ghetto spring rate tester

xb33bsa

Over 1,000 Posts
more and more shocks to build and boxes full of mystery springs..what to do?
a yardsale, free pile drill press frame and a 12 dollers new ebay mechanical scale .some bits of hardware i had in stock and ..voila what you see
i simply set the quill stop at 3''(after putting a few lbs load on the spring then zero the scale) then using a block of aluminum that is 1x2 i record the poundage at 1,2,3'' tag the spring makes it easy to find it mate as well
the quill and rack and pinion gear wear like new no wear it has easily tested a fox 11'' 125lb spring(a very heavy spring for dual shock vintage mx apps) at 3'' (375 LBS) for heavier springs i may limit load to 400lbs i dunno what kind of threshold this lashup will endure the rack and pinion aint gonna fail it is quite stout
the only obvious issue i saw right off was flex in the frame, too much of it ...is why i lashed on a tension member at the front this has effectively eliminated that ishoe
sure there are spring calculaters online where you plug in the physical dimensions but it is a fiddly task to carefully measure each spring, i never could focus very well onnit

Attachments

• DSCN2571.JPG
    DSCN2571.JPG
    470.6 KB · Views: 168
  • DSCN2572.JPG
    DSCN2572.JPG
    454.2 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCN2570.JPG
    DSCN2570.JPG
    462.4 KB · Views: 156
Back
Top Bottom