Forsa 'cheap' rear shocks?

f22hb

Anyone know what to expect from these? I've seen chinese stuff like this before, and plenty of people run them. They look good, but no spring rates or info on dampening at all?
I know it's just a cb350, but I'm wondering if it's worth it for a progressive setup if these are just for show and going to blow in a few months of actual usage.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CB350-CB360-CL350-CB400-CB450-Honda-Black-Chrome-Shocks-Adjustable-Brand-New-/280985489025?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item416c0a4e81&vxp=mtr

Even looks like dcc sells some without any branding that look the same, still no word about springrate or anything helpful the description.
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-suspension-eye-to-clevis-335mm-13-inch-black-chrome-shock-absorbers-damper-32-0203.html

Check out the Ram shocks. A well respected member here helped develope. They are on the realm engineering website. DWMS Racing can get them for you if your in the states.

I have the dcc ones right now, put them on my roller and sat on it and they didnt budge at all. Maybe its just because i dont have the motor in but they are stiff. If you're even a little concerned go for some better ones

Here in the UK we have two terms "Cheap" and "Inexpensive".

They do not have the same meaning !

Cheap is - well cheap [ cheap and nasty ], you get what you pay for.

Inexpensive is paying less for something that is good quality.

I have had many Far Eastern products over the past 5 years and in the main they break down into two catagories. Excellent value at a very "inexpensive" price. Mainly this breaks down to promotional materials [ decals, badges, patches ], electrical equipment - after all they make for most European big names ! - and items with few moving mechanical parts - eg. Monza Gas caps.

Items that rely on engineering and fine tolerances / good basic materials tend to fare not so well. EG - ANY Chinese copy of a Japanese bike ! That said - the Chinese are now making engines [ albeit to someone else's specs ] for major Western manufacturers.

So shox ? OK they're NOT Ohlins, but are they serviceable ? Will you have to replace / call on warrantee within a year ? Are they "cheap" enough to throw them away and buy a new pair after 12 / 24 months? Are they SAFE in service ?

Some of those questions cannot be answered yet as most have only been available in the past 9 - 12 months.

There are many inexpensive shox around. There's been some Spanish shox on the UK market for the past 5 years - not bad at all for sub $100 / pair, but you wouldn't want to fit them if you were a courrier doing 100,000 miles a year !

Again - how many miles a year do we actually ride on our Cafe Racer / Specials ?

Effectively there's only two things between you and the road - your tyres and your shox - I wouldn't want to take chances on either ............................... 8)

Good stuff, I was just surprised at the amount of people who have them so I thought maybe there was something I didn't know. There are also a nice set of NOS redwing's with 70/130 springs. Isn't that alittle stiff for a cb350 and a 130lbs rider though, I was expecting to see 60/90's but even Progressive's lightest springs are 75/120. Is 60/90 softer than most run on the street now then? I know it was a popular setup for old flat track bikes.

I've got a set of hammer head red wings for sale.

220259_10152148862180361_912599515_o.jpg

f22hb said:
Anyone know what to expect from these? I've seen chinese stuff like this before, and plenty of people run them. They look good, but no spring rates or info on dampening at all?
I know it's just a cb350, but I'm wondering if it's worth it for a progressive setup if these are just for show and going to blow in a few months of actual usage.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CB350-CB360-CL350-CB400-CB450-Honda-Black-Chrome-Shocks-Adjustable-Brand-New-/280985489025?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item416c0a4e81&vxp=mtr

Even looks like dcc sells some without any branding that look the same, still no word about springrate or anything helpful the description.
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-suspension-eye-to-clevis-335mm-13-inch-black-chrome-shock-absorbers-damper-32-0203.html

I bought a set of FORSA 12.25" shocks made for a Sportster, and used them on my SCR950. The shocks quite simply feel *just* like the OEM 230-mile shocks I removed, with the exception that they don't bottom when I hit a speed hump at 40mph. (They have half an inch more travel than my stock shocks). I have them on the lowest preload setting, and that feels about like the lowest preload setting on the stock SCR950 shocks. Which is to say, still a little on the stiff side. If I weighed a lot more, or had a ton of gear, or had my girlfriend on the back, I might need to up the preload. But as they are, I'm VERY happy with them. I had to buy new bushing inserts to work with the 14mm shock mounts (vs the 1/2 mounts on the Harley), and that was another $15. Though if you have a lathe you can make short work of that in minutes. I'm very happy with the performance of these shocks so far. Admittedly I have only 20 miles on them so far, but I really put them through their paces in those 20 miles and I'm VERY happy so far!

Charles.

If you are going to do cheap Chinese shocks go for the RFY's. I have customers with more than 10,000 miles on theirs and many say they are still working like they day they received them, some say they are only getting better. The quality of them (unlike many Chinese products) seems to be improving not degrading. The biggest improvement I'm starting to see is that the cast pistons are now coming ground true which is a big improvement.

Once Pittsburgh thaws out maybe I'll get in front of my mill and machine the pistons I've had drawn up for like two years. Using a 1mm end mill is going to be a blast...

Sav0r said:
If you are going to do cheap Chinese shocks go for the RFY's. I have customers with more than 10,000 miles on theirs and many say they are still working like they day they received them, some say they are only getting better. The quality of them (unlike many Chinese products) seems to be improving not degrading. The biggest improvement I'm starting to see is that the cast pistons are now coming ground true which is a big improvement.

Once Pittsburgh thaws out maybe I'll get in front of my mill and machine the pistons I've had drawn up for like two years. Using a 1mm end mill is going to be a blast...
Had to use this one on something the other day. Not a fan of stuff this small. I can't feel it cutting like something bigger, just a matter of luck I don't break them.
19fb880cc42e2a81ca8d2fb3c7c8050f.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

I bought a set of those RFY shocks about 8 years ago, and they were junk. Extremely stiff and unusable, and at that time the bushings were 2-piece plastic jobbies. Apparently they're better now, as the images I find on eBay are of better castings, there are more length options (11" was the max back then), and the bushings are rubber. I didn't go for RFY because of my previous bad experience... and because FORSA (also known as MDI) makes all the shocks for EMGO, and I've had good luck with EMGO shocks in the past on various bikes and builds.

Charles.

You got the wrong spring rate, a pretty common mistake. There are a few different options in spring rate these days.

I've had some pretty bad luck with EMGO myself, some of the worst coils I've ever had. I guess nothing is a given anymore.

There wasn't much available back then. They were marketed for the CB750, and I put them on a CX500. 36lbs of difference between those two bikes. Plus my fat arse. They should have been at least usable. But I digress, they were junk back then. I'd be willing to give them another try. However, the FORSA feel great and they look spectacular on the bike with the black housing and red springs. The handling is so much better than stock now, I have no cause to find a different shock at the moment.

That said... out of curiosity, do you know the travel of the RFY shocks by any chance?

Charles.

They don’t market well, at least in that they have no idea what a CB750 needs. Travel depends on the length shock, but a 320mm unit has 2.75”. With a little adjustment it can be quite a bit more.

Not a sales plug - however .......................... ;)

ALL RAMSHOX are selected and assembled AFTER the order is placed and we know - the weight of the bike, ditto rider and riding style - ie leisurely, fast or looney tunes.

Only after that info is received are the shox built [ in the UK and fully UK manufactured ] with the valving AND spring rate selected to suit. Nearly all "normal" length Twinshox [ and Mono ] have FOUR INCHES OF TRAVEL.

Spring platform is adjustable to set spring height and preload and dampening has simple [ no tools ] instant adjustment.

LOW volume, bespoke shox developed by ENTHUSIASTS.

Attachments

• BKS speedworks 2014_S-44.jpg
    BKS speedworks 2014_S-44.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 553
  • ad5.jpg
    ad5.jpg
    608 KB · Views: 297
  • S ON AVON 003.jpg
    S ON AVON 003.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 260
  • shelby graduation sept 2014 017.jpg
    shelby graduation sept 2014 017.jpg
    964.9 KB · Views: 217
  • shelby graduation sept 2014 018.jpg
    shelby graduation sept 2014 018.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 254
I'll also say that I have spoken with Beachbomber several times about carrying his units as a part of my suspension sales and in the small amount of contact I've had with his products they are top rate. Unfortunately life keeps getting in the way on end I never quite seal the deal.

Sav0r said:
I'll also say that I have spoken with Beachbomber several times about carrying his units as a part of my suspension sales and in the small amount of contact I've had with his products they are top rate. Unfortunately life keeps getting in the way on end I never quite seal the deal.

One day ????? Over 500 of these units [ bike ] sold to date with virtually no advertising - word just gets around. And it helps when racers like Ben Kingham win championships year after year [ 3 outright B.E.A.R.S. champion ] using RAM products. several peeps of this parish are using them. Other makes of shox available .......................

I meant to say “on my end”.

I’m not sure what you are asking, but one day soon I’d like to make it happen.

Those Ramshox do sound interesting. But to use a shock with 4" of travel I'd have to build a belt tensioner. Belt drive and suspension travel are not friends. I'm happy with what I have for now. Maybe before my big alaska trip next year I'll upgrade to a longer suspension shock (and build the tensioner to support that). In the meantime I'm just going to ride my arse off!

Charles.

Attachments

• IMG_3596.jpg
    IMG_3596.jpg
    808.1 KB · Views: 258
Back
Top Bottom