1st time build-1980 Suzuki GS750 Cafe

Since I grinding off all the tabs for the guards I'm not sure how I would make something temporary. I guess I'll take it slow when I'm at that point and if its causing a huge mess I can rig something up. I have way more problems ahead of me before that. After the engine is installed it's down to the electrical which is going to be my biggest weakness since I don't have a clue. Thanks

On my '80 GS I layed the engine on its side and lowered the bare frame down onto it. Single handedly installing the engine was so much easier and controlled. As for your chain lube, some chains come in a packing grease, most have an excess that can be removed with a shop towel prior to installing... Did it have an instruction sheet? Some recommend washing in a slovent and relubing with a chain grease before installing

Hoosier Daddy said:
On my '80 GS I layed the engine on its side and lowered the bare frame down onto it. Single handedly installing the engine was so much easier and controlled.

+1!!!

I propped the engine on its side on a well padded furniture dolly, and lowered the frame over it then with the help of a come-a-long as an overhead winch, lifted the bike and motor upright...

Finally with a little warm weather I was able to clean up and paint the engine. I'll spend this week taking some bolts off to polish then trying to get this in the frame without either getting scratched.

Attachments

• photo 1 (2).JPG
    photo 1 (2).JPG
    782.3 KB · Views: 268
Well I was able to get the engine in by laying it on it's side like you guys said with little scratching. I couldn't resist putting everything back on to see the overall look.

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 1,093
Makes me want to tear mine back down and start over!!!
Has anyone brought up using an aluminum swingarm off of a GS1100? I thought I'd bring it up before you go much further. Fairly simple mod by either drilling the holes in the frame to accept the larger 1100 pivot bolt or sleeving the bearing in the swinger for the smaller 750 pivot bolt to pass through.
I know this because I just happen to have one waiting to be installed on mine. ;D

GS1IOOALUMINUMSWINGARM.jpg

Yours has to be gettin close Bubba, time for an update on yours I think.
I added to my post Brodie, might interest you to recheck it. ;)

What would be the benefit of the wider swingarm? A fatter rear tire? That would be one of my complaints is the tire width is pretty narrow. Do you just drill out the existing hole bigger? Everything else buttons up the same?

It's longer and lighter.... I don't recall it being wider, the 750 rear wheel can be used.
And yes, you just drill out the existing hole bigger to accomodate the GS1100 larger diameter pivot bolt.
*EDIT* I can measure the width of both at the chain adjusters if you are interested.

I see, might look into that down the road. I have so much to still do and riding weather is almost here. Well besides the 10 inches of snow they predict for tonight...ugh!! I do have another random out of sequence dumb question. I bought a headlight bucket and bulb from DCC, but there is no hardware except the wire harness. How do you mount the headlight bulb inside the bucket?

Once I get the engines covers polishes I still need to do the electrical (UGH!!), brakes, exhaust, carbs, lighting, controls. Damn winter set me back. Hopefully I can get it done for spring and not till summer.

Back
Top Bottom