Another kick at a rebuild

I'm still new to the forum and I just recently found your build. All I can say is well done! You did an increadable job on the bike. Your build is very inspirational to me because I'm working on a cm400t right now for my first bike. Great job!

Whoa. very nice port work. Whats your process, what bits and grits do you use? and just to make myself feel worse about how bad I am at porting, how long did it take you?

Jaeson: sorry for the hijacking...I'll try and keep it short mate.

dp9: My process? Well, I learned initially from a crusty old school stock car engine builder. By crusty I mean he was in his early 80's and was an old moonshine runner. That's pretty much where the whole stock car thing came from. Anyway, the process depends a lot on what you're trying to accomplish. This motor is naturally aspirated and tuned to 10/10ths so most of my porting work was aimed at the upper rpms; 6-9000rpm. I use a variety of tools from your basic die grinder and burs to a Dremel, I have made what amount to specialized chisels for carving stuff that requires a more delicate hand than the howling die grinder eating everything it comes to. I use various sanding products to do the final finishing, my latest favorite being a chunk of red scuffy pad on the end of a 1/2" wood dowel. Also if you're not making silicone molds of the ports and testing your work with a plaster mock-up head you're likely doing more harm than good. Porting is as much voodoo and black magic as it is science....anyone that says otherwise is full of it....

Thanks Joe, that's right around 50hp worth of porting (with all the rest of the goodies)on my autocross Neon.

ponycarman said:
I'm still new to the forum and I just recently found your build. All I can say is well done! You did an incredible job on the bike. Your build is very inspirational to me because I'm working on a cm400t right now for my first bike. Great job!

Thanks. Your in the best place for support and a point in the right direction. This was my first build too (4 years ago now.) Its been a wild ride so far. What year is your bike?

Hey Swagger, just getting things lined up. I should be attacking that engine by next month. Just waiting on some funds to recharge.

Re: Re: Another kick at a rebuild

Canuck Plumber said:
Thanks. Your in the best place for support and a point in the right direction. This was my first build too (4 years ago now.) Its been a wild ride so far. What year is your bike?

Its a 1980. Not in bad shape but it needed a few things. I didn't really feel comfy learning to ride it without doing some maintenance on it. I've been doing a little bit of work on it when I have certain things taken apart for the regular maintenance. I'm also doing a couple upgrades. Got to get her going right soon. This is my first bike build but also my first bike ever. I'm afraid to make it too nice. I don't want to mess it up with a newb mistake.

S'all good man. Always remember. God hates a coward. There's nothing you could do to that bike that you couldnt undo. Well...almost nothing... Not to mention some mistakes are more costly than others. Upholstery has been one of my more expensive mistakes. I've had the same seat re upholstered four times now at 150 bucks a pop. Guess how stupid I felt after each redo?

Haha yeah. So far its all good. The biggest hurdles I'm seeing are going to be the seat and the tuning. Probably going to take a shot at making my own seat. Im not sure how it will turn out though lol. And the tuning I don't know where to begin.

Well, don't hesitate to ask for pointers. The best advice I've ever found was all right here. Everyone was doing fiberglass seats and they looked amazing but, as with most builders we always look to "one up" the next guy/gal so I noticed a few cats doing up some seats by cutting up an old tank and stretching it over the existing seat pan. I wasn't very good with glass so this seemed like the obvious choice. Brazed it up, lots of grinding sanding and filling and viola, I had a new seat. There are a ton of different ways to build them in here. I would take a look at a few threads and borrow a bit from each to come up with something all your own. Once again, don't hesitate to ask. I've yet to meet anyone in here that wasn't happy to give some direction. Same for tuning.

Now, get er done.

Canuck

Jaeson: sorry for the hijacking...I'll try and keep it short mate.

Swagger, it's all good man. Besides, every time you post I get to see that avatar of yours. Keep posting. ;')

Canuck Plumber said:
Well, don't hesitate to ask for pointers. The best advice I've ever found was all right here. Everyone was doing fiberglass seats and they looked amazing but, as with most builders we always look to "one up" the next guy/gal so I noticed a few cats doing up some seats by cutting up an old tank and stretching it over the existing seat pan. I wasn't very good with glass so this seemed like the obvious choice. Brazed it up, lots of grinding sanding and filling and viola, I had a new seat. There are a ton of different ways to build them in here. I would take a look at a few threads and borrow a bit from each to come up with something all your own. Once again, don't hesitate to ask. I've yet to meet anyone in here that wasn't happy to give some direction. Same for tuning.

Now, get er done.

Canuck

Thanks for the advice buddy! Ill do my best haha

It's been a few years. I almost forgot about this thread. Crazy how time flies. The bike is still sitting in the shop. I look at it everyday. The dream ain't over

CleanO2 Carbon Capture Tech

Busy! I've jumped around schools and jobs and am now 8 months away from graduating college.
Hopefully have my own shop space in a year.

Looks like you've been away a while too (at least this thread). Its hard to stay active on here when the bikes are on the backburner.

Having a shop is tops. What are you taking in college?

I've been trying to figure things out. Being a father takes a fair bit of time but it's a blast.

Hope our paths cross somewhere down the road.

CleanO2 Carbon Capture Tech

Back
Top Bottom