Brake disk spacer

75hondacb400

hi guys,

I have the follow problem that i need advise on,
I have gsxr front end + gsxr brakes, and im using a vfr 400 nc30 front and back wheel,

The front caliper is touching the disk itself, on the inside, so my options are,

either make a bracket to hold the gsxr caliper away from the disk and bolt to the front shock,
or
mill the front brake caliper down 5mm on the part where it bolts to the shock,

which is going to be my best and safest option?

You'd be taking 197 thousandths off of the rotor. How thick is it in that spot?

I had a similar issue, i just drop the disk at the machine shop so they can remove about 1.4mm from where it mounts on the wheel so it does not touch the caliper

im thinking i need to take off about 5mm to get the disk in the middle of the caliper.
dont want to mill the disk and the caliper then they all "weaker"

other option is welding a spacer on the outside of the disk brake and then milling the original holes out, this will move the disk out?

make a mount that bolts to existing caliper mounting holes on the fork, but moves the caliper offset of those holes and 5mm away from the rotor?

or cut 2.5mm off the caliper mounts on the caliper itself as well as the mounting bungs on the forks to gain the 5mm total without taking too much from anything. or have the wheel hub milled 5mm down on both sides and remount rotors.

This is a bit confusing. I'm not sure which way you need to move the disc / caliper.

Lets say you want to move the disc - which way does the disc have to move? Towards the hub or towards the forks?

If it's towards the hub, then you can either mill the hub or find another disc with a shallower offset. These guys have disc measurements:

http://www.metalgear.com.au/

I wouldn't recommend milling the disc carrier. Milling the caliper mounts on the forks may be OK, but it depends on how much / what's left.

If you need to move the disc AWAY from the hub you just need to machine a spacer for behind the disc carrier. Or a spacer for between the caliper mount and fork.

I need a disk that has an offset of less than 17mm. Looking for a gsxr disk now, then I can just machine a spacer,

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I've got an early 00's GSXR rotor, 5 bolt 320mm zero offset if you need it. $50 shipped CONUS. it's a gold center section version, might be from a hayabusa even.

hillsy said:
This is a bit confusing. I'm not sure which way you need to move the disc / caliper.

Lets say you want to move the disc - which way does the disc have to move? Towards the hub or towards the forks?

If it's towards the hub, then you can either mill the hub or find another disc with a shallower offset. These guys have disc measurements:

http://www.metalgear.com.au/

I wouldn't recommend milling the disc carrier. Milling the caliper mounts on the forks may be OK, but it depends on how much / what's left.

If you need to move the disc AWAY from the hub you just need to machine a spacer for behind the disc carrier. Or a spacer for between the caliper mount and fork.

That link was exactly what I was looking for and turned out to be useless. I need a rotor for the Triumph and the Kimtab. If I use only the 3 of 6 most important criteria (for a CB750), they show no rotors. I was hoping for a nice list to choose from for options. I'm trying to get replacement rotors before I weld on the caliper mounts.

o1marc said:
That link was exactly what I was looking for and turned out to be useless. I need a rotor for the Triumph and the Kimtab. If I use only the 3 of 6 most important criteria (for a CB750), they show no rotors. I was hoping for a nice list to choose from for options. I'm trying to get replacement rotors before I weld on the caliper mounts.

There's a few rotors in there if you type in CB750 - but the SOHC front ones appear to be just the actual disc (not including the carrier).

I guess they only have pics of stuff they still stock / sell. Not much of a market for standard sized discs on 40 year old bikes over here anymore....

Anyway, I still don't know what to OP's issue is here - is the disc too close to the fork leg or the wheel hub??

The disk caliper is to close to the hub, and I took the wheel in and they said there is not enough on the hub to take off 5mm.

I'm in south Africa so I think shipping is going to be hectic.

I'm going to the bike scrap yard today.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

OK - now I get it.

What about this??

083013top-i.jpg

o1marc said:
Are you looking for rotors that fit a CB750 hub? And what OD do you need? 300mm? 296mm?

Just to make sure, is the caliper maxed out on it's adjustment? Calipers are self-centering, so there is usually a few mm play to work with. IMO, your best bet is to find a rotor with less offset. What's your rotor's bolt pattern?

hi, im running vfr400 nc30 rims front and back,
the disk i have has an offset of 17mm, so i would need a disk with 12mm off set.
here is the link to the disk http://metalgear.com.au/mgear-brake-disc-front-black-centre-p-11663.html

even punching in just 74mmx6 bolt pattern there's no rotors with less than 17mm offset. I'd go with what was pictured earlier and make a bracket to move the caliper out 5mm

focusinprogress said:
even punching in just 74mmx6 bolt pattern there's no rotors with less than 17mm offset. I'd go with what was pictured earlier and make a bracket to move the caliper out 5mm
Is 74mm x 6 the bolt pattern? Metal Gear does not show nearly close to what's available. Just what they stock. There are rotors with zero offset.

Back
Top Bottom