72 CL100, Piglet

Re: Rachels, 72 CL100, First (documented) start up

Shinko 244

31satERI7QL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Shinko-244-Dual-Sport-Front/dp/B001CDC1XI

M62 tires are great!
last forever, perform well and look good.
Defiantly the way to go.

Don't use synthetic oil in an old bike. Even more so with a wet clutch.

That "beer rack" is the best mod ever to these bikes.

Don't run a pod or a short exhaust, they HATE that.

Personally I don't see the point of the 12v swap. Do you need that much of a better selection of light bulbs?

surffly said:
Personally I don't see the point of the 12v swap. Do you need that much of a better selection of light bulbs?
Do you have a 6v bike? The bulbs are $30 - $45. The charging systems are basically awful. Many of these 6v bulbs see a significant performance difference with the lights off. 6v lights, unless LED, are not as bright. Nearly all, if not all options for 6v LEDs come from China or Taiwan, so there is a shipping lag. If he actually intends on riding this off road, the filaments in the stock bulbs are notoriously weak and prone to breaking. It's very common to ride home with no functioning headlight and these bikes. That said, I've kept my XL 6v, but the conversion will likely happen down the road.

deviant said:
Do you have a 6v bike? The bulbs are $30 - $45. The charging systems are basically awful. Many of these 6v bulbs see a significant performance difference with the lights off. 6v lights, unless LED, are not as bright. Nearly all, if not all options for 6v LEDs come from China or Taiwan, so there is a shipping lag. If he actually intends on riding this off road, the filaments in the stock bulbs are notoriously weak and prone to breaking. It's very common to ride home with no functioning headlight and these bikes. That said, I've kept my XL 6v, but the conversion will likely happen down the road.

Yup I own one. And ride it regularly.
Never had a issue.
How often are you replacing bulbs anyway?
Only the headlight is expensive.

I have not seen any performance difference lights on or off. Never had to ride home with no lights either.
Worked for years, see not reason to change.

I bought the 6v battery. So, plan to stick w that for now.

surffly said:
Yup I own one. And ride it regularly.
Never had a issue.
How often are you replacing bulbs anyway?
Only the headlight is expensive.

I have not seen any performance difference lights on or off. Never had to ride home with no lights either.
Worked for years, see not reason to change.
I actually ride mine off road... a lot. I've replaced stock bulbs twice so went to H4 halogen and two LED spots when I customized. Also, the brightness is relative to rpm. Maybe it's just a difference in bikes. I know a few who have done the upgrade and it's so easy and not a bad proposition. To each his own.

Bike looks and sounds awesome - what a score, and nice to see it come back to life.

My little ST90 is 6v and I'll probably leave it like that. If I was worried about riding home in the dark without a headlight, I'd strap a decent bicycle light to the handlebars for that sort of emergency.

I might convert mine to 12v at some point - doesn't seem like there's too much involved.

Thanks guys, yep I think rachel and I will get along w the 6v system just fine for the time being. Shes not gonna be doing any off roading or high speed night driving for quite some time. lol

DAY 4

She started up pretty easily (5 kicks, more or less)

I got the timing set w strobe light. Kinda a pain in the butt. Had to use my old 12v 360 battery to power the light.

Worked on Air/Fuel mix. Im gonna look into a new carb. This thing leaks air from every screw needle and the threads around jets. So it runs pretty sporadically. When I cleaned it w compressor yesterday. Bubbles came out everywhere.

Next task is getting the throttle control apart so I can spray some lube in the cable. She wont even try to return without me rolling it back. So, idle speed adjustment is almost useless. it returns different every time.

I ordered an adaptor kit for the compression gauge (12mm plug).

Probably not much happening til after the Thaw. Be there or be square.

Awesome looking bike! Gkad you got it firing up. Im in.

Thanks for checking in.

Ordered a peacock this morning.

Peacock ? ! Lol

I also put the meter on the battery and got 7.1volts at idle. What up w that?

Yeah not sure about the voltage. Im in awe of how clean the inside of the tank is. Incredible, thought mine was rust free till i saw this one haha. What are you working on this rainy weekend?

Re: Rachels, 72 CL100, The good (well not terrible) the bad & the ugly

The good news the comp gauge adapters came in while I was at the Spring Thaw.

Not ideal/Not terrible, 148psi will get us by for a while. Atleast I know rings and valve clearences are decent. Any lower and I would check valve adjustment.

11494-190515072801.jpeg

Looking deeper into the tank I am just amazed.

11494-190515072640-10062303.jpeg

Working to remove old petcock, of course stripped the head on the screw. Time for JIS screwdrivers.
I drilled the head and popped it off. Soaked in penetrant and using channel locks spun it out.
11494-190515072640-1008744.jpeg

11494-190515072640-10091145.jpeg

thanks goodness tank threads are still in good shape.

11494-190515072641-10101083.jpeg

Buyer beware, Opened new ebay petcock and found it didnt contain the bowl screen. GRRRR :mad:
The original bowl screen dont fit the new one. DOUBLE GRRRR :mad: :mad:

11494-190515072641-101180.jpeg

While all this was going on I noticed some strange bumps under tank and started digging into that.

TRIPLE GRRRRR :mad: :mad: :mad:

11494-190515072640-10071682.jpeg

After watching some youtube vids about welding and brazing repairs...

Gonna run the tank into Marks radiator shop to see if he can give her an acid bath, (thanks matt ;) ) OR DIY w evapo-rust, get a bondo fiberglass kit and Eastwood creme kit. Do my level best to save her.

carnivorous chicken said:
Should have a foot peg bar w kickstand from a CL175 -- dunno if you still need one or if it will fit, but lemme know if you're interested.

I am interested let me get mine off and get some measurements.

trek97 said:
I am interested let me get mine off and get some measurements.

I don't think they are going to be the same.

I'm going to pickup a 72 cb175 frame and I been checking to see what the differences are.

Looks like most all won't fit. I was mostly interested in the seat on that frame, looks to be in perfect shape. Don't look like it will fit a CB100 either, but what the heck. Buying it anyways.

148 cold will go up once you run her a bit. Should be in the 175 -180 warm after fresh oil and hot engine. Bummer about the tank as it is really clean inside otherwise.

The whole reason I am working so hard to save this tank. Right now the few CL100 tanks on ebay are listed twixed $150 - $250 and probably in no better condition than this one. :eek: :mad:

Holy cow. I took the tank into Marks radiator shop. As soon as I pulled in I remembered going there w my old man when I was a kid. And NOTHING has changed.
Not even the help, the old boy I was talking w has been working in there 36+ years. As friendly as he could be. I showed him the tank and asked, "if he could boil it clean for fiberglass and creme", turns out hes confident they can fix it "properly".

He promised me it "WOULDNT BE PRETTY" LOL

I chuckled and said "You should my other bike! ;D"

I asked for a time and cost estimate. Maybe tomorrow and maybe $45 bucks. Unless they find more thin spots.

"As long as its right, do it." He just smiled.

11494-190515142448.jpeg

woohoo, this shiny new little jewel just showed up in the mailbox.

11494-190515153907.jpeg

trek97 said:
Looking deeper into the tank I am just amazed.

TRIPLE GRRRRR :mad: :mad: :mad:

11494-190515072640-10071682.jpeg

After watching some youtube vids about welding and brazing repairs...

Gonna run the tank into Marks radiator shop to see if he can give her an acid bath, (thanks matt ;) ) OR DIY w evapo-rust, get a bondo fiberglass kit and Eastwood creme kit. Do my level best to save her.

That's exactly what my tank looks like after a few vinegar treatments...............guess I need to check out the radiator shop way.........or trade the cb350 tank I got to replace it.

Back
Top Bottom