Cb360 Build

bitsq

Hey Guys,

So im almost a year into my CB360 build, I bought the bike late last fall and have been working on it slowly ever since. (I got married this past spring... wedding planning/honeymoon planning took up most of my free time) This is my first cafe racer project so i'm taking my time and making sure the bike turns out exactly how i want it. This is my second build, the first was a complete restoration of the first bike i owned which was a 1987 Suzuki LT50. Attached are a few of my pictures to show how my project is progressing.

My First Project

This is how the CB looked when I first got it home

The first thing i did was purchase a carb kit and got the bike running - it actually fired up pretty easily after sitting for so many years

I pulled most of the motor apart to inspect/clean everything, i was surprised at how clean everything was for the age of the bike.
The motor was painted last weekend (do you like my paint baking heater under the motor? :) )

I just finished the tail section in fiberglass, i will be bringing the bike to the shop to finish up all of the welding, body work, and painting

Still trying to decide on a colour theme, either classic red and black or go with a 3 stage deep blue pearl paint and dark grey frame, thoughts?

I'll try to keep posting pictures here as the bike progresses.

I decided I didn't like the original seat design, so I bought a new seat from dime city cycles. Here are some of the updated pics

So i spent my saturday polishing and making a bracket for the tach

now begins the teardown and cleaning for paint!

So i want to remove the fuel door off of the tank for body work and paint, it looks like it's a specialty rivet that holds it on. What can i use to secure it when I reattach?

Also, i'm trying to think of something to do with the riser holes on the top triple clamp. Shave them off and weld a block off plate for a clean flat look? install the key in one hold and dash lights in the other? other ideas i'm open to suggestions?

Use a nail to knock the pin out on the fuel cap, you can either reuse the pin or use a cotter pin on the cap when you put it back on.

Put a neutral and high beam light in the holes, leave the key under the tank, cooler that way.

Have you pulled the springs out of those shocks and verified the tire won't hit? I know I've com close to bottoming my 360 out a time or two, its an inch from hitting in stock configuration.

Pretty sure the tyre is going to hit the plate you welded in. Get a bar and drill 12mm/1/2" holes on 9.5" centers. That's about the compressed length of shock with springs removed.Bolt bar in place of shocks
I put flasher 'idiot lights' in the handlebar mounting holes ;D

Thanks for the suggestions.
We measured the shock travel before welding in the block out plate for the rear seat, so rubbing shouldn't be an issue.

I spent all day sanding and cleaning up the frame. Everything is nice and clean and smooth now :)
The frame should be primed this week then into paint. Next I have to work on the tank

More progress pics

New guage face plate courtesy of BCBarker from dotheton

Here is a shot of the wheels. The fronts have been polished and cleaned and the rears still need to be done. I will most likely keep the stock rims for now. The goal is to be riding the bike for the summer and I think tearing into the wheels will eat up alot of time. They can be my project for next winter.

[URL=http://s83.photobucket.com/user/bitsq/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150325_205028.jpg.html]

assembly pictures

Motors in

I had to test out the seat and tank.. tank still needs work

So I changed the faceplate on my tach this week. I think it looks really good :)
Does anyone have any tips for securing the chome ring around the gauge base? I'm trying to be gentle with it so I do not scratch or deform it, but the problem is I don't think it has a tight enough seal.

Wrap masking tape around tips of pliers.
It's stainless steel not chrome so some marks can be polished out with 1000~2000 wetordry

I hate wiring!

I was messing around with it all day. I can't figure out why the harness doesn't have power. I plugged in all of the original plugs, checked te grounds.. still nothing. Something silly I'm missing?

Back
Top Bottom