1972 Nopar Volksrod Hellride

SONIC. said:
What they don't make a one piece formed radiator hose for this thing?
Just tell the guy at autozone the make and model and they will find it for you 8) ::)

Nothing annoys me more than the guys at autozone asking me the make and model when I have already told them what I need.

It's a 1976 GMC motorhome : blank stares
It's a chevy 350 grafted into a bmw : blank stares
It's a vortec 350 in a boat: blank stares.
It's a (god forbid) Motorcycle :blank stares
It's a volksrod: WTF?

Just shut up and let me rummage around behind the counter until I find what I need.
Hahahaha. Yep. My Box Chevy is a motor out of an 87 Blazer, so it's really fun getting parts for it, when I don't just order from Rock Auto or Summit. I often rummage through the back looking for hose bends. That's how I converted the plastic tubes for my airhead air box to rubber. This hose is as it came to me, except that I shortened it to move the radiator back a few inches and turned it for the new thermostat housing. I changed the thermostat housing from an angled piece to a straight piece in anticipation of changing this radiator to a center port (or whatever you call that coolant outlet on top).

The tribulations of bias-ply tires. A cut on the inner sidewall got me a tow home. I believe the Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R Radial is in my future.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Attachments

• IMG_3306.JPG
    IMG_3306.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 774
  • IMG_3308.JPG
    IMG_3308.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 428
CrabsAndCylinders said:
Damn, any rim damage?
Minor. No dents, but a little bit of rash I was able to file out. I was able to get myself down before the tire shredded and it pretty much kept them off the ground except when I had to turn.

Glad there was no major damage or injuries. I bet the tow driver had never seen anything like it!

Rider52 said:
Glad there was no major damage or injuries. I bet the tow driver had never seen anything like it!
Much thanks. He said he was telling his gf on the phone that he would be just a few. He was going to pick up a college girl in a “Beetle Bug” with a flat tire.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Well that sucks.
Can you patch the sidewall on a Bias?
I know another set's gonna get pricey quick, any bandaid until then?

SONIC. said:
Well that sucks.
I know another set's gonna get pricey quick, any bandaid until then?
It wore the side wall down on the body pretty bad. $733 for the set of Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R Performance radial tires I plan to get, with install and balance. My Philly house goes on the market this week. As soon as it sells, I'll hit send on ordering the tires. I'll save the one good tire, buy another eventually, then save a set for the drag strip to run off the street.

I'm starting to think I cut the tire driving some twisties through Sumter National Forest, and it took about 3 miles to blow. I suspect drag slicks don't have a crazy amount of sideways strength, LOL, which caused it to roll into the self-tapping screw the PO used to mount a bracket. This dude loved self-tapping screws. This rod, otherwise, handled better than expected. I think with a good street radial, I'll enjoy that type of hooning much better, and not have to worry about the same incident.

SONIC. said:

They make tubes for these. I could probably run a patch inside, and a tube and get away with a few miles on it. $100 for a tube would be the price of such a band-aid. If it looks like the house will sit on the market more than a month, I may go this route, if for no other reason than to get the rear end off jack stands.

1fasgsxr said:
I hear the Hossiers are better.
Depends on what you're looking for. For what I'm looking for, the Hoosier Pro Street and MT Sportsman S/R are virtually the same tire by the numbers. Tread design is the main difference.

This whole process has taught me things I didn't know about drag tires. Like, why did it feel like I had flat spots or wheels out of balance? Because they actually had flat spots. Apparently, bias-ply tires flat spot very quickly, so you can't leave them on the car very long while it sits. That's why you see wheels stored by race teams on their side. The sidewall thing I learned the hard way this weekend. I knew better, but didn't really think much of it, until I had to.

When it comes down to it, I'm just a Mickey Thompson fan. We ran their dirt tires a lot on our trucks growing up, and I love the M/T SBC parts that have been on the market for years.

Drag race tires aka wrinkle walls, have no appreciable sidewall strength and can puncture really easily even at street type PSI.

teazer said:
Drag race tires aka wrinkle walls, have no appreciable sidewall strength and can puncture really easily even at street type PSI.
Slow motion videos of top fuel wrinkle slicks never cease to satisfy.
36dbfcf97e439dd47f9f129bed74f712.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

teazer said:

This allows them to stretch so much that at higher speeds they create a "gear change" because the outside diameter of the tire is increased.

Back
Top Bottom