77 GS550 project

I cleaned out some slight surface rust in the gas tank this afternoon with CLR. I should be able to attach the new petcock and gas lines this weekend and see if it'll fire up. I plan on changing the inline gas filter a few times after I get it back on the road. The front caliper rebuild parts have been ordered and I'm still looking for a replacement front master cylinder.

My new ride has been keeping me from working on my project:

I installed a new petcock and fuel lines this afternoon, put some gas in the tank and using my temporary battery got it started:

Shorai battery and tender on the wish list, then find someone to throw some paint on it, find a new front master cylinder, install the seat and tighten up a few bolts...*-)

What color should it be? Wife says red.

1FA8457E-90FF-4D84-A44E-1E1097E4C676-8641-00000F78CBAE2D89_zpsfe3c0d59.jpg

murder that bad boy out, matte black with gloss black accents. It would look boss with that raw aluminum engine.

How did you mount your seat? I couldn't really tell from the picture... I have the DCC leather seat that is the same style and I'm trying to figure out how to mount it..

Looking good btw

Here is the aluminum bracket I made for the seat

and here is how it attaches, or will attach to the back of the frame with some Dzus fasteners or maybe just bolts:

I intend to get longer shocks to keep the tire from hitting the bottom of the battery holder.

The front mounts slide into these:

I used a wire wheel, steel wool and elbow grease. They don't look that good close up but the bike isn't meant to be a show piece.

Back
Top Bottom