Suzuki GS450 - What 18" wheels did you use?

Northish

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning
DTT BOTM WINNER
Working on a 1981 Suzuki GS450L with the end goal being a scrambler/tracker. I'd like to run 18" wheels front and rear while preserving (as much as possible) the current stock brake configurations (disc front, drum rear.) Ideally would like the width to be 2.15 or greater.

What wheels have others used with minimal frustration?

I've seen Kawasaki wheels on GS's but not sure what model and years would be compatible. Anyone been down this path before?

Re: Suzuki GS450 - What 18" wheels did you use?

DOHC has a rear for sale. And he is pretty well versed on the GS series bikes talk to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you wanting spokes or 'mags'? I do have an 18" rear setup for sale. It is disc brake but I have all the components you need to make it work if you decide to go that route. It is in great condition.

Thanks Ply & DOHC

Hoping for the Kawi mag style like what was used on this GS400:
http://www.bratstyle.it/suzuki-gs400-urban-tracker.html
They've fitted trial tires 4.00-18 which I hope to do as well.

DOHC - Is your 18" rear set up along these lines?

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 2,446
If you want that 'Kawi mag look' you're gonna have to buy Kawi mags. Mine is a Suzuki wheel.

As you can see this is not as nice as my wheel but here is another picture of the pattern without the disc in the way. I'm away from the shop at the moment but I can post more pics if you are interested.

Again this is not mine just an example:

s-l400.jpg

Trials tires on a street bike are a bad idea. For pictures only.

18" Kawi front mag will be tough to find.

Also hopefully you realize that the bike you posted as a reference is a total p.o.s.

Thanks Rider52 and Dohc,
I appreciate the guidance as I figure out the wheel/tire setup. It's the biggest hurdle to this build. Also considering dual sport tires; ultimately going the scrambler route will allow me to ride the bike more often.

Dohc - Those wheels are in great shape; though probably a bit narrower width than where I want to take this project. I'd feel bad putting them on a scrambler when someone could use them for their suzuki cafe build.

I did pick up an 18" front KZ wheel measuring 18x2.15. Only trouble is that it's a 4 bolt pattern whereas the GS450 uses a 6 bolt. Couldn't resist the price so got it just in case I am able to find a disc and bearings that will allow things to mesh together.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 506
Northish said:
Thanks Rider52 and Dohc,
I appreciate the guidance as I figure out the wheel/tire setup. It's the biggest hurdle to this build. Also considering dual sport tires; ultimately going the scrambler route will allow me to ride the bike more often.

Dohc - Those wheels are in great shape; though probably a bit narrower width than where I want to take this project. I'd feel bad putting them on a scrambler when someone could use them for their suzuki cafe build.
No problem you are welcome.

Dual sport tires are at least a better mistake than trials tires! Moving in the right direction.

Why do you want wide tires? You are going to run into issues with the handling and the fender mounting.

Surely you will run a front fender, right? The bike pictured above has dirt bike tires and no fender which is plain ass ignorant and looks retarded to anyone that knows anything about motorcycles.

The bike in that pic would be nearly unridable in anything but a clown show.

Oh yes, there will absolutely be fenders all around! And yes, they will require some work to make and mount. The bike will see a lot of gravel time, both wet and dry.

I think the bike in the picture was built purely to tackle the cobble streets of Italy... It is more just guidance for how I'd like to mount the tank and the 18" wheel/tire setup.

I haven't been able to find any other leads on specific 18" Kawasaki style mag wheels that will work with the rear drum/front disc of my GS450L beyond Rider52's suggestion. I'll do some digging on his suggestion.

Couldn't ride that bike 2 feet without the tire hitting the rear fender. Whatever they built it for, it's built completely wrong. The front has been lowered internally to a point where it will bottom out too. The seat doesn't match at all and forces you to sit in the most uncomfortable position possible. Its a complete pile.

Back
Top Bottom