Need some Triumph experts!

Tim

Administrator
Staff member
I have an opportunity to pick up a 1970 Bonneville. 20,000 miles, numbers matching.

I'm looking for what details are correct/incorrect. Should it have painted fenders? Are the exhaust collars correct? If I was to buy, it's largely as an investment not because I need another motorcycle in my life.

It's been well cared for for the past 15 years. Hasn't been ridden for 5, but has been maintained.

1-080617100754.jpeg

1-080617100826.jpeg

1-080617101145.jpeg

1-080617101158.jpeg

1-080617101208.jpeg

1-080617101217.jpeg

1-080617101227.jpeg

1-080617101236.jpeg

1-080617101248.jpeg

The exhaust collars are aftermarket probably WEBCO. They were a popular accessory in the late 60s-early 70s. In the USA the fenders were painted the same main color as the tank. That is just about the extent of my Triumph knowledge.

I worry a bit looking at the motor mount bolts up front - longer than I would think from the factory. And the engine side cover has socket cap bolts - doubt those are factory original.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Speedfiend said:
The fenders for a 70 are stainless. The exhaust clamps are cheap aftermarket. Not Webco.

I'm not doubting you as I am certainly not a Triumph expert, but now you have me curious. The only 1970 Bonnevilles I've seen had painted fenders. Could the stainless fenders have been an option or the east coast-west coast variation, or Canadian specific? A friend of mine had a new 70 Bonneville painted the same as Tim's anticipated purchase and it had matching painted fenders. Another friend has a 1970 Bonneville he has owned since new and it also has matching painted fenders.
I'm not trying to start an argument, just looking to increase my knowledge.

I asked and got this response from, https://www.facebook.com/groups/434987606627058/?ref=group_header
Painted fenders in most markets (UK and USA for sure). Stainless fenders are correct for the Canadian market 1970 T120R. Reference "Triumph Motorcycle Restoration Guide: Bonneville and TR6 1956-1983" by David Gaylin. Hope this helps!

Those fuel lines have to go, very dangerous. It looks pretty original, a beautiful bike I'd love to own. Depends on how much you buy it for as a collector, time will eventually force the price up. I paid $1500 for my 1973 Triumph Tiger 20 years ago, value today around $6,000. The market is finicky, it could go through the roof like for a RD350. In that condition, 20 years from now, easy $30k. Then you have to factor what $30k is worth in 20 years.

Compared to a savings account of 1%, a super inflation investment.

It's tough - watched the Mecum auction on TV while I was in Cincinnati this week and T120R's were consistently bringing US$9-$12K in various states of restoration.

This one has some issues I'm wary of. Rust on the rims looks beyond #0000 and WD40. Aftermarket exhaust fins and tappet covers, engine has been out (which might be good given 20K miles it might have needed some bottom end work).

Good to hear the fenders are likely correct for the Canadian market. All the restorations I've seen had painted fenders but they've predominantly been US bikes.

It certainly looks all original save the couple of aftermarket trinkets. I think the bars, even though looking quite high, might be original. Seat looks good etc.

CrabsAndCylinders said:
I asked and got this response from, https://www.facebook.com/groups/434987606627058/?ref=group_header
Painted fenders in most markets (UK and USA for sure). Stainless fenders are correct for the Canadian market 1970 T120R. Reference "Triumph Motorcycle Restoration Guide: Bonneville and TR6 1956-1983" by David Gaylin. Hope this helps!
Precisely. Slight differences for different markets.
Also, the US model 67 Bonnie had SS fenders.

My 4 pennarth - bars , engine bolts and ex. collars all definitely not original. Looks like the engine has been out and odd bits of work done around the bike that is non OEM. ;)

Never seen a factory bike with chrome fenders - but that's the UK / EU market !

Cap heads would not be original either.

Still, wouldn't mind it in my garage ! 8)

Back
Top Bottom