Ebay Score on a Kimtab

o1marc

Over 1,000 Posts
Scored another Kimtab on Ebay for $300. I think it had no traffic because it was listed as only "motorcycle rim" instead of "Kimtab". Lately these have been bringing $500 minimum and lately $650 seems about average. and that is usually for just the bare wheel with no bearing carriers or other hardware. I got the wheel, carriers, rotors and tire for $300. I'm having him take the tire off though to save shipping cost.There's another pair on Ebay right now for $1799 with no hardware and beadlock screw holes drilled in the lip killing it's value.

I coated the wheel and today fit the Triumph axle to it.

Received my Triumph 955 calipers the other day.

Waiting on the lower legs off eBay from Ky. and the rotors from Ca. I hate waiting on shipping, especially this time of year.

Marc, nice score.

Where do you get the wheels crack tested? I have a Morris and Kimtab on a TZ project and need them crack tested before I put them on a bike that will be run. At this stage all I feel comfortable doing is coating them and saying NOT FOR USE AT MORE THAN 5mph or something to that effect.

Here are a few diy crack test kits!!:

3772-2009.JPG

327.jpg

ez-test-cocaine-crack-cocaine.jpg

That last one was funny. Thanks though. Do you know how reliable/accurate they are on magnesium wheels? I have this concern about old magnesium wheels cracking up. After a few years they are supposed to be retired and not used because of cracking internally but I have no personal experience with one breaking up and no desire to get any.

It's all BS like everything else we've learned in school. Show me one documented case of broken magnesium wheels after a few years of use.

Well there was Robert Dunlop but that mag wheel was not old. Magnesium hardens and becomes brittle. Car mags come with a documented life - typically 6 years.

I have no personal experience with a mag wheel failure and maybe I am being overly cautious. For a street bike or cafe racer that is really just a stylish way to get coffee, that's probably not an issue

http://aimss.com.au/aimss-guide-the-safe-use-of-magnesium-castings/

https://books.google.com/books?id=VzhumRoMgRIC&pg=PA84&lpg=PA84&dq=magnesium+wheel+failure&source=bl&ots=3dydUlPW0g&sig=5jQc_cJdFmbPwI3sTgO1cU-Hnnk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjenZTT9OrJAhUJPj4KHcBXA9AQ6AEIVDAK#v=onepage&q=magnesium%20wheel%20failure&f=false

You are right about the amount of interesting posts all over the internet and very few documented failures.

There's plenty of metallurgical data on corrosion fatigue in magnesium alloys. The catch is that there are no consistent alloys used amongst manufacturers. Almost always, magnesium is one material in the matrix and often times aluminum is a major metal in die cast compounds. Magnesium is particularly susceptible to corrosion in the presence of salt, which obviously effects some more than others. The water in green mold sandcasting creates porosity, which is another potential issue with cast mag rims. Additionally, extruded alloys have a significantly longer durability over die cast. The same conversation can be had for polishing ability. There are extreme differences in the alloys, so some things polish better than others.

I understand the logistics in the metallurgy of magnesium as a product. Sure it might become more brittle or weaken over time. But does it do it to the extent everyone seems think testing would be necessary? The lack of documented cases of broken wheels due to this theory makes me think we are worrying about nothing.

o1marc said:
I understand the logistics in the metallurgy of magnesium as a product. Sure it might become more brittle or weaken over time. But does it do it to the extent everyone seems think testing would be necessary? The lack of documented cases of broken wheels due to this theory makes me think we are worrying about nothing.
I don't think they need testing any more than any aluminum wheel. Pointing out the metallurgy is more to illustrate why people think it's an issue. It's also to somewhat illustrate that there are a couple of dozen alloys and 1/10 difference in aluminum is a huge difference corrosion resistance. Add in manganese and you have something significantly harder.

The 4 piston Triumph calipers would not clear the spokes on the wheel so I opted for floating Ninja 1100 calipers.

Back
Top Bottom