The adventure begins.

brungeman

Just wanted to show the start here. The bike I picked up is a cb650, I will be putting together a build thread for it in the near future.

cb650_zps41780481.jpg

step 1 will be to clean the carb's and get it running.

Not a bad job on the flames, though it's not likely on this forum that they're staying. :)

Rich,
Flames... pfft... no they are gone for sure. Evaluating all possibilities. May make an alloy tank if I can pull the tools together for it!

RR,
yes pretty clean. going to put the buffing wheel on overtime!

I am going to be doing a lot of this build as a class project with my Power Tech and Metals classes. It should be interesting!

I can't wait to dive in. The front brake lever is frozen, and I don't know yet if it is the MC or the Caliper. Once I get the bike into the shop, I will start the evaluation, sketching and planning for it. I have to take into account $$$.

looks like a good starter...welcome to the CB650 world, i love mine.....looking forward to how it progresses....

Getting the carbs cleaned out among other tasks (getting a snowblower running for my boss) ;)

I have been working through a few design elements with my students and we are at a point of descision making.

do we
A. clean this bike up (de-tab etc.) and build it as a brat/cafe akd BRAFE
or
B. Go complete cafe on it. (alloy tank and tail clubman or clipons etc.)

after looking and drooling through hundreds of threads and pictures I like the brat style tail because of adding a passenger, AND in the rare case I would need to transport at least the option would be there.

I also think I can get through the build with less $$$ doing a brat than cafe.

can I get a few thoughts on the matter?
I would like to build a cafe as well (alloy tank and tail etc.) I love so many bikes and want to build one of everything! :-\

"Brat" bikes are cool man. They certainly have their place. The model you picked up lends itself to that style quite well. I say go for it, and find something light and flickable to build a killer little cafe from.

agree on both accounts... the more I look at pics the more I see the small 350/360's as cafe's. I do like the bike that Dustin Kott is riding in this. Video. as 4 cylinder cafe's go, that one is pretty nice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60xXlvBVmRU

as hybrid brat/cafe's go this is pretty much cream of the crop! I am not sure I would call this completely brat style. I am digging this one.

2.%20Steel%20Bent%20Customs%20-%201981%20HONDA%20CB750%20Brat%20Style%20%20-%20SYB%20Magazine%20-%20www.syb-magazine.com%20-%20Photo.gif

That's what has turned into "bratsyle". Kind of the watered down American version. Haha... Cool bike though, and honestly not too difficult to pull off.

Yes, I wouldn't call that true "Brat" but more "Brat/Cafe" or "Brafe"

I think that so many other styles have morphed and combined... you have brat style choppers, brat cafe's, brat bobbers etc.
Bratstyle4_original.jpg

oooh nice and interesting.
HondaCB3502.jpg

I live on Perrysville ave next to the big white house I am the first house on the terrace. When you come up Connie drive at the light look to the right there I am!

why, did you see some jagoff up there?

ok . I have a real good idea now . I used to live on Connie many years ago when it let out on Perrsville at a Port Authority . I also worked at PAT in that garage for about 8 years

How long ago did you work in that garage?
Did you know my brother in law Pat Weber?

My back yard (and all the land I call my back yard) is up where the res. is on the top of the hill. basically I have quad trails in the woods under the KDKA tower.

Does your Brother in law drive or is he a mechanic ? I know the res. well we used to party up there years ago .

Pat used to Drive, but retired back with that huge group 8 or so years back.

I know one of the mechanic's/foreman up there, Jay Anthony.

Yep, the res. is my back yard. LOL

my In-laws live in one of the twin brick houses in front of St. Benedicts right next to the bus garage.

Yes I do know Jay . Worked his shift for 3 months last year . No I dont know your cousin , I dont know many drivers . We are gonna have to hook up for a couple beers one night

brungeman said:
as hybrid brat/cafe's go this is pretty much cream of the crop! I am not sure I would call this completely brat style. I am digging this one.

2.%20Steel%20Bent%20Customs%20-%201981%20HONDA%20CB750%20Brat%20Style%20%20-%20SYB%20Magazine%20-%20www.syb-magazine.com%20-%20Photo.gif

I can help you with a build like that. You'll have to come up with some magic to hide the oil tank though.

See below

Back
Top Bottom