Because I don't have enough to do, building new frame for my Ducati.

Long story short, i picked up excel 18×2.15 rims new for 70 each that were drilled of them. I will end up with the hubs, rotors, spokes, and rims, costing only 500.

I have to take photos of everything and put it up here. Heres the rims with the rear laced. I ordered matching spokes for the front wheel, will have that laced next week. Im going to be making a big push on a different bike next week, but i will at least get everything layed out for this one. The real fun doesnt happen til the jig gets here.

Attachments

• 20171221_222437(0).jpg
    20171221_222437(0).jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 269
Nice looking bits there!!

Question (and I'm no expert...it's just cause lacing wheels is front of mind as I recently did mine...):
There's an interesting looking spoke pattern in your laced wheel? As my eye goes 'round the rim, appears that there's a pair of spokes that cross near the rim, then a pair that don't, followed by pair that do, and so on ... Interesting, is all.....

Both sets cross, just at different points, i really didnt pay attention when i did it, just put them where they line up lol. A more fun thing to ask about is how i tune the pitch of the spokes to true them. ;D

Heh, i do it by ear actually. Once I have everything torqued i tap each spoke and check the sound. Getting the pitch right usually gets the wheels true, minus a couple of tweeks. Ive had it put it perfectly true on more than once occasion. Ive thought about figuring out the note and using a digital tuner, but i usually just use one spoke as a reference.

I usually tune my spokes to an Em6 chord. I know that some tune to a D Maj bar chord but these heavy metal chords lead to too much unsprung weight.

ya.....and although most wouldn't fret much about it, ya also run the risk of getting a flat if you hit anything sharp.

Hahahahaha love it. I haven't seen a good music joke in years.

I spent at lot of time on my lathe yesterday, managed to get the front wheel situated. For anyone interested, a 1971 cb750 rear axle fits a ducati 998 front end perfectly, and its the right 20mm diameter I needed for the kx250f hub. I made collars with the correct diameter for the forks, and spacers to center the wheel. Looks like there's enough clearance to use the much larger ducati rotor and 4 piston brembo up front, just need my friend to laser cut me an adapter to bolt it together and have the proper offset from the hub. It was getting late do I didn't take photos assembled, that's a job for today. It's looks funny having a front end with the frame neck attached and nothing behind it.

The front wheel spokes Will be here next week, then I can get the entire front end complete. The next project will be the swingarm. I have an interesting idea I want to try, which may result in a lot of scrap tube but we'll see.

Not meaningful work done lately, been overly busy finishing up a much larger build (my house hahaha) once it's complete I will be going full steam on this. I did pick up a few components to help in my design of the swingarm, and my jig arrived, I just have to pick up the tubing for it.

Back
Top Bottom