Bike! I'm about to start a project myself, 1978 Honda 750F. I love what you did with the Oil tank. I am curious as to where you mounted the battery and if you would be able to snap a picture of it?

Thanks!

SpeedBump said:
So I've been working on this bike since January. I use this forum for help but never post so I figured I'd share my build.

I found this bike on Craigslist with 60,000 miles on her running and had a valid inspection. Needed lots of work but that was okay since I was planning to rip it apart.
wo4Y3.jpg

I took some dimension and drew up a rear cowl. Found a fellow on the forum to build it for me
hw9la.jpg

Metalandspeed did a great job and super fast! He sent me daily updates
gXGX3.jpg

kOXkw.jpg

n6tPi.jpg

I purchased a cx500 tank off eBay because I like the shape. Kinda round and has a semi tank dent. I then got out the orbital sander and went to town.
MJqVm.jpg

2hQYR.jpg

I received the tank and laid it out in apt.

rgnfS.jpg

VxMqL.jpg

That weekend I stripped bike a bit and tried out tank and seat.

9LKDw.jpg

tGHWk.jpg

Wife having a seat
3oy18.jpg

ZNuEP.jpg

u1iJm.jpg

At this point it was time to have a friend do some welding for me. I drew up the rear loop filler, oil tank, Electrical box, rear set plates for the CBR rearsets I purchased off ebay. I loaded it into my brothers trooper for a 2.5 hr ride

n9s6k.jpg

Would you be willing to share the first CAD you show here for the rear seat? I really like how it fit originally before elongating it.. flows well.
Much appreciated !!!! my email is mokkaeng@gmail.com

Are you talking about this seat?
atu8yge4.jpg

If so did you want the actual cad model?

Awesome build man.

Im just got a 77 cb750 and this thread is the inspiration i need to get out in the garage and get to work.

Thanks for doing such an great job and taking the time to chronicle all the work you have done. Im sure its going to help me along the way.

Stew

IRN_FST said:
Awesome build man.

Im just got a 77 cb750 and this thread is the inspiration i need to get out in the garage and get to work.

Thanks for doing such an great job and taking the time to chronicle all the work you have done. Im sure its going to help me along the way.

Stew

Thanks, feel free to ask and ill help anyway I can.

Dude.. easily my favorit CB build on DTT.

Pure inspiration...!

Re: 1977 CB750 cafe racer build

SpeedBump said:
dunujure.jpg
the cushion pan has rivet thread inserts from mcmaster.com that are 1/4-20. Once seat pan (cushion base) is mounted to cowling I used 2" long 1/4-20 threaded rod to go through tubes on frame.
a5yrumaq.jpg
that pulls everything down tight.
ejyqe4ev.jpg
9ata7eju.jpg
arude3yn.jpg
emy9a5yj.jpg
drilled through outside to fit thread on turn signal than a larger hole on inside of frame to fit inside of frame. Then grommet holes so it doesn't cut wire

Were your turn signal stems for the rear modified to get through the frame? Just curious as to how you did that.

Once again.. great build

bigtexan449 said:
Were your turn signal stems for the rear modified to get through the frame? Just curious as to how you did that.

Once again.. great build

It bolted through the gusset. Small whole on outside so thread would go through then larger whole on the inside for nut to go through. There was a nut inside of the frame there.

Jeeeez, I'm a bit late to this party - what a fantastic build!!! Damn well done!

As another feller asked up above - is there any chance of scoring one of the CAD files? You have a real talent for this stuff and would greatly appreciate any schematic you might have whipped up for the upswept tail and seat combo if you are willing to share?

If not, no dramas at all, just thought I would ask.

Big fan and will definitely keep reading :D

Great build man, Ive read through it several times... BUT, I just noticed this pic... are those Killer B oil pick ups for subys in the backround?

Attachments

• jX6LM.jpg
    jX6LM.jpg
    666.3 KB · Views: 516

LaynDoor said:
Great build man, Ive read through it several times... BUT, I just noticed this pic... are those Killer B oil pick ups for subys in the backround?

Haha that's a good catch! You a subie guy? The guy who did my welding also welds those pick ups for killer bee

Re: 1977 CB750 cafe racer build

SpeedBump said:
Haha that's a good catch! You a subie guy? The guy who did my welding also welds those pick ups for killer bee

haha, thanks... yea, im in to subies... Im not one of those "all I will ever own is a subaru" guys, but Ive owned a few... I put one of those oil pick ups in my Legacy GT after the turbo blew... its a nice piece!

Back
Top Bottom