The Whack Shack (formerly known as The Aviary)

Got a lil bit more done yesterday.
Got the light fixtures mounted. Not quite ready to put the power in, but this got them off the floor and out of the way in the meantime ;)
Before...
photo2_zps5c9dda2f.jpg

After...
photo_zps46b1c858.jpg

I also moved some stuff around to give me more room to work, and finally moved the toolbox out of the house.
photo3_zpsc5533e3f.jpg

Even did a lil decorating.
photo4_zpsfb053d56.jpg

I'm waiting on power to go in before I insulate/finish the interior walls, and then permanent benches and shelving will go in.

Redbird said:
Ha!
The Prius Story is...
I was riding one afternoon, and when i stopped for a redlight, this dipshit in a Prius starts berating me for operating such a polluting vehicle and that I should have it fixed immediately and blah blah blah...
so I lifted the visor and said "Dude, its a Hybrid! It runs on gas AND oil. Thats why it smokes!".
And with this very satisfied look on his face, he says "Cool!", gives me a Thumbs Up, and drives off.
I just sat there shaking my head, mumbling "Moron" ::)

That is fantastic! I love how some of these Prius drivers think they are gods gift to the planet and they are now the authorities on anything that has to do with the environment. That car is all plastic and has a huge battery that will make a ton of wasted after that car is no longer on the road... and last time I checked most bikes get pretty damn good MPG so just because something isn't a "hybrid" doesn't mean it isn't efficient.

Don't forget to hang a few 20amp cord reels from the ceiling ;). Looking good.

Stuff's happnin again...

Hit up Home Depot Saturday afternoon...
IMG_5608_zpse32e462b.jpg

And got busy Sunday afternoon...
IMG_5611_zps8031e7fc.jpg

IMG_5629_zps55602521.jpg

And of course, the Supervisor hard at work...
IMG_5610_zpsbd74e39b.jpg

This is where it sits right now...
IMG_5618_zps6cd7a8d7.jpg

Basically, the panel needs to be hung, switches/receptacles/lights wired in, and then tie it into the house panel ;)

Yea, yea, yea.. I'm pacing myself ;) :p

Got a lil more done...
Light fixtures wired up
IMG_5641_zps80435af1.jpg

Panel installed
IMG_5649_zps2b171ba9.jpg

BIL brought the wrong type main breaker, so wasn't able to light up the shop just yet. Got a couple of receptacles to install, and need to add in another switch.
Should be done by Sunday afternoon.

Nice shop! Hopefully you have a separate grounding electrode for that building. It really is essential for your safety.

Turtle, its grounded through the feeder panel on the house. Don't worry, a pro electrician did the wiring for me ;)

Finished it up yesterday...
IMG_5663_zps20d5162e.jpg

And on the 851st day, the Lord said "Let there be Light!"
And there was light, and it was... about damn time! :p
IMG_5665_zps0cd97e13.jpg

The Supervisor wasn't near as enthusiastic about it as I was...
IMG_5664_zpsa05254f0.jpg

Now I gotta insulate/panel and build my workbenches.

Have your electrician read this excerpt from the NEC and then have him explain to you why a grounding electrode is not required.

250.32 Buildings or Structures Supplied by a Feeder(s) or Branch Circuit(s).
(A) Grounding Electrode.
Building(s) or structure(s) supplied by feeder(s) or branch circuit(s) shall have a grounding electrode or grounding electrode system installed in accordance with Part III of Article 2S0. The grounding electrode conductor(s) shall be connected in accordance with 2S0.32(B)
or (C). Where there is no existing grounding electrode, the grounding electrode(s) required in 2S0.50 shall be installed.
Exception:
A grounding electrode shall not be required where only a single branch circuit, including a multiwire branch circuit, supplies the building
or structure and the branch circuit includes an equipment grounding conductor for grounding the normally non-current-carrying metal
parts of equipment.

Keep safe!

Will do. I'll see him this weekend at my nephews (his son) wrestling match. And if he can't explain it to me sufficiently, I'll bring it to the other two professional electrician brother-in-laws and/or my (retired) professional electrician father-in-law, and see what they have to say. I'll keep ya posted ;)

Phew, busy busy busy...
I got with BIL, all three actually, and they explained that it's a branch circuit subpanel that's 15ft from the grounded house breaker panel, something about it being Bonded, and that you don't drive a new grounding rod every time you install a subpanel, yada yada yada...
I kinda stopped them there when I had the epiphany that, we don't sleep together and I don't have to explain myself to you ;D
I'll hold trust that the three career electricians, that I'm related to, wouldn't put myself or their sister in harms way.
But should I or anyone else get electrocuted due to a negligent install, you can have first "I told ya so!". Mmmkay Pumpkin? ;)

Got a lil more done over the last two weekends...

I'm gonna insulate and finish the interior a couple of weeks at a time. That way it's not one big project, or expense, all at once. I'm starting with the walls that will have benches since they will be attached to said walls.
Still had one more roll to install...
IMG_5998_zpsb1ba2f49.jpg

I actually got the cuts right on the first try. I know, I was shocked too!
IMG_5993_zps3d128613.jpg

Almost done. The extra meat on the corner is there to give added support for a vise...
IMG_5995_zpsbe9acc40.jpg

And the finished product...
IMG_5997_zpsf46f2367.jpg

I also did a roundover with the router on the exposed edges of the plywood. This will eventually be a workstation bench for the bench grinder, belt sander, etc. But it'll do for now until I can insulate/finish the two walls where the main bench will go.

Still insulating/covering walls.
Cuts like this make my head hurt...
IMG_6107_zps62dce6bd.jpg

A lil rough, but that's what they make molding for, right? :p
Also put in a couple of shelves and a piece of pegboard
IMG_6106_zps0269c485.jpg

IMG_6105_zps586dba71.jpg

Got fancy and mitered the corners, and routed out the back of the pegboard frame to countersink it and for peg clearance.

And with that scrap of pegboard I have moved a part of my Dads workshop into mine. It was part of a bench that he made.
I'd been using it under my carport, but with new benches being built in the shop, it'll be taken apart to clear the carport.
I'll likely incorporate some of the wood from it into the main bench I'll build in the shop.

Back
Top Bottom