Sreter's '73 CB750 Cafe Project

namelesspenguin said:
everything looks good so far. cant wait 'til you get it running.

I want the Works you have on your vdub

Thank you. Yea its frustrating not being able to ride it but I'm still troubleshooting and trying to figure out what I'm missing to have it running again.

And yea the Works are my babies haha I've completely rebuilt them several times and in the process of rebuilding them once again to change up the color and make them fit a little better.

Good start bud! When I saw you put those pods on I said "Oh those will be coming off soon". If that bikes been sitting a while those carbs are probably gummed up. You'll want to rebuild those or at least clean them out. Also the forks are going to be hell to get off if you ever need to remove them. The clearance is so tight in the triples that the paint will probably hold them in. Looks good in the meantime though I suppose.

hope you can get her running good ,ni wrapping job !!
you will want to get rid of the lowering blocks and put the shocks back in the original mounts
that is if you want the bike to handle well at all

xb33bsa said:
hope you can get her running good ,ni wrapping job !!
you will want to get rid of the lowering blocks and put the shocks back in the original mounts
that is if you want the bike to handle well at all

thank you.

yea that's on my list of things to do along with all new shocks (probably Hagons or progressives) and rebuilding the forks with progressive springs

legendary_rider said:
Good start bud! When I saw you put those pods on I said "Oh those will be coming off soon". If that bikes been sitting a while those carbs are probably gummed up. You'll want to rebuild those or at least clean them out. Also the forks are going to be hell to get off if you ever need to remove them. The clearance is so tight in the triples that the paint will probably hold them in. Looks good in the meantime though I suppose.

thanks! I have already cleaned out the carbs and will most likely be rebuilding them pretty soon. And yea I already tried removing the top tree to remove the factory headlight ears and they did not want to budge at all so i just ended up cutting those off since I wasnt going to reuse them anyways. I'll have to figure out what i want to do with that dis-assembly when i cross that bridge. My main focus is getting the motor running reliably and then I'll move onto upgrading the suspension and lastly will be cosmetic stuff (paint, clip ons, new triples, wheels, etc...)

Got another goodie in the mail today... seat hoop from SonicWorks. Just waiting on the Legendary "Thruxton" seat from DCC i ordered to come in so i can have a spot to sit haha

79150B06-E9BE-4164-9604-6EF0BE1ABE2C_zpsudifhwxz.jpg

Also picked this guy up today from a local CL find for pretty cheap and its barely been used. Will definitely come in handy for the motor work i'll be doing in the next couple weeks so I can get this thing running again finally

3093891B-FA50-4EFD-8E45-24B0BF1F0DA0_zpshqijttlx.jpg

Yep those things are wickedly useful for engine work. Got an XS engine sat patiently awaiting some reworked heads on mine.

ManxieRacer said:
Yep those things are wickedly useful for engine work. Got an XS engine sat patiently awaiting some reworked heads on mine.

Nice! yea i'm excited to use it.

btw, really random question... do you by chance know if an XS750 tank will fit on a CB750? Found someone selling one and love the look of those tanks but can't seem to find any info on that on the forums

Got my Legendary "Thruxton" Seat pan from DCC the other day. Really like the look of it! Ended up canceling the order for the seat pad when i found out it was delayed so i decided i'm just gonna attempt to make my own or depending on the price, have one made professionally. Would like to have it done with a medium-dark brown leather and the top be tuck n' roll. Once I get the motor situation figured out (within the next week or so), I'll tackle the seat project so I can get on the road with this thing finally!

1C6027D5-E32C-4CFC-BF61-73614AF040C1_zpslwckncwn.jpg

No idea to be honest if the XS fits on the CB. Wouldn't be far off I wouldn't have thought... but you'd probably need to adjust the mounts.

I'm putting my XS750 tank on my BMW R60 which will take a fair bit to work!

MikaelMikkelsen said:
Great looking seat pan.
- Have you gotten your back end hoop welded on yet? :)

will hopefully get it welded on this week. its just sitting in my garage right now haha but I'm super anxious to get it on there!

ManxieRacer said:
No idea to be honest if the XS fits on the CB. Wouldn't be far off I wouldn't have thought... but you'd probably need to adjust the mounts.

I'm putting my XS750 tank on my BMW R60 which will take a fair bit to work!

yea i figured as much.

Man, I cant wait to get myself an airhead! Hopefully by the beginning of next year i'll have one. Good luck with that man, would love to see pics of the outcome

New right hand control switch. PO decided to cut off all the wires from inside the switch assembly so i had been simulating the run switch always being on by bridging some wires. Still not running though, there's some wire(s) somewhere not connected correctly (or at all) or a bad ground or something that is breaking connection bc this damn thing just will not start. Starter button does nothing either (lets just say I'm gonna have a Popeye right leg soon)... having someone look at it today to finally figure out what it is that i'm missing. Fingers crossed its something simple so I can start riding it soon!

E58F2E67-11A2-4C1D-964E-C03D3BD8931C_zpsoksjifn1.jpg

Have you checked the points? My 75 had some issues with the points they made contact and would actually fire occasionally but more often than not it would just crank over and not start with no indication of it actually trying to fire. not sure entirely of your issue. But it is definitely something to check out.

Madcap Att said:
Have you checked the points? My 75 had some issues with the points they made contact and would actually fire occasionally but more often than not it would just crank over and not start with no indication of it actually trying to fire. not sure entirely of your issue. But it is definitely something to check out.

Thanks alot for chiming in. Yea I wouldn't doubt it if thats one of the major issues. I actually dropped it off yesterday with someone locally that knows what they're doing to take a look and see what they think. So hopefully I can get to the bottom of it in the next few days. I think as of now, even though I'm sure the points/timing and carb tuning are off, its gotta be something in the wiring that I'm missing and its not making a connection. Bc nothing has changed aside from a new harness and it was at least running before that (although really rough which is where the points and carb sync/tuning issue probably comes in).

Sreter said:
Thanks alot for chiming in. Yea I wouldn't doubt it if thats one of the major issues. I actually dropped it off yesterday with someone locally that knows what they're doing to take a look and see what they think. So hopefully I can get to the bottom of it in the next few days. I think as of now, even though I'm sure the points/timing and carb tuning are off, its gotta be something in the wiring that I'm missing and its not making a connection. Bc nothing has changed aside from a new harness and it was at least running before that (although really rough which is where the points and carb sync/tuning issue probably comes in).

Sounds like you got a handle on it then. Hope it turns out well. I am on board for this one!

So the bike is finally up and running. Points were pretty off and are now reset and I went ahead and did a valve adjustment. There were a couple wiring mistakes I made but they're all taken care off and my starter is now hooked up so I dont have to kill my leg anymore from kicking it! Only bad thing is that somehow I'm missing the "special washer" inside the points cover that I used to adjust the crank shaft? not really sure how that's missing bc it creates a binding and I cant seem to find this thing available anywhere... BikeBandit and other similar online stores don't have this piece available...

Anyone know any salvage yards in the Birmingham, AL area?

Back
Top Bottom