First bike. First build.

Pez27

Hey guys, I've been looking through the site for a while and decided to try a cafe/brat build myself. I got a good deal on a running 1980 Honda CM400a Hondamatic... Yes, I know automatic motorcycles are sacrilegious to some people and the fact that this bike looks like a rolling turd at the moment doesn't help. But hopefully I can fix that. With that said I have limited mechanical skills so I figured by posting here I could get some feedback on what works and what fails.

I have already taken the rear wheel off the bike and replaced the tire. I have new super bike handlebars, grips, LED taillight strip. I want to take out the existing airbox and replace it with pod filters, but I'm not sure about re-jetting the carbs so any info on that would be great. Also, I'm not sure how to post my bike pics on here so I just attached it, hopefully that works. All suggestions are welcomed.

Attachments

• IMG_0552.JPG
    IMG_0552.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 225
You're in the right place mate, plenty of good people here with all the know-how you'll need and then some. Have fun making that ride your own - I know I am =)

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I'm really not trying to be a jerk, But I agree with the sell it. You will NEVER get your $ back out of this thing. I know, I know, I'm never going to sell it. Well, several things happen, you learn to ride and it dawns on you this thing is a pig and you want something that can get out of it's own way. Half way through the project, it dawns on you, you could have waaaay too much $ in a bike you can't give away. Look, if this was a 400/4 or even a 400T, but a Hondamatic... Why put $ into performance parts that will still have the bike slower than a stock 400T. Maybe clean it up and use it for future riding lessons for the wife or kids. A good 250 thumper will blow the tank off this thing. 18 second 1/4 miles means most paperboys on Schwinn's can out run you, and that's if EVERYTHING is working properly, plus I remember maintenance intervals were 1/2 of the shifter bike. Don't get me wrong, I like quirky, and if it was a 750A I'd probably be curious. But I've ridden a 400A.... It was just brutally horrible.

Now with that being said, I hope you blow everybody away with your build. Pay special attention to brakes and suspension, they were shit, especially if you weighed anything over 125lbs. Be ready to be underwhelmed by the performance, the trans sucks an amazing amount of H.P. The seat locks you into a pretty dangerous riding position if you're over 5'6". This bike was designed for small, light riders. Good luck, I hope you achieve your dream...

Back
Top Bottom